“Glad We Tried It”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Years ago we went by this place and it was very expensive and we passed it by. Well, being a foodie and now retired, we thought it's about time we try it at least once while in vacationing in the area. We were so glad we did because not only were the prices now reasonable, the Cajun menu had some great choices.

First of all, included in your meal was an appetizer of fish pate along with a vegetable type salsa spread which was very delicious and a small hot loaf of bread accompanied it along with crackers. I had a cup of tomato basil soup, yum, and hubby had the seafood chowder, excellent! You also get salads which were cold and crisp. Their award-winning Jambalaya was by far the best my husband had and my blackened Mai Mai was very good. We split the pecan tart because I needed a sugar fix too! It was ok.

Our service was very good. You get a lot of food here and we enjoyed a slower pace in between each serving. The lake view from any table in the dinning room was beautiful. The bar room is extremely small but we like cozy areas and adjacent to the dinning room is a cocktail lounge area and they do have an outdoor patio to also enjoy your drinks This is an old place but very charming so give it a try, we're glad we did!

1  Thank panielsen

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have past this location for 30+ years and imagined it to be a ordinary bar with bar food. Much to my surprise the Blue Bayou turned out to be a delightful experience on a quiet night. A cozy bar, well-appointed dining room tables (except for too much bric-a-brac along the walls), and full Cajan menu. Service was attentive and the food unique for the region. This is not your typical Wisconsin Supper Club venue. Great for a special occasion and change of pace.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

VIsited the Blue Bayou for a friend's birthday. We enjoyed that you get to take your time and relax while they bring out your food - some people complain of slow service but it clearly states on the menu to expect this. Gator app was delicious but a very tiny portion for what you pay. We tried all of their soups and the cold strawberry-rhubard was a clear favorite, a must try! The entrees were a little disappointing as two of us had shrimp and they were very overcooked. We ordered 4 desserts to give them all a try and the bread pudding was great, followed by the crepes. Avoid the key lime pie as it was chalky and gritty. Not the greatest experience but we will be back to try again!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Every time I eat here, I marvel of how lucky we are to have this great eating place in Wisconsin's North Woods. Service is always great, food is exceptional, and there is always wonderful surprises. The duck and rice soup is the best soup I have ever had. The dining experience is European paced, but pontoon boats frequently arrive for a drink and a appetizer. Sunsets over Manitowish Lake add to the dining experience. This is a special place that stays special no matter how many times we enjoy it.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Blue Bayou was a wonderful experience. It was expensive, most of the meals were $25 each but that included soup, the choices were a cold strawberry-rhubarb or fish gumbo or tomato bisque, a seafood appetizer and a salad and bread. Because it was my birthday, they also surprised me with a slice of homemade cake with ice cream, a free dessert big enough for all three of us to eat our fill. It was very elegant but very hospitable. We needed reservations but I highly recommend it. Oh and I forgot that we got to sit overlooking the lake. The restaurant has giant windows overlooking a beautiful lake. One family came to supper on a small motor boat. But it was kind of tough for the children. Allow two hours for eating.