“Great for Parties of 5 or 6”

Cove of Lake Geneva
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed here as a group of 5 girls in the Bella Loft one weekend in June. Our stay was great, however I will say that the operations are somewhat disorganized. I tried booking a weekend through a Groupon but ended up booking through the hotel directly in order to ensure we could secure the weekend we needed. The front desk confirmed my reservation and thanked me, but when I asked if I would receive a confirmation email I was told that they don't send them. So I inquired for a confirmation number, but was then told they do not have those either. I thought this was very weird so I called back a week later and spoke to someone who emailed me confirmation. Also we tried checking in four times (we did arrive several hours early) and did not actually get our room until 45 minutes after standard check in time. Not a huge deal because you can use the pool, but for the amount we were paying it would have been nice to get a restaurant voucher or something if they cannot meet their advertised check in time. Nevertheless, we would stay again. The Loft was very spacious with a great kitchen. Not sure if I would pay full price again though. This was our first visit to Lake Geneva and we loved it! Rent a boat at Leather Lips Water Sports! Through my research I found they had the best price and we had a great experience! Walking distance from the hotel as well.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your recent visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. I sincerely apologize on for the lack of customer service that you received and the delay in your check in process. It is my hope that you will accept my sincerest apologies and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the very near future.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Ive been to 3 other hotels,resorts in Lake Geneva but the Cove will be our place to stay for the future vacations, inside pool and outside pools are great, this place is a block away from everything, had a great time this weekend during July 4th vacation.

Room Tip: We always groupon, the Belle Loft is huge room very nice .
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank willypguz

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We appreciate your business and look forward to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family has come to the lake geneva/delevan area for decades and have stayed at almost every hotel/resort and cottage in the area. We have now stayed at the cove 4-5 time the past few years and over the recent July 4th weekend, rented 2 rooms with our family($2900+) for 5 days.

Overall, you can't beat the coves location, pools and huge rooms. Park the car and forget it the rest of the trip. Kiddie pool was great n safe and bigger pool for adults. Rooms are huge and great for large gatherings/separate sleeping areas, which was great for our kids naps.

On the other side, I feel the hotel needs updating/cleaning/ hire more staff during peak season.

After renting many rooms through the years, almost all need new furniture/carpet. Baths n kitchens are also starting to feel a little outdated as well. Room 407 is very nice, though.

Another thing that would make a difference is replacing the hallway/elevator carpeting which in many areas, is heavily soiled/ worn. I also perceive this as the main reason some areas and rooms smell odd and it not the guest cooking in the rooms.

Lastly, the outdoor cabana bar needs to be updated so that it is conducive to serving (layout/fully stocked and not constantly hearing everything is run out or the bartender had to run to the liquor closet, again and again) and please, hire more "real bartenders" on weekends so I am not hostage to not being allowed to bring in my own alcohol. Our group eventually had to come up with alternatives being at the pool all 5 days and the cove easily lost hundreds of dollars from our group in liquor charges.

I am hopeful that the new management company makes changes, as the cove really is almost a perfect location and has many positive things are really going for it. With a little more effort, attention to detail and money, this hotel could be fantastic.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Royalgtp
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience your experience may have caused you. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. We thank you for having confidence in our Management Company and hope you will give us the opportunity to accommodate you again during one of your Lake Geneva stays in the near future!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

A group of us stayed in late February for the weekend to get away. We had an Anchor Suite and were quite pleased with the size of the room but not the modernness or the cleanliness of the bathroom. There was a large group staying there for a wedding and most of their rooms were grouped together. They had their doors open and kids were running back and forth all night, also a long walk from the room to the front desk. Pool and hot tub were nice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I apologize for the noise level you experienced during your stay. We strive to provide an atmosphere that all of our guests can relax and retreat to. We thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. The feedback of our guests is extremely important to us. We appreciate your business and look forward to having you back at The Cove in the near future!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We just returned from a three night stay at The Cove and had a great experience. It was our second time here - the first under the new management. We stayed in a second floor Commodore Suite with our three year old. The room was a little dated (think grandma's living room), but extremely clean with a ton of room, a nice large bathroom and plenty of storage. The family we were staying with had a third floor Anchor Suite that was very nice also - upgraded granite counters in the kitchen and a stone finish on the fireplace wall. Many of the reviews on here complained about the hotel being dirty and not kept up very well. Our experience was not like that at all. The walls and ceilings in both the hallways and the rooms looked as though they had just been painted. The hallway carpets were pretty clean and we saw workers spot cleaning them as necessary. All of the staff we encountered from the desk workers to the lifeguards were very friendly and professional. If you treat people nicely and with respect, you'll probably get the same in return.

