“Great, great, great. Did I mention it was great?”
Review of SevenOaks

SevenOaks
Ranked #1 of 11 Lake Geneva B&B and Inns
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great, great, great. Did I mention it was great?”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My recent trip to Lake Geneva was in the spring of 2013. April to be exact. Let me start off by saying the weather was terrible. Horrible. The resort owners were dealing with emergency flooding issues, but I would have never known because Leon went so far above and beyond anything I would have expected and made sure our stay was amazing and comfortable. With what they were going through they still made the time to ensure that we had anything and everything we needed. They were both non intrusive as well as available and accessible whenever they were needed. Now, the rooms themselves were not flooded at all, so don't worry about that. They were in fact lovely and well appointed, and actually exceeded my expectations in every way. Much nicer and roomier than many 4-5 star hotels I've stayed at. The bathroom was amazing. Top notch. Double sinks, heated tile floors, heated towel rack, multi-head shower, whirlpool tub big enough for two, and my favorite, the heated toilet seat. It was pleasantly awesome to sit on an already warm seat. Also great terry cloth robes. The furniture was all beautiful and most importantly comfortable. Real hardwood floors. A porch. And the room we stayed in had a beautiful foyer/sunroom as well. Can't say enough good things about the room or hosts. We stayed in the Windsor room. I highly, highly recommend. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Go for the Windsor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I'm from the area and SevenOaks is the only place to stay. My husband and I went for a romantic getaway after just being married. The rooms are perfectly clean, it's quiet, and the staff are absolutely wonderful. It's the feel of having a private cottage and very romantic. Having breakfast brought to us in the morning was a wonderful touch. While in Lake Geneva we did some shopping, dining and sight seeing of course but we spent a great deal of time in the room because we loved it so much! The fireplace, the beautiful shower and tub, and the couch was so cozy! I have to say we also loved that there are no children allowed. A definite added perk for couples looking for a romantic getaway or someone looking for a quiet getaway while in town on business. When we were there the people who ran the Inn had to deal with some flooding issues. We saw them outside and they took the time to ask if we needed anything. We asked for coffee to brought to us when they got a chance, no rush. We came back to the room after dinner and I found a message on my phone asking if we wanted breakfast and if the coffee was brought to us. I called back after office hours just to be sure they didn't have to be bothered with making us breakfast so I wanted to leave a message. I mentioned that no, the coffee had not been brought over but not to worry, it wasn't a big deal at all. These wonderful people felt so terrible, even though they shouldn't have dealing with all the flooding issues, they drove over to bring coffee and threw in a nice bottle of chilled wine for us. It was completely unnecessary but very much appreciated. The hospitality at this Inn is the absolute best and it truly is the only place I will stay when I return to Lake Geneva.

Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Oh my goodness. Where do I begin! Simply put, this place is excellent! We visited for a weekend taking advantage of a spring promotion that gave us half off of our second night. While we had read everything on the website prior to our reservation, I didn't really know what to expect. Wow was I blown away!

For starters, SevenOaks is tucked away in its own little quiet area. If you're not paying attention, you will pass it when driving. However, because we had read the website, we were prepared and knew that it would be located between the DQ and miniature golf. Once onto the property, you quickly notice the individual named suites (named after places in England) on either side. The reception area is directly at the end of the road. We checked in and were given the key to the Cambridge. It was absolutely beautiful inside! There's a cozy little living area with a fireplace and small dining area. The small kitchenette was stocked with plenty of coffee, tea, and hot coco. They even provide cheeses and wine (in the fridge) to enjoy by the fireplace. The bed was soooooo comfortable with quality linens that smelled so good. The bathroom...simply awe inspiring and I think it was my favorite room in the suite! There's the fabulous whirlpool tub, the spacious shower (perfect for two), and bathrobes for two. But the best part was the heated floors and the heated towel racks. I get cold very quickly and having warm floors and towels made me feel like I was in heaven. Then there was the daily continental breakfast which was fantastic and perfect for us.

SevenOaks is perfectly located near the downtown area and on a warm, sunny day it would be awesome to take a walk downtown (about a 5min drive) for shopping and lunch. It was in the 40's and rainy when we visited so walking wasn't of interest to us.

This place was perfect. The owners thought of everything. I really appreciate the attention to detail and how they've invested in the property. I think it deserves much higher than a "5-star" rating. The furnishings are modern, food was great, service was excellent....I can't wait to visit again!

1 Thank RGM2
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night last summer, just for a little time away from the kids and to relax. We really didn't want to leave!

The staff was very helpful. We spent some time chatting with Amanda and Leon and found them to be very warm and hospitable.

