“Wonderful!!”

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Elgin, Illinois
“Wonderful!!”
Reviewed July 31, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Bella Vista for a night for our anniversary. I read some of the other reviews and they must have changed staff since then because the front desk staff was very friendly with us. The lobby with the koi pond was very nice! The room was beautiful! Small living room with flat screen tv, couch, refrigerator, coffee pot and microwave when you first walked in, then a bathroom and the bedroom. Our balcony off of the bedroom had an unbelievable view of the lake. We loved watching the sunset together on the balcony. The bedroom also had the shower/jaccuzi tub in it. We enjoyed having the tub in the bedroom, however, I can see if you had other family with you how that may be a problem. There was no shower/tub in the actual bathroom. The hotel also just opened a bar on the ground floor where you can drink at the bar or bring your beverages to the patio overlooking the lake. Great idea! Overall, we loved our stay and will definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hbridges2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 25, 2010

When I stay at a suite hotel, I expect cleanliness, a welcoming staff, and a comfortable suite. When my husband and I checked in, the front desk clerk was less than friendly and spoke as if she was in a rush and we were an interruption of what she was doing.. The suite was nice. However, although there were three separate rooms, a bedroom, a bathroom and a combo living room/kitchenette, the air conditioner was a room air conditioner in the bedroom. Since it was warm out and the air conditioner was only in the bedroom, it did not cool the suite enough to sit in the living room comfortably.

I would not return to this property for two reasons:
1. The cost of the suite ($195.00 plus taxes etc) when we could not comfortably use the living room due to a one room window air conditioner
2. No continental breakfast; no shop to buy snacks.

When we left the person who checked us out was very nice and polite but did not ask us about our stay, which all service focused hotels/suites would.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed June 27, 2010

We were fortunate to be given our weekend stay as a gift- a very generous gift after seeing what the summer season rates are! The room was spotlessly clean and the view of the lake was wonderful. The lobby with interior koi pond is really nice. The hotel is located within walking distance to shops, restaurants, and the beach; the limited interaction we had with the staff was courteous and efficient. These are the strong points, and they are very strong. However, there are some little details that just aren't quite there for a hotel charging over $300 a night. There was no morning paper, the coffee in the lobby was gone and not replenished by 10:00 am, the very small indoor pool area bordered on unhealthy. I went down there intending to swim, but the area smelled strongly of mildew. The pool had discolorations on the bottom and sides as well. I literally turned around and went back to my room. Parking is extremely limited; one time we had to wait for someone to pull out before we even had a spot unless we wanted to pay for valet service. The cable television had no complimentary movie stations. So did those elements keep us from enjoying our stay? Not at all; it was wonderful. But I might do some cross referencing of other places before spending such top dollar if it were my own money and not a gift.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
st.louis
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Stayed here one night with hubby. Awesome location, we parked the car when we checked in, they let us check in early at noon, and never got in the car again until we left the next day. We walked everywhere, lunch, dinner, marina, beach and shopping. Great lake view from the balcony that has a table and chairs. Clean and roomy suite. We were very pleased. Would stay here again. We love Lake Geneva, had a blast.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
lasalle
Reviewed November 27, 2009

my wife and I stayed there for our 30th anniv. We stayed the previous two nights in delavan. We stopped there the day before looking for a room for the next night. The staff at the front desk could not have nicer. We asked about checking in early they said to call them after 11am. we checked in about 1230 pm,which was nice. The hotel was very clean inside and out.The rooms with the lake views were perfect 2 large flat lcd tvs didnt hurt [one was 42in] We had no problem with pool in the basement, we had the whole area to our selfs and were not worried about a murderer lurking. The price was right, the staff was great, the hotel was perfect/relaxing, what more could you want?

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Darien, Illinois
Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband and I came here to celebrate our 1 year anniversary and to have a really nice getaway vacation. However, nothing at this hotel is really nice, especially if you are used to nicer hotels. The rooms are small. Our room had a misshapen purple couch that sloped downward from being old and worn, and there was a mismatched blue chair opposite the couch. The mattress was ok, but the pillows were poly filled and flat as pancakes. The towels were so rough they actually hurt your skin to dry off. The lid to the toilet seat is made of flimsy plastic so don't try to sit on it. The jacuzzi tub is only big enough for one person. The air conditioner is loud, even when it is on "low". The breakfast was sort of a joke, with tiny orange juices, and a bunch of pre-packaged preservative filled junk like dole fruit cups and plain half-sized lender's bagels. They only gave us napkins on the first day, after that no napkins. The pool was creepy and in the basement with a murial of a beach scene on the wall. My husband laughed out loud when he saw the tiny workout room. One of the front desk ladies acted like my check-in was interrupting her internet surfing activity in the office. She was not friendly. The concierge is nowhere visible, in fact, the front desk staff is never actually at the desk. For the price I thought it would be a little more upscale, but it is not. I felt cheated after checking in.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed October 5, 2009

My husband and I reserved a 1 night Saturday stay along with an 18-hole golf outing at Hawks View Golf Course. When making the reservation over the phone, the gentleman was very kind and helpful. We arrived early at the hotel before check-in to pick up our golf info. before heading to the course. The woman at the front desk couldn't have been less thrilled to see us. She was rather cold -no "hello, good to see you", or "enjoy your stay", etc. She simply gave us the golf info. and told us to come back later to check in. After golf, we arrived back at the hotel to check in. There was a different woman this time. But again, no "hello, nice to see you" or "welcome." We inquired about making dinner reservations at Gilberts (a menu was promintley displayed at the front desk). She looked at my husband and I like we were crazy. Then, she said, "well, it's very formal." We had just returned from golfing, so we had our golf clothes on and of course looked a little weary after playing 18 holes. My husband reassured the woman that "we brought other clothes, -don't worry." Then, the woman said she would call to make a reservation for us, and then apprarently changed her mind and said, "why don't you call instead...they're going to ask you a lot of questions...like I said, they're very formal." I couldn't believe the level of snobbery this woman displayed. I just kept thinking, excuse me, who are you to judge where we can and cannot eat. Furthermore, after you just pre-authorized our credit card for over $400 (1 night at hotel plus 18 holes of golf) -I think we can afford a nice dinner at Gilberts-which by the way is the same restaurant that does the hotel room service and is just on the other side of the hotel. I'm thinking...of course we are going to shower and change clothes -but why should we have to explain that to you...and even if we wanted to walk in the restaurant with our golf clothes, who cares? I wouldn't go to this hotel unless and until they get rid of the rude, snobbish, judgemental women working at the front desk. When I got up to the room (which was beautiful, clean, and with a great view of the lake)- I made that call to Gilberts and they weren't pretentious at all and they certainly didn't ask me any questions or tell me how to dress! My husband and I loved our weekend at Lake Geneva, but we will never stay at the Bella Vista again -the front desk women ruined the hotel stay for us even though everything else about the hotel was great.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple