“Outdated and Poor Service is Getting Worse...I Hope the New Management Helps”

Cove of Lake Geneva
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stay in this area quite often for work and frequently stay at The Cove. We get a good corporate rate but I am now prepared to pay extra to stay at another hotel. Why? The facility and service continues to deteriorate.

I have always been frustrated by:
- The 10 minute check-in process caused by the fact that computer system does not retain
information
- The great location (right across the street from Lake Geneva) that is offset by the outdated
furnishings, stained carpets and barely serviceable appliances
- The wireless system is very weak (many rooms cannot access)
- The fitness room is a joke (very old equipment that never works)

During last week's stay there were a myriad of misteps that increased my frustration:
- The TV remote didn't match the TV so it didn't work
- They never sent someone to the room to rectify as promised
- No plastic bags in any of the trash cans
- When I went to check-out in the morning there wasn't anyone working the front desk so I
couldn't get a copy of my bill

They stated that they are transitioning to New Management. I hope that the New Management Team will invest in the property and upgrade their systems. I realize that this is primarily a "resort" property but they might want to make a few upgrades to attract and retain year-round patrons (aka "revenue") as well.

Room Tip: If you want access to the internet, I have had most success with rooms in the middle of the facility...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank filters11
GenevaHos, Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your most recent visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. I apologize for the recent maintenance issues in your suite and the service that you received. I am not sure why you have experienced a ten minute check in process as the check in process should not be taking more than a few minutes. We are in fact under new management as of the 14th of November and during the change over we did have to staff two night shifts with a security guard. If you are in need of a receipt, I would be more that happy to assist you. It is my hope that you will give the Cove of Lake Geneva the opportunity to regain your confidence in the near future and I would be glad to assist you with the reservation process, check in, or check out personally to ensure you that we are working to ensure your satisfaction.

There are newer reviews for Cove of Lake Geneva

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Booked one room for two night "as required" you can only book a minimum of 2 nights. They also require a 72 hour cancellation in which i canceled two weeks prior. Received 2 cancellation numbers for each night. I was charged for one night. The Cove stating that I only canceled for one night when clearly they have a two night minimum stay. Now being charged for a no show on the second night when both nights were canceled at the same time. I've tried contacting Paula Holmes on several occasions since August, with no returned call. The front desk service doesn't seem to know anything, and were very rude. Asked for the number of someone that I can contact and no one seems to know who that would be, besides Paula Holmes, who cannot be reached. I am being charged for a room that I clearly canceled in enough time. I have the cancellation numbers for both nights and all documentation. Since I cannot get in touch with anyone by phone I am writing this review. So be careful, The Cove does not go according to policy, and will falsely charge you!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Frustration333

I apologize for the issues that you are having with cancelling your reservation and not receiving credit. It sounds as if an error was made in the cancellation process and you were billed for a no show. I would be more than happy to assist you in resolving this issue. I am not sure if you have left a message, but I do call everyone back that contacts me within 48 hours. Every once in a while, I do have an issue returning a phone call that gives me a not in service message if I write the number down wrong or the message is so fast that I do not correctly understand a return phone number. You may also have me paged by the front desk if I am on property when you call. Again, I apologize for the issues that you have had in getting this billing issue resolved and look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

The best weekend getaway our family (mom, dad, 12 year old daughter and 16 month old son) has had to date! The staff was super friendly! Let us check in early and had a high hair ready in the lobby for our baby from an emailed request I made a few days before. Lake Geneva was beautiful and we all had a wonderful time walking around the town and poking around the shops. The pool was nice and big and warm enough for the baby. But we mostly hung out in our fabulous hotel room with a dining room table where we could play cards and just spend time together as a family. Mom loves to cook so we actually used the cute little kitchen quite a bit. The master bed was big enough for all of us to cuddle and watch cartoons in. It really was such a nice relaxing getaway for our usually very busy family! We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Fenwaygillespie

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva! It gives me great pleasure to hear what exceptional customer service that you received and that you were able to have a most enjoyable weekend away. We pride ourselves on having Lake Geneva's largest indoor pool and always try to keep it at eighty four degrees. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed at the cove for a night get away. rates were very good and room was excellent. very large rooms with many amenities. only negative was we were told about a wine and cheese tasting that was to take place and it was canceled. would however recommend the cove to friends and would come back again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard G

It gives me great pleaure to thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva! We pride ourselves on our spacious, well equipped suites, our amazing downtown Lake Geneva location, and our amenities and it is nice to hear that you enjoyed everything that we have to offer. We look forward to serving you again in the future and thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Had a very nice stay in the Anchor suite, very nice, clean room with kitchen, fireplace, 2 tvs & living room. Everything in the room looked new & clean, nice view from the balcony and very nice pool & arcade. Very nice look to the place and close to the lake & downtown lake geneva. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning to visit lake geneva to enjoy the lake, dining and shopping which are all within walking distance. Very affordable, cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
GenevaHos, Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your recent visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. I am glad that you were able to enjoy all of our amenities, especially the game room and Lake Geneva largest indoor pool. We pride ourselves on our spacious, well appointed suites and have six other suite types available besides the anchor suite that you enjoyed on your most recent visit. We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We love The Cove for a getaway location which is only 1 hour 40 minutes from our home in Naperville, IL. They have large, clean rooms, kitchenettes, jacuzzis, workout rooms, large pool, etc, and it is a very short walk to the lake, restaurants, and the downtown area. Our current trip was mid-week to celebrate my wife's 65th birthday. We were able to have dinner in two of our favorite restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: We have no specific tips; all of our stays have been in comfortable rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave F

Thank you for choosing the Cove of Lake Geneva to celebrate your wife's 65th birthday. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy all of our amenities as well as our spacious, well appointed suites. We pride ourselves on our amazing walk to everything Lake Geneva has to offer location and we greatly look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

During our check in, we were told that they overbooked our room and ended up offering us two different rooms which were not even close together. We also had two small children with us. The room was already paid for and we reserved a specific type of room, which we ended up not getting. They simple told us that they "overbooked" the room. When we asked to speak with a manager, we were told that there was no manager on duty. We then asked for them to call the manager as we wanted to speak with him or her -- and they would not reach out to the manager to get the situation resolved. They simply did not care. What kind of hotel does not have management on duty? We travel quite often and have stayed in many types of hotels, but this one tops the list as the worst -- does not matter that the location is excellent...the customer service is poor. Would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank familyfromchgo

I greatly apologize for the inconveniences that we caused you while visiting Lake Geneva. We pride ourselves on our great customer service, well appointed, spacius suites, and amazing downtown Lake Geneva location but occassionally errors do slip by. It is unfortunate that we were unable to accomodate you in the suite that you originally reserved and I do apologize that the accomodations that we had for you were unacceptable for your party. It is unacceptable to me the lack of customer service that you received and the lack of management that was available to resolve your issue. It is my hope that you will accept my deepest apologies and allow the Cove the opportunity to regain your confidence. It would be my pleasure to personally handle any upcoming travel reservations you need for the Cove and ensure that your family is well taken care of on an upcoming stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to assist you. Thanks again.