The innkeepers thought of everything. They even provide an alarm clock with ipod dock/ noise maker - we fell asleep to the sound of ocean waves crashing! The bed was comfy, the linens were much nicer than what we have at home, the bathrobes were soft and fluffy....there was a variety of teas (not a surprise with the innkeepers being from the UK!,) flat screen tv, fireplace, heated bathroom floor! There were bottles of water and soda in the mini fridge, along with a lovely fruit and cheese tray, waiting when we arrived. (We could have chosen a bottle of wine if we had preferred.)

We selected some DVDs from the collection in the office and had such a laugh (Bridesmaids, Super Bad) watching them. We usually have to watch that kind of thing very late and on low volume at home so the kiddos don't hear.

The property is off the beaten path and very quiet. There is also a little garden area in which to relax and we loved that our cottage had a little porch out front. Lovely.

In summary, the cottage was modern, clean and comfortable. I hope to go back again this summer and would recommend to every couple looking to be pampered and have a little alone time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
milwaukee
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I live nearby and have been in Lake Geneva hundreds of times, but I had never stayed at Seven Oakes. My husband planned a surprise weekend getaway here. Gorgeous! New, large suites, modern decor, heated floors and towel racks, comfortable robes, wine and cheese, breakfast delivered in the morning, fireplace, comfortable bed and peace and quiet. I highly recommend this for a romantic weekend!

• Stayed April 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was a difficult B&B to review because it isn't really a B&B although it is classified as one and they do serve a small cold breakfast. In fairness to B&B's that serve a large, hot, breakfast to all the guests in a breakfast room it would not be right to give this property a 5 star rating when their breakfast is not nearly as nice. The Seven Oaks website explains the reason for the cold breakfast. The breakfast itself was OK. There is yogurt, cereal and milk, Tropicana orange juice, some cut up fruit, a sweet roll, muffin and 2 croissants. The sweet roll was very good, the croissants were dry, and did not have that rich, buttery soft taste. The crust was so dry that eating it created a shower of crumbs.

OK, that is the last negative thing I have to say about Seven Oaks. I decided to rate it based on what it is and not what it isn't (a real B&B). The room is actually a suite - something one does not see very often in a traditional B&B which is often in an historic old home. The suite is modern and filled with luxuries. The very large bathroom has a heated toilet seat (not all suites do) which was nice but not a super attraction. However there is also a heated tile floor in the bathroom which did not sound that great in the literature, but it was FANTASTIC. I recommend this place on that alone! There are also two sinks, a large Jacuzzi bathtub and a large shower which could hold 4 people (I am not hinting at anything). The shower has 3 water heads at different levels to get all parts of ones body. And of course, going along with the "heated" theme, a heated towel rack for the bath towels. The bedroom is an alcove, not a separate room - there is no door separating it from the living room. The king sized bed is very comfortable. I slept well - no tossing and turning - which can be caused by a bad mattress. The pillows were too soft, however there were enough of them that I could use 3 to give me adequate head support. The living room has a kitchen area with a sink, microwave and nice sized mini fridge. There is an HDTV, DVD player and gas fireplace along one wall. There is also an enclosed porch outside the front door in which one could sit and get some air.

The owners were on vacation during our stay, but they left two very nice people in charge. Jo, a lovely lady who is also British (like the owners) and Carole a Midwest girl. Both were outgoing, interesting and easy to talk to. I spent a little while talking to each and they both enhanced my stay. Seven Oak's DVD collection is up to date - I was able to watch a couple of movies that recently became available on DVD. The suite was VERY clean - and I am a stickler for that so I did pay attention. There was plenty of parking spaces for the guests. About half of the suites are in their own individual cottage. But the rest are in two suite cottages - mine was one of the latter. The soundproofing was excellent because I was not disturbed at all by any noise from the couple in the adjoining suite. I also want to comment on the wine and cheese that are provided to guests upon arrival. This was a full bottle of wine - not a mini-bottle. One can request red or white - I asked for a red, like a merlot and that was exactly what I got. The cheese was excellent (as one would expect in Wisconsin) there were also tasty crackers and very good fruit as part of the welcome package. Seven Oaks offers large comfortable suites with great amenities. It took us about 3 minutes to drive to the lake itself (turn left on Baker street from Wells - ask for directions I did not find this shortcut until my second day). I would definitely stay at Seven Oaks again.

Room Tip: Windsor suite has Blu-ray player and heated toilet seat.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We always make this place a once a year get away spot! The cabins are clean, neat, and very cozy! The cabins are close but they seem miles apart! They serve you breakfast in the morning and bring it to your door! The bathroom has a whirlpool for two. The cabins are perfect for a weekend get away!! We love this place

Room Tip: Book a cabin other then the Astor. This cabin is smaller then the other ones! But cozy!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple