“Waubee Lake Lodge - Wonderful at $”
Review of Waubee Lake Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lakewood
Waubee Lake Lodge
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Waubee Lake Lodge - Wonderful at $”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at Waubee Lake Lodge and found the room and whole experience to be great. The room was huge had nice amenities and was very reasonably priced. The lodge has nine rooms all with either small balconies or patior overlooking the lake and 8 more rooms that face the parking lot. Get a room facing the lake as they are no more expensive than the other rooms. Rooms have a variety of layouts. Many have separate bedrooms and full kitchens. They have paddle boats and row boats for use with no fee.

Only problem is that our balcony was only a few feet from the dining room's balcony. (this affects any room number ending in a one.) Some type of partition running the height of the lodge would help. We are already planning a return trip.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 02 or 03 have lake views and are away from restaurant deck.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BadgerTripper

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lakewood
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Five of us ate there last night. We were told an hour wait walking in the door, which I appreciate. That was the best part of the experience. What I did not realize, was that we were going to be seated at a pub table in the bar area after that hour wait. Then it went down hill. Awful waitstaff, although they had plenty of employees wandering around. Did not try the soup, but it looked like slop. Actually, one was empty, the chicken chowder looked like slop. I ordered the 20 oz. rib eye. It arrived at my table cold, full of gristle and about ten ounces in size. There were about six bites in the 20 oz. steak. I ordered it MR. It came out well. I would have told the waitress, but she never came to the table until she delivered my glass of wine--ordered when we ordered the meal--after I completed the mini-steak. What a waste of $22! My wife had the chicken oscar. Tiny chicken fillet. Covered with garlic. The asparagus looked like green beans. Hard to tell if it was asparagus because all it tasted like was garlic. Oh, there was no crab meat with the Oscar. Another member of our party never received his potato. She blamed the kitchen when she delivered the check. Finally, another member ordered the 1/2 rack of ribs. It would have been a good value at $8.95--unfortunately, he was gouged for a lot more than that. We won't be back. Next time we will go to some bar and grill and dine in the bar area--with better food--and a much greater value.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Shusss
Jackson, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 15, 2011

After an hour wait for a table, we waited another 15 minutes before we saw a waitress. Got our soup but had to go to the bar to get our own drinks, since waitress never brought them. We asked to be moved inside, since the bugs were getting bad, but the hostess said there weren't any tables inside, yet there were three empty tables. Our waitress did move us inside and the hostess came over in a "huff" and asked where we came from and did our waitress know we moved. We waited another 40 minutes (a total of an hour and 10 minutes since we were seated) and went to the hostess to tell her we were upset about waiting so long and we were leaving. She said we would have to pay for our soup and salad, after not even receiving the salad. We asked to see the manager. The manager came out and we again said we were leaving and didn't think we should have to pay for such lousy service. As in the above review, he also tried to tell us we put in our order only 40 minutes before and it wasn't that long of a wait. We tried to tell him differently, but he wouldn't listen, He grabbed the phone and called the POLICE! We paid the $33 bill and he actually told us he would appreciate it if we never came back to the restaurant! Don't worry - We won't ever be back......

