“Amazing”
Review of The Ara Project

The Ara Project
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: In remote, jungle covered hills on the Pacific coast, The Ara Project, a conservation NGO dedicated to the survival of Costa Rica's two macaw species is working to breed and release young birds into areas where they once flew free. Guests can book tours at our Punta Islita centre where they have the opportunity to view released Scarlet macaws in the wild. They will hear about the work The Ara Project does and why it is so important. Tours run for an hour and aim to inform guests of the project's work, the plight of these birds in the wild and what we can all do to help them.
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I had a wonderful time working at the project...the project coordinator, Chris, is a wonderful guy. I spent a month here and ended up donating lots of money to the birds. Each day I got to see great green macaws and red macaws up close, cleaning the aviaries and feeding them. I learnt so much in my short stay I will definitely be coming back next year to volunteer again. The home stay was also great and felt like I was one of the family, and gained a second mother! He he. If you are backpacking around and like feeling useful I definitely recommend coming here!

2  Thank shamantiger
There are newer reviews for The Ara Project

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was a wonderful place to visit. It was one of our first stops in Costa Rica and one we definitely enjoyed. The birds are beautiful and it's wonderful work they are doing to breed and release them back into the wild. One tip, wear long pants, when we were visiting, there were a lot of small biting insects.

2  Thank Julie B
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My boys loved this excursion......they had 14 resucue dogs that greeted us upon arrival.....which my boys thought was excellent....the macaws are amazing and so interesting......Chris was a great guide and obviously loves the birds.....we are wishing them the best of luck with their move to the coast......Alajeula is losing a little hidden gem.....my boys favorite activity our trip!!!!! Thanks

1  Thank Lisa F
Reviewed March 11, 2013

A very special project devoted to returning Macaws to the wild. Chris gave us a wonderful, personable tour as he went about the chores of tending to these beautiful birds. Since seeing this, my children have pledged to make the world a better place.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We visited the ARA project to support a good cause, and glad we did. The center needs every help they can get, they are doing a really good job with little resources, manned by volunteers.
Chris who toured us around the center was wonderful explaining about the macaws while he multi task caring/ feeding them. We can tell they really care about them, and credit them for keeping these beautiful, amazing birds from getting extinct.

1  Thank lucyza