“Filthy”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
New York
“Filthy”
Reviewed August 25, 2009

Just returned from a three night stay at the TimberRidge in Lake Geneva. We were traveling with three children, 13,10 and 3. Not at all impressed with hotel. It is a glorified Motel 6. We found the common areas (carpets and waterpark) to be filthy. So surprised that this is considered the sister property of the Grand Geneva. Our only saving grace on this trip is that we had access to the Grand Geneva pools, fitness center, restaurants, and saunas. We would never stay at the TimberRidge again. Our rate at TimberRidge was $109 a night - run to the Grand Geneva and happily pay $189 a night. It is worth every penny.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Racine, Wi
Reviewed August 25, 2009

The grounds are beautiful. The suite was nice enough except the love seat was torn and stained in the living room area. I loved how the cleaning crew came in and cleaned the kitchen - they actually loaded and started the dishwasher. My one complaint would be that the hallway and lobby carpets are really stained. It is a turn-off. The elevator is sort of shabby as well. The water park was great for the kids!

Round Lake, Illinois
Reviewed August 22, 2009

I was in a two bedroom condo with four adults (including myself) and two small children. The property has a lot of ammenities and is very clean. My kids loved the pools and I enjoyed how close everything is to each other and indoors.

There is a semi-full kitchen, missing a stove, however, there is a microwave, range, and dishwasher. I've stayed @ Glacier Canyon Lodge in a two bedroom condo there, and that condo felt bigger. The living room and kitchen was wider. All those suites are on one floor. The Timer Ridge Lodge had a duplex design to it. Perhaps that's why it felt smaller, probably the same square footage or similar. The rooms were clean, and the cleaning staff very accomodating.

We weren't impressed with the restaurant choices in the hotel, however, do consider that you do have access to the Grand Geneva resteraunts and also some of its ammenities, the spa was nice, I fell asleep at the pool. You do need to drive there or take a bus.

One important thing about the pool, it did not have a harsh chlorine smell. I've been to two indoor water parks and I find that most of them have an overwhelming chlorine/chemically smell. When pulling up to our room, I missed the lettered door closest to the room and drove to the back of the hotel, I immediately noticed how big the venting system is, probably helped with this potential problem.

The property is about a 10 minute drive to downtown Lake Geneva, really convenient. I would certainly go back, especially if I can find a weekend deal.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank moogie14a
Chicago
Reviewed August 20, 2009

The resort is PERFECT! The staff, environment, et al makes you feel right at home in every way...prices are very reasonable...the park is just right with a good mix of young to older kids..and also some thrills for the parents or adults. We have gone back now a few times...and will continue to go back as long as they keep up the wonderful service! Would love to experience the golf of the area also...have not done that as of yet!

1 Thank BigDog13
Chicago
Reviewed August 16, 2009

We went for a 2 day/1 night stay. The lobby was ok but the minute you walk down the halls you feel like you are in a college dormitory. The carpet is dirty and stained, The elevator was dreary and dirty. It felt more like a motel than a nice hotel. The room amenities were good ie refrigerator, dishwasher, dishes, glasses and by good I mean it was nice they were there. I don't think I'd use them though. The remote control did not work. While the room accomodated a family of 4, living room and separate bedroom, it was dreary, narrow and unimpressive visually. Some wrote of nice oversized tubs, we were not as fortunate. We must have had a handcapped accessible shower only, no tub. Not even a soap holder in the shower. Shower itself seemed dirty and gross. It was unfortunate that our room was apparantly next to the dumpster where at 10:00 pm a garbage truck came to pick up the garbage. This was loud and disruptful.

As far as the waterpark, it was ok. My kids aged 6 and 3 enjoyed it. We were there the afternoon we arrived and the next morning and I found that any more time would have been boring. While it wasn't tiny, it also wasn't that big. The "swim" areas available were very small. Yes there was basketball but the area in the pool was small and couldn't accomodate many. The outside kiddie pool was good for toddlers. The outside pool for older children was long, narrow and small. What bothered me the most was how discolored the bottom of the pool and walls of the pool were. They almost had a greenish, brownish discoloration throughout the lazy river and pool which seemed to be not cleaned well at all.

The game room/arcade room was nice. The staff was nice and the games were fun for my kids. There was a nice variety of prizes to choose from. The restaurant was fair we had a great meal over at the Grand Geneva though.

Overall, my kids had a good time but I was disappointed with the upkeep and cleanliness of the hotel.

paris
Reviewed August 11, 2009

This was an affordable overnight trip that provided family fun for everyone !

