“Nothing to write home about”

Carp's Landing Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Featuring in-house smoked brisket and ribs, pastas, salads and sandwiches. Daily specials. Sunday Brunch. all items homemade, specializing in sauces and seasonings with a southwest twist. Sports bar with Karaoke and live music on weekends.
Reviewed September 7, 2013

While recently staying in Lake Mills, Wisconsin to attend a family wedding, my husband and I decided to eat at Carp's Landing on a Friday night. We had a rough trip of 11 hours that day and just wanted to sit and relax and have a good meal.

Well, we didn't. This is a VERY small, sleepy little town, so their idea of good food may be a bit different from those of us who have done a bit of travelling and like to enjoy fresh food served well in a nice atmosphere. This is a typical dark, bar kind of atmosphere, definitely not somewhere I would take the family. We were seated in the bar because they said there was no room in the dining room, although they didn't appear to be that busy at 8:30 pm.

We ordered ribs and cod. The ribs were tough, with a homemade sauce that wasn't good. My husband did like the cod. The salad bar is definitely simple, as another reviewer noted, but is was just plain small, with practically no offereings, and it wasn't all that clean, nor were the lettuces chilled as they should be. Their bread offering consisted of a loaf of marble rye bread, still in the bread wrapper, opened and laying beside the salad bar...wow.

We were only visiting because of the wedding, so we would never have an occasion to go back there, but I wouldn't even suggest it if you were staying there. Drive a little ways and get a good meal somewhere else.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Good Service. Seated quickly. The menu offers a lot of variety. We had the ribeye and battered cod. Both were very goodl

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Had a great Friday night fish fry. Included a great(and simple) salad bar. Portions not as big as we are used to but plenty to fill us up! Great bar to hang out in as well

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Enjoyed another unique dining experience at Carps with my folks from Arizona last night. WOW is all I can say! Once the owner realized that this would be the final visit in 2013 he went all out to provide some unique "specials" to enjoy on their comfortable and informal patio! Let's just say that the variety and presentation of each course was a sight to behold (drat, I forgot to document with a photo)! But, my folks will never forget the extra effort to provide another wonderful family experience for us all... Thank you Carp and Kath!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The man who calls himself "carp" is extremely rude and always messed up. When I asked for a menu with 30 minutes until the kitchen closed he said, "This isn't illinois, hurry up and order". I left since the last 2 times I've tried the food the chicken tasted like plastic and the employees seem drunk. I disregarded the local talk to check it out for myself, but its not worth your time!!! Lake Mills has much more to offer. Hope this helps ;)