“Nice stay”

Holiday Inn Manitowoc
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Manitowoc
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Traveled to Manitowoc on business and it was recommended by my client to stay at the Holiday Inn. I looked at the Trip Advisor reviews online and was skeptical about booking because of the poor reviews. It sounded like I would be staying in a musty, run down, dirty place. I am pleased to say that those reviews were inaccurate! The hotel was spotless clean, service at the front desk was excellent and most importantly my room was super clean. The decor in the hotel is very out of style/date, but as it is clearly stated in the front lobby and on other TA reviews, this hotel will be undergoing major renovations in 2013.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
HIManitowocDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Manitowoc, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay. As you make mention of, our overall upkeep is top-notch, and our staff is unfailingly professional and friendly. We hope to see you again, when you can take advantage of our upcoming renovation. Holiday Inn Manitowoc Management

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Manitowoc

Reviewed October 11, 2012

The bar has plenty of room and games to play. drinks and food are average. There is a large entry area, rooms overlook from private balconies. The rooms do need to be updated, i stayed in a larger room with a living room,bar and private bedroom. bed was nice, i cant wait to see the update. close to places to eat and plenty of parking

Room Tip: Request a room away from the ice machines, they are very loud. spend the extra cash to a large suit...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HIManitowocDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Manitowoc, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thanks for commenting on our upcoming renovation. The entire hotel including guest rooms, public areas and meeting space will be completely redone by early 2013. We look forward to welcoming you back and showing off a great “NEW” Holiday Inn Manitowoc in the near future!
Holiday Inn Manitowoc Management

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was with a medium sized group - The hotel had other groups that weekend and well as football fans for the Green Bay/Bears game. check in was smooth and friendly. I requested outside room ,I like that windows open for fresh air. air conditioner if needed is noisy (as with most hotels). Room was spacious &clean and choice of pillows (soft,firm etc). Microwave and small fridge. staff very friendly and helpful. Restaurant OK for Breakfast not very good for dinner. Perkins across road better for breakfast. Try to find somewhere else for dinner. Other Facilities: pool, jacuzzi, exercise room clean. A little problem at night with lights shining into room unless pull drapes shut and then that blocks the air- so get a room in back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
HIManitowocDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Manitowoc, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for the positive review. As you experienced, our staff is unfailingly friendly and professional, and we get top marks for our housekeeping. We look forward to seeing you back again! Holiday Inn Manitowoc Management

Reviewed September 17, 2012

After 12 hours on the road, I checked into the Holiday Inn Manitowoc on the evening of September 8th. The front desk clerk, Patty, couldn't have been more pleasant. She was friendly, efficient, and professional. Unfortunately, that was the end of my positive stay at this facility. When I entered the room, it was very warm and I I was met with a very noticeable stale smoke odor, even though it was clearly marked as a non-smoking room, and also a slight moldy undertone. I crossed the room to close the drapes for privacy since I was on the first floor and the window faced the parking lot...when I reached for the closure wand and started to draw them, I was enveloped in a cloud of dust. I then went to adjust the AC setting to cool the room and with hopes of airing out the smoky aroma. I left for dinner, came back an hour later and the room was still very warm. I adjusted it to a lower setting. I pulled the bed from the wall since there were no available outlets near the bed, and when I did so, I located the cause of the moldy smell..it was strong behind the bed and the carpet near the wall was somewhat damp. I woke in the middle of the night and the room was still uncomfortably warm...I adjusted it a bit lower. When I woke the next morning...it was still warm...I lowered it to the very lowest temperature setting...even at the lowest setting, I don't believe the room was ever cooler than 78 degrees. By that time I was highly annoyed at paying $160 for a room with so many issues, so I grabbed my laptop, accessed the Holiday Inn website and submitted my comments about the room to HI directly. Then I went to shower and prepare for the day. The mechanism that diverts water from the tub to the shower head was not working properly, so water was running full force from the spigot, with a less forceful spray from the shower head....I growled because I have very long, very thick, curly hair and it is difficult to wash and rinse with reduced water pressure, so that was a major annoyance. But not nearly as annoying as the fact that because the water was running full force from the spigot, it wasn't draining as quickly as if the pressure had been diverted directly to the shower head, so I was standing in ankle deep dirty water throughout my shower. DISGUSTING. I called the front desk and asked to speak with the manager...the lady on the line told me that she was the acting manager and ask what she could do for me. As I relayed my experiences to her, she would offer an occasional "uh huh" or "I understand", but she was obviously too distracted to give her attention to my comments. Finally she said, "I will give you $20 off of your total bill, just stop at the front desk on your way out" . I told her that I had paid $160 for a room that didn't offer the same level of cleanliness and quality as a cheap $60 a night motel, and that $20 did not seem fair compensation for all of the issues I encountered during my stay. I was told she wasn't empowered to offer more than that, but stated that she would pass my comments to the manager and stated that the manager would contact me that day with a possible resolution. It has been nine days since my stay at Holiday Inn Manitowoc, as of this date, I have still not received that promised call from the hotel manager...but I did finally receive a response from Holiday Inn customer service...in part it states, "I have forwarded your comments to the General Manager and ownership of this hotel. I know they share our vision of providing the best guest experience possible, and am confident they will take the necessary steps to continue to improve their services." Soooo...basically, they are forwarding my complaint to the hotel manager who was supposed to return my call nine days ago and still hasn't called, so I have serious doubts that I will ever be compensated for a most unpleasant stay at the Holiday Inn Manitowoc. Basically, a nasty room, poor management, ineffective customer service...and an allergy related sinus infection caused by sleeping in a smoky "non smoking" room ! NEVER AGAIN !

