“Cove of Lake Geneva - Great Location - next to downtown Lake Geneva”

Cove of Lake Geneva
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed March 23, 2014

It was the perfect choice for my husband birthday weekend!! When we checked in Barbara was friendly and very helpful, as was all the staff we encountered. We stayed in the commodore suite a nicely decorated spacious one bedroom suite with full kitchen incl. utensils, new pots & pans, stove, oven, microwave and full size refrigerator and freezer! The living and dining room consisted of fireplace, flat screen tv, 2 arm chairs, sofa sleeper, coffee table, large kitchen table with 4 wooden chairs and 3 wooden chairs at the bar. The bedroom was roomy with a king size bed, dresser & closet. The bathroom was big with 2 entrances through bedroom or dining area. There was also ceiling fans and separate HVAC units in the bedroom & living room. As for the rest of property, the pool was nice with cold water one day but warm the next day! The fitness center had well taken care of equipment: treadmills, elliptical, weight machines and a flat screen tv.
It appears the hotel has had quite a few additions therefore there is a lot of walking from room to pool, front desk etc.. There are entrance/exit doors near the end of each wing and elevators so walking to and from you car is easy and you can see your car from your room. The location is within walking distance for shopping, dining and sightseeing in downtown Lake Geneva.
After staying in at least 5 different hotels for the last couple years we found the BEST one!!!

1  Thank Review4u2014
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

I am very excited to hear about your great experience here at the Cove. I hope that you are able to come out during the summertime and enjoy our outdoor pool area. Warmer weather is near, and I hope that we will see you soon!

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We had a great time at The Cove of Lake Geneva. Our kids loved the pool and game room. My husband and I loved being able to walk one block to Main Street in town, having Sprecher's connected to the hotel, and grabbing a glass of wine at the lobby bar. Our room was spacious and offered conveniences and comforts of home: kitchen, Jacuzzi tub, and fireplace. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. We look forward to returning to The Cove.

Room Tip: Rooms farther from the lobby are quieter due to less foot traffic.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank you for letting us know about your fun weekend at the Cove. My hope is that you will bring the family back during the summertime, so the kids will be able to see what we have in store for activities and the outdoor pool. I am excited to see you at the Cove soon.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

My family and some friends booked 2 rooms at the Cove for my wife's birthday. The hotel is conveniently located in "Downtown" Lake Geneva close to the Lake and shops. The hotel itself does need some updating but you can tell they are working on it. It was a great stay and they were very accommodating in getting the rooms as close as possible. The restaurant/pub on site is definitely a plus. Thank you Ryan and the staff of the Cove for a great weekend!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

I am very excited to hear about your pleasant stay at the Cove. My hope is that you will be back this summer to enjoy our Cabana Bar and outdoor pool. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Where oh where do I begin? My boyfriend called the resort a few days before our expected check in date to inquire on early check in, he was told before 11 am would be a $20 fee, ok no problem. I called the day after to ask if their rooms were booked that night so that I would know if the room would have a chance at being ready early, the lady asked my name I said I already have a reservation but would like to know if you're fully booked to know if I should head to WI early or wait since I had a 2 hour drive. She then told me that early check in was before noon not 11 and $20 which I already knew - ok fine. I asked again if the place was booked she was rude, I let her know she was not helpful and that I was asking simple information. She told me to call back the morning of to see if our room was ready. - This was not something I was happy with I asked a simple question, I'm coming from 2 hours away, I'm not going to leave my home at 10 am to 'hope' a room is ready by noon. The front desk said I can park my car there, everything is in walking distance - that's no help either. I'm not comfortable leaving belongings in my car for people to see and possibly break into the car to steal, also um hello it was about 30 degrees out! FYI - they won't hold your bags for you, all I'd ask to hold is stuff in our back seat. So day of we called at 11 am and they said our room was ready for us whenever we got there... when we got there the clocks weren't changed in our room.... so had our room always been ready since the night before? If not and someone else was in there, why didn't they (The resort) change the clocks?

When we arrived and started to unload our things into the kitchen that we brought to cook we looked around at what we had to work with. There were 2 pots one small and one large and a small pan, ONE SMALL PAN? that's it?! This place sleeps 4 and that's it? There wasn't anything to use to cook in the oven either. When we went to look at what was in the small drawers next to the oven we couldn't, they wouldn't open because the oven was in the way. I moved the oven myself and then you were able to open the drawers but only when you opened the oven door.

When we booked the room we knew the set up, thought it was odd to begin with but never did we think it would cause a heating/cooling issue. The first night bedroom area was so hot we had to move in the middle of the night to the couch, we pulled it out to the bed and even though it was more uncomfortable than the bed we dealt with it to get the a/c and cold air from the sliding door since we were sweating our rear ends off. The next day we left the a/c running in hopes to use the bed again which we did, it was better but then it was freezing when we wanted to sit on the couch. Lose lose situation there, the fire place was nice though.

