“I Wanted to like it here...”

Holiday Inn Manitowoc
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Manitowoc
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
“I Wanted to like it here...”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Another softball weekend - stayed because the group booked rooms here. I knew the hotel was in need of renovations. I remember it when it was brand new and I don't think it's been updated since it was built, so it really does need a facelift. But, just because a hotel needs a little cosmetic work doesn't necessarily mean it's not well run or well staffed,so we were willing to give it a try.

We checked in, got to our room and all seemed OK. The carpet in hallway - a little worn and wrinkled in places, but everything seemed clean. The room SEEMED fine. My husband I left, to check out the area and get a bite to eat. Left my daughter and her friends behind because they wanted to swim. When we came back into our room after dinner.. the room... smelled like ...for lack of a better, more delicate word.. poop! :o( I thought maybe one of the kids had just used the bathroom and the odor was lingering, but then the kids came back to the room and said that they'd been in there earlier and the smell was so strong, they nearly got sick! I turned off the A/C unit, thinking maybe it was something funky in there, and opened the windows (three inches - that's all that they go) and sprayed the Febreez air freshener I happened to have brought along with me. It eventually did get better, at least enough that we could stand it. I did think about asking for a different room, but it was late, we had all our stuff in the room and I knew the hotel was sold out, and they most likely had no place to put us anyway. So.. we stayed put, sprayed air freshener, kept the windows open and managed.

So.. not so great at this point.. but not anything to rate a poor vote .. yet. But, the fact that our room was never cleaned on Saturday.. that did it! We left early (8:15am) and were gone for a few hours. When we came back around noon, the room hadn't been cleaned yet, and the housekeeping cart was a few rooms away from ours. I was a little concerned, so.. as we were leaving for the afternoon game, I stopped at the front desk to point out that our room wasn't cleaned and we needed towels. I was told they were full, the staff was working on getting towels done but that they would most definitely get our room cleaned for us. So.. at 10:15pm, when we got back to the hotel, and walked into our room, you can imagine how upset I was to find that the room had not been touched! The front desk staff apologized, and promised to call Housekeeping immediately to get it taken care of. I know I could have just told them to bring us clean towels and leave the rest, but I was MAD! so I insisted they come clean our room.. at 10:30 at night! To be fair, the young man at the front desk came himself to take care of it but it was still very, very aggravating to even be in that situation!

I did send an email to the hotel the next day, to let them know about both situations, and received a nice, apologetic response in return. I don't think that anyone else in our group had any issues, at least none that we've heard about, and considering that the hotel was sold out both nights, I guess that does say something about the overall management and staff. It's just so disappointing, considering the great location of this property and the fact that the surrounding area is growing and there are some good stores and nice restaurants close by. I honestly don't know if we'll return to this property, at least for sure not until the hotel remodel is done.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HIManitowocDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Manitowoc, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Hello and once again, our apologies for the confusion. We certainly recall your earlier correspondence, and in the meantime have been able to clarify further. Housekeeping was indeed in your room earlier in the day and did their normal “stay-over” cleaning. Evidently there were quite a few girls in the room at the time, so perhaps towels were used and/or the room further disheveled after-the-fact. As you make mention of , the property will be undergoing a full remodeling later this year and will be “brand new” in early 2014; we urge you to give us another try! Thanks for your constructive comments. Holiday Inn Manitowoc Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed June 4, 2013

we have stayed here many times and have not had one bad experience-very clean & well maintained-super friendly and helpful staff(esp. Patti at the front desk). The restaurant is quite lovely and has very good food. We had a Christmas brunch there last year and it was amazing-huge selections and everything was great. Every time we go to Manitowoc to visit family and friends, we always stay here.

