“Loved it...would come back again!”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Lake Geneva Resort
Chicago
“Loved it...would come back again!”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

My husband, one year old and myself were not expecting stayed here in July. We received the room from Hotwire with a great rate considering it was summer. When we checked in (you must check in at the Grand Geneva Resort Registration), we were expecting a standard room, but we received a Deluxe Room which was a pleasant surprise. Fully stocked kitchen with electric oven, full fridge/freezer, dishwasher. The living room had a tv and a DVD player. Our room even had a whirlpool. One of the best perks was a stacking washer/dryer. i've stayed at plenty of places and this is the first time we had this. We definitely took advantage of this. The room also boasts a separate living room with a balcony overlooking the golf course. I mentioned that we were bringing my 1 year old, so they had brought up a play pen with covers AND a high chair without me even asking.

Pros: Since it located on Grand Geneva's property, you have access to everything Grand Geneva offers. Though the Holiday inn has their own outdoor pool, we decided to drive over to the main outdoor pool at the Grand Geneva. There are two pools, one of which was a warm kiddie pool that my son loved. We also order room service for dinner and breakfast. You can actually choose from their in room dining menu or even one of the restaurants on the restaurant property. Food was yummy!

Cons: The Holiday Inn is separate from the main resort, so you will need to use the free trolley or drive. The resort is less than 10 minutes away from downtown Lake Geneva, which is not a big deal, but parking is mad! They clean your room right before your stay, so if you wanted a clean room every night you would have to pay a fee.

We tried the Timber Ridge waterpark for a half day ($15). I think it was a little too pricey for what we paid. If we had an older child who could utilize the water slides, then it might be worth it. My husband and son liked the outdoor pool at the main resort better.

Bottom Line: I would recommend if you are staying in the resort and need some time to kill. It is a little pricey for what you get, so if you have older children it may be worthwhile since they can use the slides.

Tip: You can buy food here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TrvLjunkiE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
illinois
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Stayed here in June, 2011 for three nights. The hotel is on the grounds of the Grand Geneva Resort. Though not owned by the resort you check in and out there. It consists of 5 buildings of rooms/suites and has views of one of the resorts golf courses. The unit we had consisted of a bedroom, bathroom and living area with a small, though very complete kitchen. Units seem to all have a balcony or patio. You enter the unit into the bedroom and have to go thru it to get to the living area. Kind of odd/inconvenient and could cause privacy issues for couples with kids or if people want to come and go while others are sleeping. There is a sleeper sofa in the living area.
The facilities of the Grand Geneva Resort are all available to guests here and that is a big plus. Negatively , you have to drive or take the resort's Trolly to get to the resort as it is an inconvenient walk though close by(literally right up the hill).
The unit we had was noisy. You could hear traffic, room and stairway doors slamming and noise through the walls. Not great pillows

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Savanna, Illinois
Reviewed June 18, 2011

I would advise against staying here after my two nights. Here's why: 1) The hotel is on the property of an entirely separate resort called Grand Geneva Lodge. Therefore to check in, you actually go to the Grand Geneva Lodge and visit their registration desk- this is about a quarter mile away by car. 2) While the Grand Geneva Lodge looks very nice, the Holiday Inn on the property is dirty - The room was dirty (cigarette on floor, sink stained, etc.) and the common areas were worse. 3) The room was run down - the mattress needed to go, TV was the old tube kind with a remote that needed batteries. 4) I called "registration" after I returned to my room for the second night and discovered housekeeping had not been there - was told by "registration" that you don't get housekeeping for the second night unless you pay $12.50 and request it 24 hours in advance! 5) I had to have a zero balance receipt to get reimbursement - when I went to "registration" the young lady told me that she can't give me a receipt because I paid Holiday Inn - I told her I paid Holiday Inn online and I needed a receipt showing no new charges and she told me she was not Holiday Inn and that they just gave me my key.
I travel a lot. Too much probably. I have to, but I don't need this kind of experience.