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank parisfrance8
chicago, illinois
Reviewed August 9, 2009

We arrived at 1pm to get into the waterpark early on 8/3/09(Monday). When we arrived, our room were not available. We reserved two suites for 14 people over a month ago because we had family coming in from Florida.My husband has a large family.
The excuse we received from the frontdesk was the guest staying decided to stay a few days longer.We tried to argue our case, because the rooms were available on 7/31 when I called. The hotel would not budge and we had no choice because the kids saw the waterpark.
What we received in return was 4 suite rooms double occupancy( we call it one double bed with the couch as a pull out bed).Since the group was big we ask to have the rooms close to another.They did offer to connet the rooms but it was limited. Our room was connented to my mother-in law room only.(She was in room 111 and we noticed the smoke alarm in her room was disconnected. It had wires and clamps on it. I mentioned it here because it's a violation of the building code,maybe they will fix it) Just like the other two rooms were connented (with the other cousins).This was a bummer for my kids because the cousins were in the other rooms. If we had the 2 suites with the kitchens alot of this would of been avoided.
This was challenging having 4 rooms with so many people because we had food and it was hard to feed people. We thought about having the food in each of the rooms to feed the kids, but it was a joke.We decided to have the food in our frig and do the best we could.The mess was limited to our room but it felt like having family over in an apartment. We moved our suitcases to the one double room so people could sit down.

The rooms were clean with a full kitchen. I surpised to see a dishwasher.We didn't use it because we used paper plates/cups and there was no way I was washing a thing.

The couch with the pull out bed was uncomfortable. I slept out there because my daughter is tall enough to unlatch the door-hook that's up on the door and the simple lock near the door knob is a click. If that's a child-proof latch it's too low.
The day we arrived the kids wanted to got to the waterpark. So we were there for a few hours. The water was cool but the kids loved it. The kids seemed to like it alot .

The next day 8/4/09(Tuesday) most of the family slept in. My daughter,mother-in-law and I were up early so we cleaned up and went out for breakfast to let people sleep. We found a nice resturant in downtown Lake Geneva. Sorry, I can't remember the name.

I called my husband about 11:45 am and asked what kind of lunchmeat I should get for lunch at the nearby Walmart. I was driving back to the hotel. By now they would be at the waterpark swimming. Well, he went on to tell me that they were in a resturant and were just still down for breakfast. I thought it was kind of late since my son is 6 and my husband is always hungry that they would of eaten by then.
I asked why he was eating late . He said that he/ others were waiting for the trolley outside for 35-40 minutes in the heat to take them to town. He waited with his brothers and an older lady(with grandkids) many others for a trolley that never came.

He finally went in to the front desk and was told that the trolley was rented out for the day.The best is the front desk never notify/posted a sign to let people know the trolley was rented.
Eventually everyone went in the hotel resturant to get breakfast. When they walked in the waitress informed them that they were serving lunch.
My husband finally looked at the lady and said " please help me. Please feed my family. We were waiting for the trolley for over 40 minutes. We need breakfast." She was helpful and asked the cooks to save some of the morning bacon/sauage...pancakes.
The woman felt bad for all the kids that that were there. I was grateful for her accommodations.
The water park itself was nice. It was smaller then I thought which was find with me.My kids and 7 and 8 and it was good for them. Big enough for them yet small for my husband and me to chase them in. I think kids any older then 10 might find it babyish a bit. The water slide might fun for older ones.
The life guards were a problem for me. Maybe it was me but the life guards were not as attentive as life guards at other waterpark resorts.They looked young for starters. Maybe high school age. I'm used to the life guards at resorts I been to, looking college age and very observanet. Never letting their eyes leave the water.
The life guards at Timberridge look at the water but they turn their heads. They look at their toes if they are in the Life guard-chair or look at the ground walking around the pool.One example that happen to me was at the pool when you first walk in. Right when you walk in the door, there was this small pool with slides for smaller children. I had to ask a child to get off the bottom of a slide because she was sitting there. The kids were coming down and they were pushing her. She thought it was funny. She didn't get. I did.

A life guard walked by while circling the pool and walked past her. He didn't say a word to her. When he came around again, I told him to ask her to move. She going to get hurt.
He did, but I had to bring it to his attention.Scary!!
This made me more aware to watch the kids. I tell my kids not to run in the pool area. Not one life guard blew their whistle when a child ran/skipped between pools. I immediately noticed that and that made me look at the life guards closer.

Call me a nerves Nelly .. and it okay with me. All it takes is seconds.
So to close this eventful few days we were given a gift certificate of fifty dollars with our room statement under our door.This is on Wednesday 8/5 and the last day. I saw the statement on the ground and wondered are they serious? I show my mother-in-law and she said did you look at the back because she got one... I did and guess what? In the terms and conditions- offer valid midweek, Sunday-Thursday nights, June 2007-December 2008.
Ya Right !!!