“Grand view, great service, mediocre food.”
Review of The Geneva Inn

The Geneva Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Geneva Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 95 Restaurants in Lake Geneva
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Discover extraordinary cuisine at the Grandview Restaurant and Lounge. Savor a breathtaking, panoramic view of Geneva Lake and experience delicious combinations of texture, flavor and aroma.The Chefs at The Grandview Restaurant and Lounge take great pride in the process by which excellent food is created. Recognizing that quality of ingredients is paramount in the achievement of spectacular cuisine, we use nothing but the best and freshest available. LIVE Music every Friday and Saturday night, and Sunday Brunch. BREAKFAST: Monday - Saturday 7:30am - 10am LUNCH: Monday - Saturday 11:30am - 2:30pm DINNER: Monday - Saturday from 5pm DINNER: Sunday - from 4pm SUNDAY BRUNCH: 10:30am - 2pm
Reviewed April 14, 2011

We went to the Grandview in search of a special dinner. A time to splurge and take time to enjoy some food that we wouldn't normally eat because of the price.

The view was good. We went on a Friday and there were plenty of tables still available that overlook the lake. Temperature and chairs were comfortable. Service was good, our waiter (Rick) was truly a professional and timed each course perfectly.

We ordered the mushroom soup. It had good flavor, and was thick, but starchy.

I had a moderately good Pinot Grigio for $10 a glass.

Salads were good. Fresh vegetables and incredibly cold. The dressings seemed made in-house and were very good. The bread was sourdough and very good also.

I ordered the scallops. The scallops were grilled perfectly. Sweet with a hint of char flavor, but no other seasoning really. They were served on a bed of cubed potatoes, carrots, and asparagus. The asparagus was bitter, and the root veggies were oily with no real seasoning either. A very bland dish.

My dining companion ordered halibut cheeks. The fish was surprisingly tough and again, somewhat flavorless. It was served on crab risotto that was somehow overcooked and undercooked at the same time, it was crunchy and pasty. Bland. It was also served with mini purple carrots and fiddlehead fern shoots. The ferns were a treat. I always wanted to try them. They were fresh and crunchy and almost had a flowery flavor.

I guess I was looking for unexpected flavors or pairings, and the flavor in the dishes was lacking. Our meal for two cost $170 with tip. On the way home we stopped at a local mushroom grower and bought some food for dinner to prepare at home for $20 and that meal eclipsed our meal at Grandview. I can't say I'll go again.

2  Thank Flat_Earther
Maia W, Manager at The Geneva Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write about your dining experience and we are sorry that we disappointed you. Our menu changes with the seasons, and we do hope you will give us another chance, and we hope to win you back.

There are newer reviews for The Geneva Inn

Reviewed March 28, 2011

I have been to the Grandview two times in the past month and have had great experiences. On both occasions we had a lovely window table with attentive service. The food quality was excellent and the meal value was very good for the location. All in all a very classy place with complimentary valet parking. I would recommend visiting the restaurant and hotel.

Reviewed January 29, 2011

My husband I were celebrating my Birthday and our son's gradutation by ourselves, which never seems to happen. We had the worst food experience and server experience I think I have seen in a long time. Terri the server was slow, no where to be found, arguementative, loud when asked a question - disrupting other tables next to us with all of her excuses. Slow and disrepectable!!!

The food was horrible, the brie cheese was not hot, the bread served at the table was stale. My husband had asked to subsitute the Salmon for the Grouper but keep all the same service style of the Salmon dish but were told that could not happen so he ordered the Salmon which was a disappointment starting out. (how hard is it to change out a piece of fish on top of rice?) I ordered the Filet, which I have loved the past two times we have been there. This time was horrible - the filet when served was charred (black) on the outside -looked very dry -then when you cut into it, it was grey-well, well, well done. - No herb butter on top (other tables next to us had a nice large pat of herb butter on top. When I ordered it Mediem. We again waiting for our waitress still couldn't find her asked the bus boy to send her over but they just looked puzzled. So I got up from my table (5 minutes after being served and not checked on) and took my filet to the hostess stand, showed them and they said they would get a new on going. Came back to the table and took my husband's plate and said they would remake his. 15 minutes later the filet and the salmon arrived again - the salmon was the same plate just kept warm - Salmon Filet was dried out due just keeping warm . My Filet still came out looking charred (black) on the outside (again with no herb butter pat) but on the inside the middle it was rare, blood on the plate. Very unappetizing.

For such a fine dining establishment they are lacking now in service and food quality. For their sake I hope this was just a fluke as we need good restaurants in Lake Geneva. The new menu has less choices than before and needs more variety.

I have always recommended this restaurant to new people but unless thing change, this will be a hard sell.

Lake Geneva Resident

3  Thank dngcrtc
Reviewed January 10, 2011

We recently decided to try the Grandview for my father's birthday dinner. The best part of the evening was the greeting; the lady at the front desk of the hotel and the hostess both greeted us warmly, so we were ready for a complete experience that would be similar.

Unfortunately, that was not the case.

Our server managed to give us the wrong bottle of wine (my fault I suppose for not catching it when she showed me the bottle), give all of our entrees to the wrong people at our table (there were only 3 of us), and do it all in an indifferent, rushed, and condescending manner. Eye contact was never made with anyone at our table.

I suppose I could look past all of this if the food had been worth the wait. My steak and potatoes were very heavily salted: we are talking salt as a main course with a side of steak and potatoes. By the time we finished our meal, we decided to cut our losses and skip the dessert.

This was a real disappointment, as the location and view are great. I'm very hesitant to try the brunch/lunch after this experience. We will probably stay away from this place for good.

2  Thank erinmoliver
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Its a real shame the management let the restaurant kitchen sink so low. This used to be a wonderful place for dinner, lunch, and Christmas Teas. Over the years I noticed the portions becoming more common, and the amount of sauces used increasing.

After months of 60 hour weeks my husband and I took a Friday lunch at the Grandview, looking forward to seeing Lake Geneva decorated for the holiday as well as the hotel. We both ordered the special stuffed trout and requested the mashed potatos in place of the sweet potato fries.

The potatos were so salty (and I really like salt) that neither of us could eat it. The trout was served whole with the skin on, and the sauce over the skin?????? Why would any self respecting chef pour sauce over the skin?

The trout had been frozen poorly which left it waterlogged and slightly fishy in with no other discernable flavor. The stuffing was corn meal mush with frozen crawfish. Although I tried scrapping of the corn meal mush it still dominated the flavor.

This restaurant has not changed its lunch or dinner menu for over a year. Their previous chef changed the base menu quarterly and had a handful of specials each day. Their current chef probably worked fro Armark Vending services.

We will NEVER go here again. A real shame.

3  Thank Uncork4