Oh and good luck with the sliding door lock in this unit, you'll really pinch your fingers if you're not careful... that is if you can even get it to lock.

Another thing in the kitchen, thanks for providing the dish soap.... now what do I use to clean the dishes? Oh good thing I brought a sponge! There wasn't even a bar of soap to wash your hands in the kitchen, took one bar from the bathroom, a hand towel too.

Back to the sleeping/relaxing part - their walls are paper thin, heard everything above, below & next to us all day and all night. Sounded like a herd of elephants upstairs even after 9 pm. The first night I tried calling the front desk about it and no one answered, after waiting a minute or two i hung up. The second night I called about it they sent security up but we still heard the noise all night long. Uncomfortable bed plus noise, crap sleep both nights (FYI this was a Thurs and Fri night).

The pool was big, the hot tub was too, the Sauna never did heat up evenly and wasn't very easy to find.

I won't be back nor will I be recommending this place to friends/family/mom's travel agency

2  Thank Amie W
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

I am deeply sorry to hear about all of your experiences here at the Cove. Even though this does not change how your stay went, we do appreciate the feedback so that we are able to address the circumstances that you have mentioned.

Our goal is to be as customer-friendly as possible, and your stay at our establishment is an aberration from our typical guest stay. We hope that you are able to come and try us again at the Cove, as we want the opportunity to earn your trust and business. The problems you have mentioned will be addressed going further, and I do thank you for making us aware of them.

Please do not hesitate to contact me, as I would love to discuss this further. My hope is that you give us another opportunity to show you that we do strive for excellence at the Cove.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Overall my stay was nice once again here at the cove. A tip to my fellow travelers request a room by the woods, it's really quite. Staff was very accommodating like always. I been coming here for years and some rooms are indeed nicer than others, my only tip to them will be to update their condos. Will be back to enjoy the pools in the summer

Room Tip: woods view rooms are quiet and relaxing
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

I am so glad to hear about your stay here at the Cove. We are concentrating the majority of our time and effort into making the Cove as guest friendly as possible. I am excited for warmer weather as well, and will enjoy seeing you on your return trip this summer.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

After booking on Hotwire, they added a hidden $12 "resort fee" to our bill when we showed up.
Sleazy hotel. The price they advertise and that you prepay blind on Hotwire (nonrefundable) is not the price they'll charge you for the room.

They didn't list any possible "resort fee" on Hotwire, as some hotels do. In short, they wouldn't rent us the room for the price they listed. And the Hotwire customer service supervisor said they don't monitor hotels' honesty; he also admitted that he doesn't use Hotwire to book his own vacations, and neither will I in the future. Hotwire refunded the $12 to our friends but not us, so this is a warning to anyone thinking about staying at the Cove or using Hotwire to book a hotel.

And by the way: it's not a resort by any stretch of the imagination. It's just a hotel.

3  Thank JohnChicago1
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

I am sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience here at the Cove. Also, I would like to apologize about the confusion with Hotwire. I hope that you give us an opportunity in the future to earn your trust and business back at the Cove. We are diligently working on fixing the issues at hand.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I went to the Cove for a friend's bachelorette party. She had prepaid for the room and I had arrived about 10 minutes before she did. The gentleman at the front desk said that I could still check in, even though I am not the one who booked the room. He said that he would need a credit card as a just in case, implying that it was in case the person who booked the room claimed that she didn't know me. He then had me initial and sign a piece of paper for the room keys. I found out the next day that my credit card had been charged a "booking fee". When I called the hotel to inquire about the charge, I was transferred to Barb. She was not polite, she was actually kind of sarcastic and snooty. I was not told at any time that my card would be charged for anything, until after it was charged. When I explained this to Barb, she did not want to hear it. When I was explaining to her what the gentleman at the front desk had told me and suggested that she make sure her employees are correctly explaining everything to their guests, she hung up on me.

I then called my friend who booked the room and told her what happened. She said that she was never informed of a booking fee either.

The room was nice and I did enjoy myself. However, the fact that a charge to my card, when my name wasn't on the room, and nobody telling me that there would be a charge has left a sour taste in my mouth. The way Barb handled the situation only made things worse. I have no desire to stay at the Cove again and I will warn people how management treats their guests and they can decide whether or not to stay there.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Hevnly81
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

I am very sorry to hear about your experience here at the Cove. I appreciate that you have made me aware of the situation, as I can address that going forward. I can assure you we care about our customer satisfaction here at the Cove, and if you would like to discuss further please give me a call. My hope is that you can come back and give us another try and I would love the opportunity to make something work!