“Rundown; Try to Avoid”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Manitowoc
Chicago
“Rundown; Try to Avoid”
Reviewed September 7, 2009

While the staff was perfectly nice, this hotel was very rundown and dated. The room was not pleasant and I tried to spend as little time as possible in it. The room was not cheap, either. If I return to the area I plan to stay in one of the neighboring towns.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank SarahR22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
kalmazoo, mi
Reviewed May 5, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a Toastmasters state convention. After reading previous reviews before going, I was prepared for quite an average experience, but was pleasantly surprised. The staff was very attentive and aimed to please whatever our requests. The food in the restaurant was good and not at all expensive in my opinion. The environment was welcoming and lent itself to lots of networking and mingling. It was worth a little extra money to stay there.

During my two days' stay, I did notice that the convenience store was never open. Another guest said it was open for a few hours in the morning. However, there are many convenience store options within a short driving distance.

I will admit that I'm perplexed this hotel can get away with charging such high rates in Manitowoc. Nonetheless, I enjoyed my stay and would stay again as long as I could get a discounted rate.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Wi
Reviewed September 29, 2008

Manitowoc is not a booming city and was shocked they could charge $139 a night for a hotel room here. We were attending a wedding at the hotel though so we stayed so we did not have to drive home late at night. For that rate, I expected the room to be very nice, a mini fridge and comfortable beds. The room was none of this. I believe the mattresses were still original to when the hotel was built. I could feel and hear springs popping in the mattress when I moved. The air conditioner in the room was LOUD and did not work very well. There was no mini fridge and the room was small. The room also had a musty smell. Overall I was very disappointed and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2008
1 Thank kimmers71
Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2008

We booked a different hotel and were dissapointed. The room smelled aweful and it was tiny. So we called Holiday inn which was a little more and they got us in. The room was nice and clean and smelled clean. Everything was comfortable and the staff was nice. We ate breakfast (kids ate free!!!) and the waitress was super nice and the food was good. We'd definately stay there again.

• Stayed July 2008
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We were stopping for the evening with our 15 month old and needed a clean room for the evening. We got one. We even called ahead (at 1030p), and asked for a crib to be put in our room. They were so ready for us that we were able to get our son out of the car, up to our room, and into the crib in about 5 minutes and he didnt wake a bit.

The blackout curtains allowed all of us to sleep in, which was great for us parents.

There are plenty of breakfast options nearby, though the in-house coffee shop looked limited.

• Liked — Proximity to interstate and helpful service
  • Disliked — Had to take elevator, rather than stairs, to second floor
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Missouri
Reviewed May 11, 2008

I don't know when I've had such a pleasant stay in a hotel. The staff was personable, yet extremely efficient. The rooms were well kept. If I were going to be in the area again, I would stay there without question. I would gladly suggest it to my friends.

Stayed May 2008
Madison
Reviewed October 12, 2007

I travel about 50% for business. Booking this online, looked okay.

Rate for a "king suite" (I presumed with a microwave and fridge), 145.00 for a weeknight.

Requested non-smoking.

When walking up to my room my eyes watered from the strong smoke smell throughout the hotel. As I entered my room, smoke smell was gone, but it smelled moldy, like there was water damage or something.

If you are a non-smoker, you will notice the film in the non-smoking room I had from years of smokers. It is stil lthere, on the ceiling tiles, everything! Gross.

Since it was late at night at checkin I decided to stay rather than go from hotel to hotel looking for a better room.

Luckily the windows opened up (35 degress out), so I opened them up all night to get fresh air, and replace the nasty mold smell.

I had room service, food was good.

Sofa in room is something left over from a college dorm room. And is a twin size pullout.

No water in the vending areas

No breakfast included, must go to their rest. if you would like to eat breakfast there.

Wireless internet service has good signal, but data flow is intermittent.

Total bill for this room with breakfast will be about 165.00, definately not worth it. It should be priced more like a super 8 or something. More like a 69.00 room.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Smoke smell everywhere
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manitowoc
Baymont Inn & Suites Manitowoc Lakefront
#6 of 6 in Manitowoc
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan

Been to Holiday Inn Manitowoc? Share your experiences!