The pools and the location of the hotel are the biggest selling points for us. We parked our car and never used it the entire stay. The downtown location on the lake is fantastic. The pools are great - nice and big. The kids had a great time in the kiddie pools on the slides/pirate ship as well as in the big pool. We stayed during the 4th of July holiday and it was crowded, but never a problem at the pool. We had cabanas reserved for the two full days we were there. They were nice to reserve so there was no struggling to get a table with an umbrella later in the day and to get out of the sun. The cabanas come with a nice snack basket with candy, chips, pop, water, etc. We would definitely consider renting them again. There was live music in the afternoons as well as a bar that you can go up to and order, or they have servers that come around. Amanda was fantastic - very friendly and professional. The only big problem we encountered at the pool was on the first day we ordered lunch from the restaurant and it took forever. When it finally arrived, everything was cold. They were very nice when we said something and replaced it immediately. Lunch the next day was not a problem - arrived in a timely manner with no problems.

If you're expecting the Ritz Carlton, you'll be very disappointed in this hotel. There is definitely nothing fancy or luxury about it. It is, however, a great place to stay in Lake Geneva and have a really nice time. It's location and pool can't be beat.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank EnMMcG
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your most recent stay at The Cove of Lake Geneva! We are so glad you and your family had a wonderful time! I am happy to hear the staff was friendly and helpful! Thanks again for your business and we hope to see you very soon!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My friend and I wanted a girl's weekend in Lake Geneva so we decided to try the Cove. It's right on the water and was within walking distance of everything we wanted to do. Location is awesome. The rooms were good, nothing great. Very outdated, but clean. It was okay for a night but probably wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sandy B
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your most recent visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. We take all of our customer feedback very serious. I apologize that your perception of the hotel was dated. The owners and new management company are working together to bring new life back to The Cove. Thanks again for your feedback and it is my hope that you will give us an opportunity to regain your confidence in the near future.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have been to Lake Geneva over past summers and I have always stayed at Harbor Shores which is located next to The Cove of Lake Geneva. After reading many mixed reviews and some scary room stories I was hesitant to book a stay at The Cove. The location was prime because of how close it is to downtown Lake Geneva, the view of the lake across the street was unbeatable, and with a great weekly rate I just bit the bullet and paid for a night's stay and booked on Kayak.com. My boyfriend and I arrived a around 11am the morning of our check in. I went to the front desk to see if we could get an early parking pass and pool key, and to see if there was any chance of early check in, even though check in is not until 3pm. I am glad I went in early because the hotel said that they never recieved Kayak.com's booking information or confirmation so we had no hotel room. The staff was great and she felt so bad even though it was not an issue on their end. She found us an Anchor Suite room that was pool view on the third floor and allowed us to check in the room immediately. That is an example of great customer service.
The outdoor pool area was great and we hung out by the pool all day long. The cabana bar outside was also a great addition to our stay by the pool. Our room was not the most up to date, or the best decorated but it came stocked with everything we needed and was comfortable and clean. The next morning we checked out and our friends decided last minute to meet us up for the day and we decided to get a room for one more night all together. The hotel staff was once again great and provided us with a great room and again gave us a room with pool view and a prime location when the lady at the desk did not have to go above and beyond and do so. It was noon and our room was ready immediately, again earlier than usual check in time. Our room this time was a Commodore Suite on the third floor and was beautifully decorated and had modern decor. The room was clean and comfortable for the most part, the pull out couch being somewhat problematic. The whole day we again enjoyed the pool.
I am so glad I chose to ignore some negative reviews and stay at The Cove. We had a wonderful time and experienced great customer service, which goes a long way in my book any day. I would not book a trip with Kayak.com again, but I will definitely choose to stay at The Cove of Lake Geneva again.

Room Tip: If you are thinking of choosing the Anchor Suite it is great but spend the extra ten dollars and get...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Courtney K
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

On behalf of the hotel and our entire staff we would like to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your experience on your recent visit to THE COVE. We are pleased you were pleasantly surprised!!! We here at The Cove prides ourselves on customer service and look forward to your return on your future reservation. Thank you!