“Good food, beautiful view plus a bit of history”

Little Bohemia Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Saint Germain, Wisconsin
“Good food, beautiful view plus a bit of history”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We have gone to Little Bohemia several times over the past few years. We have enjoyed each meal. I really like the platter of appetizers they give you along with cheese and crackers. We have tried an assortment of things from beef to chicken to fish. Might be a bit on the pricey side for some. On one occasion, we ate breakfast there. This might only be a seasonal offering so be sure to check before you go if you are looking for a breakfast spot. Good food in the morning too, not much unique though.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank EatRDTravel

Appleton, Wisconsin
“Dillinger knew a good thing”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was expecting mediocre food Ina spot trading on its notoriety but was pleasantly surprised to have the atmosphere and a terrific meal.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Mark C
“FELT LIKE DILLINGER WAS DINING WITH US”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

You could feel the excitement of the old gangster days as you sat at the bar. The food was TERRIFIC and the staff was very friendly. Prices were a little high but that was to be expected since the movie was "shot" there. We will return again.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank djaynes966
Madison, Wisconsin
“Not Bohemian at all.......”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My family has been going to Little Bohemia for years and I am so saddened and embarrassed as a Wisconsinite to see this become a tourist trap and a chinsy Vegas-like production. The staff are rude, owners are money hungry, you don't even see what you could see of Dillinger's stuff in the 70's-80's, as they have sold it and locked some of the buildings up. A lot of it is gone. The worst part is all the great old European meals that meant a lot to my family and culture are gone too. Won't go back for a VERY long time. By then the "Johnny Depp-thing" will hopefully be gone and no one will remember the movie. I love Johnny Depp but I think even he would be disgusted at the "sell out" atmosphere and ruining of real European history--oh yeah, and the ganster history that should be a side note.

• Visited September 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Asked to leave?!”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My family and I have been going to Little Bo every summer since I can remember. However, it seems like the Dillinger movie hype has changed the experience. We agreed that after our most recent visit, it will be quite some time before we return.

I called to make a reservation, as there were 6 of us. The person answering the phone put me on hold, and after 10 minutes (that is what my iPhone told me), I figured that they had forgotten about me. I kept calling back, but got a busy signal. When I eventually got a hold of someone, we made the reservation and confirmed the time very clearly.

We arrived for the time of the reservation several days later, and we were told by someone not overly friendly that we did not have a reservation. Someone in our party pointed out our reservation in their own book, which must have been overlooked. We were told that because this was overlooked, they did not have a table for us, but that they would get one together as soon as possible, which they did.

We ate dinner, during which the service and the food were good. In an attempt to eat healthily at a restaurant, I ordered the broiled pike and wild rice. The pike was delicious, but the wild rice came covered in what I think was butter. I would have preferred just simple rice on the plate.

After 1 hour and 10 minutes after we sat down, we were asked by the waitress to leave, as they needed the table for another group. I am assuming that A) the poor waitress was just the messenger and B) because they lost our reservation, they tried to squeeze us in before a reservation that they didn't lose. As it happened, we were pretty much done anyhow, but for a group of 6, 70 minutes is not really a long time. Also, at $25 a plate, we do not appreciate being asked to leave.

This is a place that locals used to eat at a lot, but after the Public Enemies movie, things have changed. I'm happy that such a landmark restaurant in the community is doing a brisk business, but it is now best left to visiting movie buffs. As a side note, my family, which was seated at the same table in the main room, had to shout to each other to be heard in conversation.

• Visited July 2013