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Hello – your comments have been taken very seriously and we are reviewing the circumstances you have relayed. As our customer service department responded, we take every effort to provide the best product possible, and as you may have seen in our front lobby, the hotel will be undergoing a full renovation in the near future. Guest rooms will be brand new from top to bottom, as will all public areas. We appreciate your business and are glad that hotel staff was able to provide some compensation for your displeasure. Holiday Inn Manitowoc Management

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We had requested a non-smoking room for our August 16 - 19, 2012 stay. The room was anything but! When we opened the door, we were overwhelmed by the fumes of many years of being occupied by smokers. Unfortunately, all motel rooms in the area were booked because of the Open Air Classic, races at Elkhart, etc. When we complained to the front desk that the room had been a smoking room longer than a non-smoking room, the desk clerk just smiled! We were on the third floor and could and did open our windows. By check-out on Sunday, the room was almost livable (not the bedding), but it took several days for our sinuses to return to normal. On our last day, we noticed a room by the elevators had a different designation -- "smoke free". If you have a sensitivity to smoke, take note -- non-smoking does NOT mean smoke free at this Holiday Inn. AActually do not know if "smoke free" is actually smoke free either. You're on your own at this Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Constance F
HIManitowocDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Manitowoc, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Hello – as you may have seen in our front lobby, Holiday Inn Manitowoc is scheduled to undergo a property-wide renovation over the next 6 months and any vestiges of the days when every hotel in the state had smoking rooms will be completely eradicated. We look forward to welcoming you back when everything is fresh and new. Holiday Inn Manitowoc Management

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We were here with a large group (over 200), and the check-in, etc. was flawless. We had requested an 'outside' room and that they not use fragrant sprays in the cleaning process, and they obliged us. The towels, linens, etc. were very good. Everything was 'squeaky clean'. The room was roomy and comfortable, although queen sized beds would have been welcome...the a/c was quiet and efficient. Refrigerators and microwaves are available, but you have to ask for them on check-in (no extra charge). The shower was good, and the room had a new flat-screen tv. There was also an iron and ironing board in the room.

Our event had several functions there, and the food and service for those events was also very well done.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
HIManitowocDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Manitowoc, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

We appreciate your feedback and I’m glad we could meet your special requests. Thanks very much for your business! Holiday Inn Manitowoc Management

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I stayed here for one night while in town for business.
Pros: Staff very friendly, quiet. I was in a room on the first floor that the window faced the conference area-so I immediately closed the curtains. I didn't hear or see anyone out there at night. So it was quiet-although I could see it could get loud. Easy to find.

Cons: The room smelled moldy and like old cigarettes. The carpet was kindof sticky. I wore my flip flops whenever I walked around and I usually don't do that. The hotel seems/smells old.

It wasn't great but wasn't terrible. If I was in the area again, I would stay there. I didn't eat there the next morning. Across the street is a starbucks and I went there.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DavidandKim
HIManitowocDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Manitowoc, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Thank you for the review. As you may have seen in the hotel lobby, design boards for our upcoming renovation are on display, and we’ll soon be “brand new” from top to bottom. We look forward to welcoming you back again, and for future reference, there is a Starbucks coffee shop in our lobby. We appreciate your patronage. Holiday Inn Manitowoc Management.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manitowoc
Baymont Inn & Suites Manitowoc Lakefront
#1 of 4 in Two Rivers
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#6 of 6 in Manitowoc
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)

Been to Holiday Inn Manitowoc? Share your experiences!