“Just fine for our purposes”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lyndon Station
River Bay Campground & Marina
Minnesota
“Just fine for our purposes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

We stayed in a standard cabin. The whole reason we stayed here was that we got a half price deal. That being said, it was a fantastic deal with the Chula Vista passes included!!! The cabin was nice, and really wonderful that there was a toilet in it. I am used to cabins where you have to go to the camping outhouses. They were clean and plenty of room. We didn't take advantage of the things the campground has to offer because we wanted to spend our time at Chula. One thing I would change is to have free unlimited wifi.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Spring Valley, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

Unfortunately, I do agree with many of the reviews here. The staff was friendly enough when we were there, but when I called to make my reservation it was over 4th of July weekend. At that time the staff seemed a bit unorganized.

The cabin was very nice and one of the best I have seen in the dells area, but it was an upgraded more expensive cabin from the standard one rooms I have previously stayed in. The staff did allow us to put a small tent next to the cabin at no additional charge. That was very cosiderate. My favorite part of the cabin was the front porch - which was really nice for sitting and relaxing. Although - I would upgrade to a screened porch, or put on bug spray sooner. I was eaten alive. There was also a smell from the dump station which was located fairly close to our cabin... it wasn't consistant enough to be a real problem.

The garbage dumpster was located next to the pool and it did smell. Since we were not there on a holiday weekend and incurred the same problem many others have had, I would suggest the campground do something to remedy this problem. The pool area/arcade was nice besides the smell.

The shower and bathrooms were ok. They were camground clean. I'm not sure why they decided 7am was a good cleaning time though.... I would suggest later morning or early afternoon. Many people are waking between 6-9 and need the shower and bathroom areas. The showers do cost a quarter for a little over 3 min. of water. I have stayed at other campgrounds where the showers were free, but understand this is a faily common practice.

As with all places you do have to purchase wood locally. Unfortunately the wood I purchased at the campground was $5.00 for a smaller bundle, but the wood was wet and didn't burn well.

The golf carts were a constant irritaiton. They come through often and they drive fast..

This campground is also about 10-15 min from the popular Dells attractions like Noah's Ark. Nice for relaxing, but difficult if you have people in your party that want to be in the action.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank jittabug138
East Troy, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We were at River Bay for 6 days in July. We absoulty loved it and will go back again next year! They were friendly from the moment we arrived, showed us to our camp site and showed us around on their golf cart. We also had our 25 ft boat with us and they put us in a perfect spot seeing you need to have your boat on your site as there is no boat parking. We rented a boat slip as well....the first one they gave us would not work for our size boat, they quickly called and they put us in a different one. We ate at the restrauant for their Friday fish fry and it was very good. The showers/bathrooms were clean. You do need to put in .25 cents for every 3 min. but that was ok....water temp in the showers were hit or miss in the womens, now my son said their showers were hot. We were their over that very hot spell...they kept the pool open for all of us to try and cool off in...at 11 PM it was still in the 90's! Very nice playground too. I only had two complaints...one on Fridays they have karokee and there was a very loud group you could hear and then they walked through the camp ground at like 3 in the morning still yelling and screaming...the other would be the price of the bikes they have for the kids to rent....5.00 for 1/2 hour that seemed a little high...but the kids enjoyed it! We also had Mr. and Mrs. raccoon that like to visit our site at 4:30 for three of the mornings....so don't leave anything out. My daughter had put a box of doughnuts from the morning into a Wal-Mart bag and left it on the picnic table inside the screen house.....they took the bag and dragged it out into the woods....in the morning we went to go and look and they ate the rest of the doughnuts. I can't wait to go again!

Besides it being very HOT! during our stay we had a GREAT time!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Desertedminds12
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

We have stayed at several campgrounds in or near the Dells, that were much better than this. Unfortunately we planned our vacation over the 4th of July and waited until June to book - when our favorite campgrounds were already full.

Horrible Customer Service.
From the moment we arrived, it was clear they were unorganized and unprepared. The ladies running the office weren't very helpful, and the owner was rude. We paid for a tent site with electric and water and they were happy to charge my credit card right away, but no site was ever reserved for us. Instead the owner drove us around on her golf cart to look at available sites. She tried to offer us a primitive site with no electric and water, and also tried to offer us a site within the RV only area. Unhappy with these options, she told us to get off the golf cart and wait while she took care of other people behind us. Forty minutes after checking in, she finally was able to find a site for us.

Restrooms and Showers.
Bring quarters because it costs you 25 cents for four minutes of water! The bathrooms weren't terribly clean, and have very poor air circulation. Also, the small number of restrooms and showers is grossly out of proportion to the size of the campground.

Garbage and Smell.
The dumpsters are right next to the pool and smell BAD! We camped over the 4th of July weekend, and there was so much garbage it was piled waist high all around the dumpsters, and baking in the sun. Management should have planned ahead in anticipation of the holiday weekend and excess garbage.

The River.
It leaves a lot to be desired. The view is not all that great, and don't count on fishing from the shore because there is nowhere to fish from. The boat launch is convenient if you plan to take a boat out for the day but that is about it.

Noise.
Quiet hours are from 11 pm-7 am, but there is a bar with live music smack in the middle of the campground, so don't count on any peace and quiet.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank HonestAbeChicago

Travelers are raving about these Lyndon Station hotels

Northlake, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

I have tried other campgrounds and seem to enjoy river bay better than all the surrounding campgrounds..The owners seem to give a 100 %.!! We are seasonals and they respond to all of our needs. They are always improving the place and have great maintenance workers .Great get away!!! The princess kay is also a plus!! They also make it a fun place by having karaoke on weekends...

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

They also took our credit card to hold a site, But when we went to pay for our site the owner Rhonda points at the ATM and says we only hold the site with the Credit Card and we only accept cash for non seasonal sites. Sounds like something not right to me or even illegal, Bait and switch when we got there. Garbage dumpsters within 50 feet of pool, Golf carts racing though the park dusting us down every 5 minutes and the water gave my whole family the runs,

Room Tip: I would avoid this campground.