“Quality food in lovely place”
Review of The Horseshoes

The Horseshoes
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A Country pub set in the beautiful village of East Farleigh. Offering a relaxed dining experience with fresh pub food. Ales, beers, and cocktails all available, along with a wide selection of soft drinks. Outside dining in the summer months, real open fires in the winter. All welcome; including dogs.
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I've been here 4 times in the past year including today and I've never been disappointed.... Hence my surprise at the poor reviews below and compulsion to share my positive experiences.

I've always been for a Sunday lunch or evening meal during week and weekends. It's always been busy and I've made sure I book when there is a group of us. Today was a very early evening meal at 5pm next to one of the 2 open fires that were kept stoked by the attentive waitress. The welsh lamb was cooked to perfection and the lamb burger was just as good, as reported by my better half.

The food is modern/classic British with no unusual rare ingredients such as game and offal so this is a good place to go to please the whole family. It's all cooked very well and presented in a modern way with a good selection of drinks; lager and ale on draft. Most of the pub is devoted to dining table and chairs but there are also sections with comfy sofas and also a snug with an open fire to retire to for a drink after a good meal.

You can find cheaper places to eat, but they won't be of the same quality with such lovely interior surroundings.

James M, Manager at The Horseshoes, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Thanks for your feedback

Thanks for coming back to see us over the past year and look forward to seeing you again soon

James and the Team

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Having arrived with a friend for a light lunch we were given a set dinner menu along with their usual menu. There were no sandwiches on offer until we asked and were told of four choices, fish finger sandwich, pulled beef in Ciabatta (or pork depending on which waitress speaks to you), Welsh Rarebit or sticky chicken wrap. I chose the sticky chicken wrap. I should have gone home and made a sandwich myself. I got a few chunks of chicken that had been dunked in a bottled sweet chilli sauce with bits of tasteless lettuce in a chewy dry wrap. It was absolute rubbish. When asked if everything was okay I told the waitress"no" and she kindly didn't charge me for it. However, why do they serve such foul food, where was the chef? I won't be returning there.

James M, Manager at The Horseshoes, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Thanks for your feedback

My apologies for your recent experience with us at The Horseshoes

If you would like to discuss the issues further please feel free to contact myself at the pub at your convenience

Thanks

Reviewed January 18, 2014

9 of us went for a Birthday meal, food nicely presented, tasted good, staff very good, polite, attentive, despite it being busy. no complaints at all.

1  Thank andyinkent

Thanks for your feedback

Great to hear you had a wonderful time with us and look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Another good value meal in nice surroundings but feel compelled to recount a disappointing end to the evening.
When the bill came it included £14.20 for 2 glasses of wine! ( supposedly large ) We exprssed our surprise and only asked where this price was advertised on the menu ( it wasn't ).
When the manager appeared, instead of a simple apology he came out with a ridiculous claim that they weren't allowed by law to advertise the cost of a large glass of wine!
May return but not for a while - -shame

1  Thank Frank W
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Myself and my family spent Christmas Day at the Horseshoes. It was our first time out for Christmas dinner and we were a little anxious to how it would be. No need for fear - it was excellent. Fast service but not rushed. Food excellent quality. Wines offered at a pre order discounted price which was great for us ordering 10 bottles! We also had a member of our party withdraw from the meal through unforeseen circumstances and the Manager kindly gave us a voucher to use in the New Year. Very much appreciated. We have re-booked for Valentines Day so looking forward to another quality meal there. Although we have already been back for a few beers in the meantime Thank you!!

1  Thank Denise L