“First time skier... left feeling like a pro!”

Mountain Top at Grand Geneva Resort
Ranked #12 of 41 things to do in Lake Geneva
More attraction details
Owner description: Resort offers skiing and snowboarding over fifteen challenging slopes plus a Halfpipe and Fun Park for all ages and skill levels.
Shorewood, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First time skier... left feeling like a pro!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Came to grand Geneva for the weekend to celebrate our first anniversary. I have been wanting to try skiing as my husband is pretty advanced. The hills are prefect for beginners. But the runs are pretty short. The first day I took a group lesson, which was enough to at least learn the semi-basics. BUT, I have to take the time to thank Rich for being a fantastic ski instructor. I did a private lesson with him on my second day ever of skiing. He made me feel very comfortable skiing by the end of my lesson. He explained and showed me how to ski in a way that made sense and had me catch on very easily. You can tell that he doesn't do the job for money, he does it for fun. By the end of my second day skiing I was already on all blue trails!! Thanks a billions Rich!!! You helped me discover a new passion in life!!

Chicago's North Shore, Illinois
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 245 helpful votes
“Hey, it's the Midwest”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

I'm not a big downhiller, but from what i've seen, the Mountain Top seems pretty typical for southern Wisconsin skiing, however, this ski hill exceeded our expectations.... The ski instructor was very good with our young boys…. The ski lodge was rustic and cozy.

I opted to X-country ski. The trails had a decent amount of terrain, but I was a bit disappointed---they were groomed for skating, but none had tracks for Nordic skiing. And some trails weren't even groomed since before a recent snowstorm…. Also, we happened to be there during "20 Dollar Tuesday", which made for some pretty big crowds… The check-in process at opening time (noon) was chaotic, to say the least…. The main desk was closed, so you had to check-in at the gift shop, thus a long line formed out the door…. I would think they would have been more organized…..or at least have the main desks staffed during the initial rush….

So, i gave it a 3 overall, but i think the hill itself and the instructors deserve a 4, but since TA doesn't allow half points, i opted to give it a 3 (the long lines were a real turn-off)... Nevertheless, it ain't a bad place to learn to ski or board....

Chicago, Illinois
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Great for all skill levels!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

I am just a beginner skier while most of the people in my group were average to advanced. I found this place perfect for a group like ours. For the people that like challenges they have 1 and 2 diamond trails. They also have an obstacle slope where I saw very talented snowboarders and skiers show their talent.

For people that have never ski, including children, or those with very little skill this place offers 3 different bunny slopes with gradual increment of difficulty among them. I off course started there. Then I moved on to one of the different 3 easy slopes that they have and it was great skiing... for me.

The place has chair lifts for the higher slopes and conveyor belt lifts for the bunny slopes. The personal was very nice and helpful. I saw many private ski and snowboard classes taking place. They all looked like good instructors. I was the most impressed with the one instructor that spent about 3 hours with a 4 year old that ended up skiing without falling on the bunny slopes by the end of the day.

If you are use to Denver, the Andes or the Alps skiing... this place will definitely not fit your bill. However, for the beginner to average skier and those who don't mind shorter slopes this is perfect... As i mentioned previously it has slopes up to 2 diamonds so you can still hurt yourself if you are looking for the thrill!!!

Vernon Hills, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
“Good skiing for the beginner.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

With little vertical, the faster runs are over in a heartbeat. But it's about as good as you're going to find in the area. Nice lodge.

Warrenville, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Little big mountain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Great ski hill that skis bigger then it's vertical drop and has something for everyone from beginner to advanced.

Visited January 2014