“My home Away From Home”
Review of Rustic Roadhaus

Rustic Roadhaus
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pizza, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Bar scene
Description: see URL: also see www.manitowishwaters.org/dining/supper, the local chamber of commerce listing.
cincinnati, ohio
“My home Away From Home”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

When you're alone, 700 miles from home fishing a tournament as research for a book, the TV in the cabin isn't working, and you can't get a bar on your mobile phone, finding a place to "hang" in the evening becomes important. I ended up here and am glad I did.
Location: on the south side of Manitowish Waters, the east side of Hwy. 51 at the corner of Old 51 Rd next to a soon-to-be-reopened BP convenience store (see Googlemaps.com)
Facility: If you're looking at the picture below, under the peak on the left of the building is the dining room that has 10 or 12 tables and seats maybe 50 total. Under the peak on the right is a similarly sized room that has a pool table in the back with the ubiquitous video gaming machines hereabouts with a couple tables in the front. In the middle section is the bar along the back wall with some high tables along the front - which is where I did my best work. TVs all over give it the sports bar feel. If you wish, you can sit on the porch, sip your brew, and smoke - but not inside.
This is the only place that I know in the area that has Wi-Fi (although I would suspect the library probably does during the day) which I found to be quite useful during the evening.
Bar: full-service - beer's cold and the hospitality's warm.
Food: Ate here twice. Had a pizza, 12 inch, about $13 with topping - about average for bar pizza, crust a little dry and sauce more like spaghetti sauce but toppings fresh and overall was rather tastey.
Every eatery in the Northwoods has a fish fry on Friday. After an extensive review, I chose here because of the 1 pound Walleye dinner ( the tastiest fish that swims) for $12.99, and that was a gut-wrenching decision since she also has white fish for $10.99. What I got was 4 fillets of walleye, long and extremely thick, nicely dusted with cornmeal and perfectly cooked. With apple sauce and cole slaw, it was a delightful meal but there was a kicker - deep fried mashed potatoes. Although the waiter stated that they make these in house, I had my doubts because they were all perfectly shaped little pears of cornmeal - crunchy on the outside and soft mashed potatoes inside - real tastey, too.
Where I live this meal would have run $30-$40, if you could find someone who serves that volume of fish. Only complaint - sides are a little small but who cares when you have that much walleye to eat.
Service: This is a family business. Prior to the untimely death of her husband, the family had owned the BP next door but moved back to Ill. shortly after his death. Unsatisfied, they decided to return and ended up buying this place. I wish I felt as welcome everywhere as I did here. Even the clientele are friendly, generally agreeable (except where the Packers and Brewers are concerned) and after seeing me in the place several times pretty much accepted me into the fold which generated many memorable conversations. RR also appears to be the "happy hour" location for most of the local business people as well as many of those with summer homes - a very positive commentary on the place.

• Visited September 2011