“This place is a real gem”

North Lakeland Discovery Center
More attraction details
Owner description: The North Lakeland Discovery Center is your connection to the Northwoods of Wisconsin. Nestled on 63-acres within the NH-AL State Forest the Discovery Center offers countless opportunities to explore the Northwoods. With our twelve miles of hiking, biking, groomed skiing, and snowshoe trails you can wander through large pine and maple forests, see bogs and lakes and even get stunning views of the beautiful Manitowish River.We have a Nature Nook where your entire family can touch, feel and experience many of the amazing resources of the area. Other drop-in activities include kayaking, canoeing and fishing on pristine Statehouse Lake. And with naturalists on staff, our programs offer learning adventures for adults, family and children. Visit our website for more details!
Madison, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This place is a real gem”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We found the Center almost by accident in a visitor guide, and ended up enjoying the best day of our whole summer there! We visited on a weekday, and since there was no regular programming going on, we had the whole place practically to ourselves. We hiked all the trails and enjoyed a picnic lunch on the beautiful, well-kept grounds. I was delighted to learn that the watercraft we saw on the beach were available for use, so we then enjoyed the afternoon paddling around on the lake in a rowboat and kayaks--everything including PFDs provided by the Center on a freewill donation basis. The staff were lovely, and even offered us home-baked banana bread! I am very impressed and will become a regular supporter.

1 Thank DeanaH608

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Enjoy getting back to nature here!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

We drove up from our stay in Minocqua to see what it was all about. I was outside looking at the trail map, a little confused when an employee came over and asked if I had any questions. I'm not sure where she even came from as I was just looking at their board but she was most helpful. She recommended trails and where they started, told me where the bathrooms were and that they stayed open 24/7 and we could use the kayaks and canoes at the beach. We did use the bathrooms which were pristine and nice to know about with 2 kids age 4 and 7 before we went hiking. We took the interpretive trail which was absolutely wonderful. They have all these informational signs along the way to read, interact and learn more about nature. The views were beautiful. We went on the bog walk as well. We were too late in the day to go into the nature center so recommend going earlier to use that before close at 4:30pm. Looks like a beautiful well cared for facility. Looks like they offer cabins and had a beautiful outdoor amphitheater where I imagine people get married. Looks like it has more to offer. Next time we will go earlier and stay longer so we can spend more time here!

1 Thank Jennmmueller
Kansas City area
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Hidden Treasure in the North Woods”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

While staying at Dillman's Bay Resort at nearby Lac du Flambeau, my husband and I drove to the Discovery Center to check out the facilities for our multiaged group (children aged 8 through 14). What a pleasant surprise: pristine layout with well marked flora on several trails. We loved the bog walk and of course the well-placed signs explaining the culture of bogs. There are a wide variety of lengths of trails, all well groomed. There is a hands-on nature cabin, filled with books, objects to touch and observe, a young person's virtual zoology and botany lab, with naturalists helping children who had signed up for the various classes. Next year I am going to sign up my grandchildren for the paddle and snorkle class that includes an overnight. I recommend going online and checking out the various classes offerred and sign up a few days ahead. Next year in August I'm going to make sure our family takes full advantage of the facilities and classes this wonderful gem offers, much of it free of charge!

3 Thank ruthieroelandpark2
Midwest
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Don't miss it!”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Lovely walking trails, boardwalks winding through bogs and woodlands, access to boating and kayaks on site, nature programs, well groomed grounds, friendly staff. So glad we checked it out!

2 Thank omegam87
Nevada, Iowa
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great place for family”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This was a very nice place for a family to spend a day in Northern Wisconsin. They had very nice trails to hike on as well as boats and canoes available to use. The best part is that it did not cost anything for any of the activities.

Visited July 2012