“popeye's place”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2007

I'm a townie, and I've eaten here more than a few times. Nothing spectacular, nothing terrible. Just middle of the road. They have a few better than average dishes, but again, middle of the road with a descent view, maybe slightly better than Houlihan's view. The most accurate description I can give is hit or miss. Some days it's better than others. Try it if you like, but more often than not I'd go to Houlihan's

There are newer reviews for Popeye's on Lake Geneva

Reviewed July 7, 2007

I would go back to Lake Geneva just to eat the bbq plate from Popeye's again. They have meat roasting outside all day long and bring it in fresh for every order.

We ordered the sampler with ribs, chicken and pork. My date was in love with the ribs. (For those of you from Chicago, they gave Twin Anchors a run for their money. ) The chicken was sooo tender it fell off the bone. The pork was a bit disappointing though. I was expecting pulled pork, but received pork on the bone that was a little tough.

Portions are huge. I would definitely go back and order the ribs and chicken combo.

Reviewed March 20, 2007

Let me say first that I'm originally from the area and have eaten there many times. The food is alway average and usually the staff is harried.
I went there on Saturday, March 17 to meet my family for the corned beef and cabbage special. This is one of their busiest days of the year, I know this-but it doesn't account for rude behavior.
First the very rude parking attendent told me that the lot was full and although I had handicapped parents, he wouldn't allow them to be dropped off at the handicapped entrance in the parking lot. He said that there were "a lot of handicapped people inside" and that he "was working his butt off" and that basically we'd have to park on the street and walk a few block like everyone else. I wasn't asking to park there, I just wanted to drop them off.
Then at the entrance the hostess informed me that she couldn't seat us until our entire party was present (we were waiting for 2 friends). Once I saw the line of people and realized that my elderly parents using walkers would have to stand in a long line, we left and went to Houlihanns down the street.
MUCH better food, much better service, same great view of the lake.
Don't waste your time and money on this place.

Reviewed November 15, 2006

As a casual dining with a rustic nautical theme, this place has its own special ambiance. We will travel to Lake Geneva just for their broccoli cheese soup. The grilled in a pit chicken and pork are tender and juicy. Why eat a hamburger when they specialize in these items? Their fries are seasoned lightly and are not greasy when we visit there. We especially enjoy sitting at the windows that overlook the marina ballroom, lake and a sandy beach and just people watch. It's a great destination for a one day getaway.

Reviewed May 1, 2006

Have never been impressed with Popeyes food. Fries are never cooked right, sandwiches are greasy. Unless it is just the Reuban, Quesadila's, Cheeseburger, and Italian Beef that are all bad. Macs, Houlihans, Champs are all better. Popeyes has a great location and that is about it.