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank slarson24
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Waubee Lodge is a place that looks impressive in pictures and from the parking lot, but the management inside leaves much to desire.
The wait to check in was about 15 min. The staff member checking me in was quite nice and apologetic.
We went through six keys that didn't work.
Four hours into no electrical power in the rooms, I inquired about the situation by calling the front desk. 30 rings on two different attempts later, a busy bartender answered telling me he had no idea what was going on I then went down to the front desk. This was about 7 pm, and I needed to make the decision whether or not my family and I would take a 3 hour trip home, or stay for the night. I waited approximately 25 minutes, chatting with restaurant guests who had been waiting prior to my arrival. When front desk employee arrived she, too, was quite apologetic and accommodating. She looked into the situation, inquired with the owners, and came back to tell me the owners were too busy to deal with this right now. (It’s worth noting that as I waited at the front desk, someone’s full credit card #, CSV#, and expiration date were hand written on a sheet of paper, on the check-in counter.)
After midnight, I went to inquire about what was available for the lack of lighting. I was told there were no flashlights, but I there should be plenty of candles and matches from the wedding party we attended and that I should get them from the bride. The owner said there were extension cords available, but when we went to get one, we were told that the 50’ cord was all they had, and that was after taking about 20 minutes to find it. This cord was to be used in a hall outlet and was supposed to help provide lighting to a 2-level loft suite. Needless to say, we had to set up our charged computer near the steps for safe lighting, and we lost an iPod as it was used for lighting in the bathroom and dropped by a young child.
I suggested that next time, they may want to notify those of us in the lodge of a situation like this, and provide a source of lighting for the rooms.
Upon check out, there was an insistence of taking my cell phone number (they already had my home phone and email address) and a promise to call the next day. That was two weeks ago and I have not received any correspondence. The bride and groom were told everyone was called and given a discount.
Not once did I ask for a discount or a refund, but only information about the situation and equipment to make the stay in a room with no electricity possible.
I have never been lied to by hospitality staff before. I’ve never been made to feel as though I was inconveniencing a hotel owner/manager. I paid ~$130 to stay at Waubee Lodge.
It is clear to me that the current owners of Waubee Lodge do not value repeat business. They can, however, hire people who seem to work very hard, doing what they can for their employer.
This place is poorly managed and the owners/managers are quite dishonest.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank likestotravel60859
Whitewater, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 15, 2010

My wife and I needed a last minute place to stay. We drove past the Waubee lodge and gave it a shot. The front desk is a bit disorganized and there was a lot of confusion with getting our keys, giving payment, and even the availability was hard to determine. But, the staff (the owners) were very nice so we looked past it.

For the price, the room was great. We stayed in one of ther 'condos' overlooking the lake. Nice kitchen, fireplace, seperate bedroom, bathroom, and flat screen in each room (but one of them didn't work). The room was clean. Seating on the balcony was nice and the lake views are great. Our room was about $90.

I suggest staying there, but come with basic expectations. You'll get a clean room at a great price, but don't expect 5-star big city service. Let the lake do the entertaining and you'll have a nice experience. We will return next summer.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank uww326
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Made reservations for our anniversary and asked for a window table. When we got there, they couldn't find the reservation. After 30 minutes at the bar, they still didn't have a table for us. We ordered our food at the bar and they finally found a table for us ( not by the windows). We ordered their 12 oz. rib eyes and asked for medium ( pink center according to waitress). After another 30 minutes the food came and the steaks were blood rare and full of fat. The waitress said that is normal as some steaks cook faster than others. (Yea, right. If the cook can't tell what medium is, they should not be cooking).
I will never go there again. Bad food, high prices.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bowhunter543
Midwest, USA
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We stayed at the Waubee Lodge while visiting friends who own a small cabin on a nearby lake. The Lodge boasts 18 rooms, all of which have north woods decor such as log furniture, moose and pine cone-themed accents and lamps. The property is lovely, and sits on the edge of a clear lake about five miles outside of Lakewood, Wisconsin. Our room was very clean and very spacious, with a lovely view of the lake. The room included a full kitchen, two flat panel tvs, a large living room with comfortable sectional sofa, bedroom area, and a small bathroom.

Unfortunately, our stay coincided with a large wedding hosted at the resort. Our room, Lake Level 101, literally shared a wall with the reception hall. As a result, we did not get to sleep until nearly 1:00 a.m. as we could hear "Brick House" and many other wedding favorites through the door and through the wall. To make matters more interesting, the wedding guests spilled onto our little patio, and commandeered our patio furniture, leaving a mess in their wake. We were forced to close the blinds and turn off our lights, rather than enjoy the beautiful moon over the lake on a clear night.

The Waubee Lodge is an excellent place for couples or families to enjoy northern Wisconsin. The food in the restaurant was very good, and the service was fine. I strongly encourage guests to avoid the Lake Level rooms, though, when events are scheduled in the reception hall on the same floor. Instead, request a room on the second or third floor!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PlaidTraveler

Been to Waubee Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!