Room Tip: Sorry. There is no way I can recommend this place
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Manitowoc, WI
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The ultimate in relaxation!!! My husband I took advantage of an in-state get-a-way. From the moment we checked in to the time we checked out. Everything was clean. Room was above expectations. Spa staff were courteous and informative. From the attentiveness of the locker room attendants (Joanne and Paul were wonderful) to the waitress at the piano bar. The gardens on the grounds were amazing and zen. Adequate cardio and weight training equipment/space. Everything was laid back and very relaxing. Only things we found a little confusing was where to check in...registration sign was not observed until we were leaving the property, thinking we were in the wrong area. We had to ask groundskeepers where it was and where to check in. (Grounds keepers were very courteous) I'm known to be a bit of a tightwad, so I thought the $10 martini's were a little out of line. This was our first stay at the Lake Geneva Resort, our hope is to visit once again once our daughter returns home from serving her country. She will be in need of the stress free environment.

Room Tip: Be a Holiday In Priority Club Member...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
chicago, il
Reviewed June 13, 2011

stayed here for memorial day with family. they have the timeshare points and reserved side by side rooms for the long weekend. (which means, i cannot comment on the price/expectations.. only my stay)

i have stayed at Timberridge Lodge before on premises and was enjoyed this stay more (mostly because the Orange Lake rooms were closer to the main lodge at golfing). The rooms were nice and spacious. I enjoyed having the kitchen as we cooked a few times. A few pros and cons

PROS:
-The amenities as Grand Geneva Resort are unparalleled. We enjoyed the gym and lap pool and both of those were empty when we went. it was also just a quick walk up the hill to get to it.
-The location is right by the Grand Geneva vs. Timberridge being closer to the road. There was no need to worry about the trolley and/or driving as we could easily walk everywhere
-The staff is very nice. When we checked in our key didn't work to one of the rooms. We called and were up in a second.
-we had a view of the golf course which was great. i honestly don't know how people had a different view as it looked like they all faced that way.

CONS:
-the pool by our area is small.. this wasn't a problem for us as it was overcast most the weekend and we were the only ones however, on a busy day, the place would be packed.
-the spa is too pricey on the resort.. more of a general complaint.
-since there is no maid service, i felt like we were short on towels a lot.. when you see a maid, just ask for more or swap.
-------------
we personally didn't notice any noise issues. most of the people around us had older kids which worked in our favor.

would definitely recommend.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed March 17, 2011

I personally like reviews that promote a sense of sincerity by offering details that are both good and bad, these seem to be the most helpful when I make decisions based on reviews and hope the following does the same.

My only negative point is also seen in prior reviews and is related to the noise level of surrounding units. Thankfully I enjoyed my day activities that I pretty much could sleep through a train wreck.

The service at both the Grand Cafe and Mountain Top Ski area was beyond exceptional. The night my family arrived, we treated ourselves to the Prime Rib and Crab Leg buffet which was above average, but the service really made the experience worth the tab. Mid next day we found out that it was the last day for activities on the Ski mountain. My intention was to measure my wife and kid's abilities and interest to see if a future snowboard trip was justifiable. The major speed bump was the $400 price tag for lift tickets and rental gear for a 3 hour window. The associate working the ski shop listened to our concerns and realized the decision to offer a discount was above his authority but he promptly escalated our request to his manager. In the end, we settled on a price that we believed was fair for us and the resort. Turns out our family will definitely be taking a snowboard trip in the future. Thank you to Grand Geneva resort for making our stay so pleasant.

Lastly, the rooms were extremely spacious. We originally booked 2 bedrooms with the anticipation of another family travelling with us, but unfortunately we only brought 1 extra person for a total party of 6. The 2 units were connected and could have easily slept 3 or 4 more.

FYI - We also took the 1.5 hr drive to Chicago and 1 hr drive to Milwaukee since they were relatively close. Both cities offered activities that helped make our vacation a memorable experience.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank fo0gly
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Arrived at 11 and couldn't check in until 4:00 pm. When I walked into my room it opened right into the bedroom. There was a beautiful view from the bedroom of the elevator shaft not of the golf course as pictured. When I got to the living room there was no fireplace as described when I booked my room. When I called the front desk they said they couldnt do anything for me since I booked through RCI. Was thinking of having a wedding reception here but probably won't come back. Thanks Dawn.

• Stayed January 2011