“Wouldn't go back”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2008

We recently visited Lake Geneva and found this to be one of the very few advertised restaurants for breakfast. When we arrived, we were seated promptly but the rest of the visit went downhill. Our waitress was void of personality and could not seem to get our order right. She brought the wrong beverages and forgot to deliver part of our order. The service was also very slow. It seemed as though the restaurant was not prepared for the number of diners that morning.

As far as the food goes, our oldest son enjoyed his french toast and our toddler ate his scrambled eggs, but my husband and I were disappointed with our meals. He had the swedish pancakes and was less than impressed. I had the scuttlemuffin and was upset that I hadn't gone to McDonald's because I could have gotten the same thing for a fraction of the price.

If we were in town again, we would not go back.

Reviewed November 23, 2007

Having lunch at Skuttlebutts has been a ritual of mine for many years, during every trip to Lake Geneva. But I always get the same thing... "Mom's Barbeque Burger". Skuttlebutts makes their own barbeque sauce (also sold in bottles) with a special recipe that truly tastes unique. It's a gem for those of us who prefer sweet barbeque sauce, and it's really a treat on the burgers (and fries!). The view of Lake Geneva is beautiful, but to sit by the windows you will need to go when they're not crowded. My only complaint about Skuttlebutts is the noisiness, due to the single dining room and a lack of sound dampening materials. When the restaurant is even moderately crowded, it's quite noisy. I've read complaints about the service, but I've never had any problems because I intentionally go there only during off-peak hours. But give their special barbeque sauce a try, and maybe take some home!

Reviewed October 1, 2007

There's a lot to like at Scuttlebutts - the great wait staff, the spectacular view of Geneva Lake, the quiet soft-jazz ambience and the smokefree surroundings. Recommended.

2  Thank StudioX-Chicago
Reviewed September 19, 2007

Our group of 8 had a variety of dishes for dinner & all we just ok. Nothing outstanding. The service was slow, but we took it as standard service for a lakeside vacation town. No one is in a hurry apparently! The wait staff was friendly, but definitely working at a low gear. Very laid back.
We wanted a bottle of wine, but they had no wine list. Told us they had red or white as our choices! We chose red & it took forever (at least 10 minutes) for them to bring the bottle. We suspect they ran around the corner to buy it at the liquor store. When they brought it to us uncorked, they did not pour it for us. We certainly aren't wine snobs, but it was odd to pour your own at a restaurant!
The view is fabulous if you sit near the window which faces the lake. We were in the back & didn't feel we could take advantageof the lakefront location.
Overall, we enjoyed our experience because it was so funny! We will be laughing about this one for many years. Definitely not the kind of service we expected, but we were on vacation & chose to operate at their slow speed & relax. I don't think I would dine here again for lunch or dinner, but an early AM breakfast (before the crowds hit) might be good.

Reviewed September 5, 2007

Lingonberry pancakes were good, as advertised, the view was wonderful, and the service was decent and prices reasonable.

The biggest complaint I would have is that we left somewhat hungry due to the small portions. The coffee was sub-par, and I could taste sediment in it from leaked coffee grounds, which left a grimy texture in my mouth after drinking it.

1  Thank GlenviewDad