Room Tip: many selections-we always in a king suite which is very affordable
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HIManitowocDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Manitowoc, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
We appreciate your thoughtful comments. As countless guests have experienced, Holiday Inn Manitowoc provides great service in a clean,well-maintained hotel setting. We look forward to seeing you again. Holiday Inn Manitowoc Management
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here for a work conference for three nights. The staff and front desk people were very nice and helpful. The rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. The pool area and hot tub were nice and well maintained. The in-house restaurant was serviceable and not bad. No free continental breakfast was available....which almost every hotel in this price range has. The fitness room was in the basement of the building which was ok with me----it had an old-school weight room feel to it. I am not sure if that would appeal to everyone however. The only negatives were that my sink in the bathroom was leaking constantly and I heard from one of my co-workers that her bathroom ceiling caved in from water leakage above her room. She had to move into another room at 10:30pm which was not fun I am sure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HIManitowocDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Manitowoc, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Hello, we’re glad that you were able to enjoy a comfortable stay, and our staff provided friendly, professional service. A full service restaurant is one perk that sets us apart from other hotels – we appreciate the opportunity to really “take care” of our guests! Next time, let us know if your guest room requires some unexpected maintenance and we’ll attend to your needs promptly. Thanks very much for your patronage. Holiday Inn Manitowoc Management
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Manitowoc for two nights. Very convenient location, walking distance to many places to eat. Service was friendly. Room was clean but clearly tired and old. A loud heating/AC unit, dated wallpaper, and a sink where the cold water sometimes doesn't turn on until you jiggle the faucet a little. The carpeting in the hallway is bunched up in some areas, which could be a tripping hazard. The bed was very comfortable. There's free wifi with decent bandwidth. Room service breakfast was prompt and well made. Overall, it was comfortable. I noticed that there was signage in the lobby that the hotel will be renovated, but folks told me those signs have been up for a year with no change. I think if it were updated I'd give it another star.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HIManitowocDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Manitowoc, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thanks for the review. Yes, the hotel will be undergoing a full renovation later this year with all public areas and guest rooms completely redone. In the meantime, we pride ourselves on friendly, efficient service, and as you noted, a clean, comfortable guest environment. Our great location will remain the same- we look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy a stay at the soon-to-be “all new” Holiday Inn Manitowoc. Holiday Inn Manitowoc Management.
Vancouver
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Have stayed here a couple of times. Location is great for highway access, restaurants in walking distance, grocery store and other needs close but still has a country feel. Staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013
HIManitowocDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Manitowoc, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hello and thanks for highlighting some of the many perks of staying at Holiday Inn Manitowoc. Located at the gateway to Manitowoc’s main shopping/restaurant district, our location is extremely convenient, and as you experienced, our staff is top-notch. See you again!
Holiday Inn Manitowoc Management
Dakota Dunes
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Holiday Inn Manitowoc Wis is an Excellent hotel with full service . The front afternoon desk clerk was a delight she remembered me from my last stay this was just a very pleasurable experience . The food was excellent all the people smiled and it seamed that they were truly happy to have you there. I will stay there every chance I have !!!!!!

Room Tip: When I pull up to the Hotel if the curtains in the rooms are not hanging strait I wonder about the h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HIManitowocDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Manitowoc, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
We appreciate your return business and thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay. We’ll be “truly happy” to welcome you back again! As you make mention of, Holiday Inn Manitowoc is a full-service property with a sit-down restaurant and lounge – we’re glad that you were able to enjoy both the food and friendly service. Holiday Inn Manitowoc Management
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My family had been on a business trip to the Upper Pennisula of Michigan when we received word that several inches of snow were on the way and we had to be in Chicago by the next afternoon. We hurriedly packed and checked out of the hotel we were staying in and started the trip through the night. I had no illusions that I would make it all the way to Chicago before the morning so planned to stop somewhere along the route.

The drive was significantly horrifying as we hit snow along Interstate-43 South as we reached Green Bay and then was faced with an almost-completely closed bridge. My wife had taken over the driving duties at that time and I am grateful to her State Trooper father for giving her the driving skills she needed.

After that we were both exhausted and knew we had to stop for what little remained of the night. Fortunately, we could see a Holiday Inn 45 miles later and stopped there. The receptionist was courteous and quickly found us a room and we carried our bags in and collapsed in a clean, well-made room. I had one of my best sleeps on the trip that night and found myself completely refreshed the next day and ready to finish my trip to Chicago and beyond afterwards. Thank you, Holiday Inn of Manitowoc.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello – I’m glad that Holiday Inn Manitowoc could come to your rescue! We’re there when roadside guests need to convenient and comfortable night’s stay. We hope to see you again under more pleasant circumstances – rest assured that we will provide the same courteous service and enjoyable accommodations. Holiday Inn Manitowoc Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manitowoc
Baymont Inn & Suites Manitowoc Lakefront
#1 of 4 in Two Rivers
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#6 of 6 in Manitowoc
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)

Been to Holiday Inn Manitowoc? Share your experiences!