“Dinner was a disappointment”
Review of Bent's Camp

Bent's Camp
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
“Dinner was a disappointment”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I am not commenting on Bent's Camp as a place to lodge as it has spectacular views and charming old cabins-REALLY OLD-that are something to see.
My complaints are the dinners we had when we dined last Thursday on vacation. I ordered the 14 oz ribeye for $22. A little pricey but I figured it was aged for that price. OMG, no it wasn't. It was substandard even to a grocery store cut of ribeye. First it was at MOST 10 oz. No way was it 14 oz. Second, it was loaded with tough gristle and flavorless fat (fat on ribeyes can be as delicious as butter) and the edges hadn't been trimmed of the tough thick membrane surrounding the roast. Just disgusting. I was pissed. I had 5 or 6 oz of substandard beef for $22. Come on people. People who order steak know steak. It was insulting. Did you think I didn't know that wasn't 14oz? And could you serve untrimmed unaged meat for that price? Are we paying just to enjoy the views? No thanks.
Then my husband got their "famous" potato crusted walleye fillets for $23. They were good size but they were very fishy and watery as though they'd been frozen and oozed their fishy watery-ness into the supposed-to-be-crispy mashed potato coating. Yuk!
Salad bar was very small. Nothing special. Rolls were dried up and had to be several days old. You can't serve the table hot bread at that price? Might go for drinks sometime but dinner just made me angry after I got the bill. Yukky food for outrageous prices. And the service was also so-so.

• Visited October 2013

Naperville
“Wonderful Lake View!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Our party of nine visited Bent's Camp one evening during our week long stay in the northwoods this past summer. We always stay on Lac Vieux Desert at Sunrise Lodge but decided to go out for pizza/beer to change things up a bit. Friends who regularly stay at Bents suggested we give it a try and we're so glad they did. It was a bit of a drive from Sunrise but worth it. We were greeted promptly upon arrival. We asked for a table with lake views and although we were told it might be a bit of a wait, we decided to pass the time in the bar area with some good craft beer. They had plenty of offerings both on tap and bottled. There was fresh popcorn being popped to go along with the beer and beautiful lake views to enjoy as we waited. We were soon escorted to our rustic dining tables in the adjacent room, again with terrific lake views! Everyone quickly decided upon their favorite pizza and orders were placed. The service was quick and friendly, the homemade pizza was delicious! No one left disappointed! I would definitely recommend Bents Camp to anyone looking for a great casual Northwoods dining experience. You'll love it!

• Visited July 2013
“South Shore of Cisco Chain”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Bent's Camp has made an amazing comeback from an almost dormant state 20+ years ago. I enjoy coming to the restaurant for 3 reasons: 1- I am committed to supporting local businesses in the Watersmeet/Land O'Lakes area; 2 - Bents has enough to offer my primarily urban tastes in a location that is the opposite of urban; 3 - I have seen Bents evolve since I was a young vacationer learning to fish, ski, and snowmobile during my vacation time. It feels like part of my personal history. I think the bar is Bent's best feature, since it offers a reasonable variety of beer on tap and they make a great martini (two of my recreational priorities when not on the water or the trail)! The food is just ok, in my opinion, and the wait can be very long on fish fry night, but who is in a hurry when arriving by boat and docking to enjoy a leisurely meal with friends or family?

• Visited August 2013
Minocqua, Wisconsin
“Wonderful Lake Views in Old-Time Lodge”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The log and birch bark old lodge houses the restaurant. This setting, complete with lake views, makes for the perfect family "up north" experience.

Our family of seven (two children, one teenager and four adults) had a wonderful time. The service is friendly and prompt. We tried the perch, walleye, and coconut shrimp. All meals came with a salad bar that had just basics, spreadable cheese, crackers and rolls. The shrimp was very good. The perch seemed like it was deep fried for too long: A bit dried out. However, the presentation in an old-time metal skillet was fun. The group voted the walleye the best dinner. We tried potato crusted, pan fried and deep fried. Our favorite was the deep fried walleye because it provided the best flavor overall. All preparations of the walleye were moist and delicious. We tried their soups, all good. Our side of fries, mashed potatoes, dressing, and baked sweet potato were all good too.

We visited last summer and will visit again in the future. We really enjoy the setting and the lake view.

• Visited August 2013
Mt. Dora, FL
“Two Visits - Same Impression!!!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The second time we made it to Bent's Camp was by boat on one of the only "pretty" days we had (rainy most of the time) - and, of course, the trip was well-worth it. Stopped in for a drinky-poo. THESE PEOPLE ARE FRIENDLY!!!!! The first visit was more elaborate (it was our turn to buy dinner for the ENTIRE FAMILY!) and we were very, very pleased! Service was great for our big group - food and drinks were hot and cold, respectively! Babies were accomodated, toddlers were tolerated, cheeze curd "towers" were appropriately demolished! Oye, the fish! Couples can romance on the lake-side with a magnificent view. GO, GO, GO!!!!!

• Visited July 2013