“My favorite place in Lake Geneva.”
Review of Scuttlebutts - CLOSED

Scuttlebutts
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Chicagoland
“My favorite place in Lake Geneva.”
Reviewed October 1, 2007

There's a lot to like at Scuttlebutts - the great wait staff, the spectacular view of Geneva Lake, the quiet soft-jazz ambience and the smokefree surroundings. Recommended.

2 Thank StudioX-Chicago

Madison, WI
“Marginal at best”
Reviewed September 19, 2007

Our group of 8 had a variety of dishes for dinner & all we just ok. Nothing outstanding. The service was slow, but we took it as standard service for a lakeside vacation town. No one is in a hurry apparently! The wait staff was friendly, but definitely working at a low gear. Very laid back.
We wanted a bottle of wine, but they had no wine list. Told us they had red or white as our choices! We chose red & it took forever (at least 10 minutes) for them to bring the bottle. We suspect they ran around the corner to buy it at the liquor store. When they brought it to us uncorked, they did not pour it for us. We certainly aren't wine snobs, but it was odd to pour your own at a restaurant!
The view is fabulous if you sit near the window which faces the lake. We were in the back & didn't feel we could take advantageof the lakefront location.
Overall, we enjoyed our experience because it was so funny! We will be laughing about this one for many years. Definitely not the kind of service we expected, but we were on vacation & chose to operate at their slow speed & relax. I don't think I would dine here again for lunch or dinner, but an early AM breakfast (before the crowds hit) might be good.

Chicagoland, IL
“Beautiful View, Small Portions”
Reviewed September 5, 2007

Lingonberry pancakes were good, as advertised, the view was wonderful, and the service was decent and prices reasonable.

The biggest complaint I would have is that we left somewhat hungry due to the small portions. The coffee was sub-par, and I could taste sediment in it from leaked coffee grounds, which left a grimy texture in my mouth after drinking it.

1 Thank GlenviewDad
East Lansing, Michigan
“Great Food--Horrible Service”
Reviewed August 15, 2007

Hmmm, I see other people didn't like the service here either!

The food was excellent and well priced. My husband had Walleye that was out-of-this-world good ($20). I had pulled pork served on two cornbread pancakes with homemade barbeque sauce, and homemade baked beans and coleslaw ($10) And, I have to say that for such a simple meal, I was still talking about it the next day. Our children also really enjoyed their meals. We had a nice table with a great view of Geneva Lake. They also have a full bar and pretty good wine list.

Now, the bad--the appetizers came with our dinner! I knew we were in trouble when my husband's salad arrived and the appetizers hadn't. But, I was shocked when everything came out together. When my husband complained, the waitress just said, "I'm not sure what they did," and walked away. When the check came, she was very rude in that she had placed a gin and tonic on our bill, but did not charge us for two glasses of wine. She brought it to our attention and said, "Okay, guys, I am not going to change it because you come out ahead." She presented it like we had gotten away with something, not that she had made a mistake. And, yes, we did save about $8 dollars, and perhaps it was her way of making up for the bad service, but she was simply quite rude about it.

I tried to be charitable in that it seemed like she probably really needed this job and probably just didn't know any better, but the management ought to send her to some kind of training.

Again, the food was very good--even the appetizers that came with the dinner. The view was nice. It is a very small restaurant with a nice menu. I would go back and hope for a better server.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Great time!”
Reviewed October 6, 2005

Great selection in food! We love this place and will always stop back when we are in town!