“Little kids enjoyed”

Lumberjack Steam Train
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Laona
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Ride the Lumberjack Steam train to Camp 5 Museum Complex. The 15 minute ride takes you over bridges through the woods to the original Logging Camp. There you can explore the Museum of Logging history, the petting corral, nature center, slaughter house, nature trail, original Cracker Barrel Store, the Green Treasurer Forest Tour takes you through the woods. Enjoy a nice lunch at the Choo-Choo hut. Then ride the train back to the depot at the end of the day. Trains depart to camp 5 at 11, 12, 1 and 2pm. The returns run every hour until 4pm.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I along with our 3 kids ages 5, 3, & 1 spent the afternoon going on this train ride and spending 2 hours at camp 5. The kids loved the steam train ride but it is very short. The petting zoo was a hit with all 3. They loved the little kittens and bunnies. They liked the forest ride and we liked the education. We also enjoyed the blacksmith shop. Expensive but the kids enjoyed. Not sure if we would go back.

1  Thank b3schmidt

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I am a train enthusiast so I figured we would check this out on a rainy day. First of all the train itself is a refurbished vintage steam train and train cars which are beautiful. I enjoyed riding in the train cars especially on the way back we rode in the upper level of the one which was cool but does require some climbing. I also enjoyed the lumberjack museum at camp 5, it was very informative! The 2 negative things I have to say are that the cost of the ride is a bit on the pricey side($21) and the train ride itself was only a mile long so it was way too short for the amount they charge!

1  Thank Coleman D
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The "Lumberjack Steam Train" operates short (1 mile each way) trips from Laona into the woods and return. The train is powered by a coal-fired steam locomotive, and includes open-window cars and cabooses in which passengers may ride.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

My 2 grandsons (age 6 and 15) and I took the steam train to the camp 5 and it was a good time. We also took the forest tour which is included in the ticket price which told us about current foresting techniques. It was good learning time for the boys because we live in the city. There is a petting zoo, a working blacksmith shop, an old fashioned candy store where I was able to get burnt peanuts which I just love. They also have a food stand which is a little pricy but every thing was about $4. The food was good. This place is a must see for kids.

1  Thank Jacky F
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had a great time on the train ride. The kids loved the petting zoo and the wagon ride through the forest. The museum and blacksmith shop was less interesting for the kids, but the adults enjoyed it. We also saw the lumberjack show. It was a great way to spend an afternoon!

2  Thank KristaMichaelis