“Not a good value”

Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed March 11, 2009

Me and my extended family stayed for one night at the Timber Ridge in February 2009. Our group included eight adults and five kids under the age of 8. We got 2 two-bedroom units. The rooms themselves were okay. They were on the small side. There was a whirlpool bath which was nice. Our room was on the dirty side. There was a gross stain on the carpet that we placed a towel over so as not to step in it...

The waterpark was okay. It was small and very crowded. One of the pools closed down for a few hours while we were there. The waterpark didn't open until 10 am on Sunday which I feel is too late. Little ones don't sleep until 10 so we really would have liked to get swimming sooner. The changing locker room was VERY small and not very nice.

Overall it was not a good value for our family. It was very expensive for not much in the way of rooms and service. We stayed here because of location, but I think in the future we'll make the drive to the Dells.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
beechj, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2009

Dear Recent Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time and letting us know about our shortcomings. Our team strives to exceed every guests expectations, and I apologize that we were unable to do that during your stay with us.

Please know that the carpet stain and room cleanliness will be addressed and immediately remedied.

We understand that each guest is our most valuable customer and I hope that you will give us another opportunity to regain your trust in Timber Ridge. Please reach out to me personally so I can insure that you receive the expeirence you deserve.

Regards,

Bruce Johnson
262.249.3450

Reviewed March 2, 2009

We decided quite last minute to take a one night getaway with our almost 2 year old to Timber Ridge Lodge. Just a day before our planned departure, I was able to get a decent rate (much much cheaper than the places I checked in the Dells). We arrived around 3 on Sunday afternoon, checked in and headed to the waterpark. It was quite busy, but our little guy had fun splashing around in the toddler/kiddie area. The waterpark certainly does not rival the megaresorts in the Dells, but it is adequate and most everyone seemed to be having fun. We spent about an hour and a half in the water park before heading back to the room to change and head out to dinner. Didn't eat at the resort at all, so I can't comment on that.

Overall, the room was perfect for us. Our son goes to bed around 7, so when we've spent time in hotels with him in the past it made for a long, quiet time in the room after he went to bed. With the one bedroom setup, we put his crib in the living room area and brought a dvd from home to watch in the bedroom. There was some noise from the outdoor hot tub, which is open in the winter. We were in a room that faced the outdoor pool so the hot tub wasn't far from our window. The waterpark and hot tub shutdown at 8 so it wasn't an issue after that. Didn't hear any noise from the hallway or other rooms as other people have commented on. Our room was clean but I agree with others that it could use some updating. Nothing gross or that makes the room uninhabitable, just things like old lamp shades and run down carpet. Bed was fine....not the best hotel bed I've slept on but not the worst. We were up early as we usually are in our house. Again, didn't eat breakfast at the resort but came back to the waterpark, which opened at 10. Was surprised that there were still quite a few people there on a monday morning until I figured out the many Chicago area schools were off. Only stayed at the waterpark for about 45 minutes. Wanted to change in the room before checkout at 11. Note that there are locker rooms by the water park and you are allowed to use the water park after you check out, but we wanted to be home by naptime anyways. Checked out via the phone and off we went. Overall, was very happy with our stay. It was a perfect little 45 minute drive for us from home and we enjoyed the waterpark and the room. Had no issues with the service and the waterpark, room, and hotel in general was clean considering the volume of kids that are running around. If you're looking for a quiet, romantic get away, you can do much better in Lake Geneva. If you're looking for a family getaway with good sized rooms and a fun waterpark without the longer drive to the dells (if you've coming from Milwaukee/Chicago of course), you would do well here.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Last weekend, in the middle of a coldsnap, my kids really wanted to go swimming. We've stayed at Timber Ridge Lodge before, on 2 other occasions, and thought it was okay. I went to their website, and made a reservation, I think out room rate for a 2 bedroom suite was around $300.00. I loaded up my three kids, and 2 neighbor kids and off we headed. The lobby was big and inviting, and the front desk workers were friendly and efficient. Once you got out of the main lobby area, the hallways were very musty smelling, dingy and the elevator was small, slow, smelly and dark. The carpet was nasty. Our room was on the 4th floor, and I never took the elevator again after that first time....you'd have to stand there for 10 minutes to wait for it. Our room was modest and seemed clean. We really didn't plan on spending much time in the room. The master bath had a huge tub. The kids spent the whole rest of the day and evening in the pool area. It seemed cleaned enough, and the guards seemed capable. The towels were about the size of a hand towel, and were very old appearing, and very scratchy...the kids had fun, and that's what matters. We went to dinner at the BBQ place, it was ok...nothing special. I had about a 10 inch hair in my cornbread. My waiter was very sweet, and seemed as equally mortified as I was...and immediately took the item off my bill, and was very apologetic. I actually felt embarrassed for him, he was so sincere. Stuff happens, and he took care of it. The rest of our stay was uneventful....we were disappointed that the pool didn't open until 10:00 am, and that check out was at 11am. WHATEVER! Finally, the greatest part of our trip didn't happen until after we checked out. I noticed right away that I was itching terribly....all over, but mostly on the left side of my torso. I attributed it to the chlorine in the pool. A few days later about 20 bug bites appeared all over me. Specifically in in straight line on my abdomen. It's been 9 days and I still have these "bites". They itch, and are now becoming painful. I'm finally seeing a doctor today. My husband called and spoke to the general manager, who was not helpful, or overly concerned. He put us in touch with the property owner, who stated he would have an independent someone or another come and have a look at the room. He said he'd get back to us. Some of the kids slept on the foldout couch, and some upstairs in the loft...and they were unaffected. I stay in hotels all the time, far nicer than this one, and much cheaper ones too, and I've never had anything like this happen before.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
beechj, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2009

Dear Recent Guest,

Please know that we truly value all guest feedback and hope only to improve our operations through addressing concerns and opportunities by listening to guest feedback like yours.

I am pleased to tell you that we are addressing your concerns with our hallway carpet. Timber Ridge is in the final planning stages of choosing designs and colors for new hallway carpeting to be installed within the next few months.

In addition, we do take the issue of pest control very seriously. Every investigative and precautionary step possible was taken after we talked, including bringing in an outside professional extermination team for a full examiniation. After a thorough inspection fo the entire two-bedroom unit, they indicated that there was no trace of any type of insect. This inspection has been documented and is on file.

I am hopeful that given another chance, we can regain your trust in Timber Ridge Lodge. Our team looks forward to the opportunity.

Warm Regards,

Bruce Johnson
262.249.3450

Reviewed January 16, 2009

Lake Geneva has been one of my family's nice little vacation get-aways for many years. We've stayed at the Timber Ridge Lodge before when my boys were little and enjoyed it. Now that they are getting older, ages 14, 10 & 7, the waterpark at the Timber Ridge is too small for them, but they enjoy skiing at The Mountain Top Resort, which is located behind the Grand Geneva Resort. I initially called the Grand Geneva for a reservation because I noticed, on their webpage, that they had a Family Ski Package. However, the receptionist at the Grand Geneva actually told us that the Water/Ski Package at the Timber Ridge Lodge was a better deal for my family...and it was! For a family of 5, we only paid $239.00 for the room, 4 ski lift tickets, & 40 arcade tokens! Only 4 of us wanted to ski. We had to pay 50% of the ski rentals. This is not a bad deal at all considering, just two years ago, we spent this amount of money for one day of skiing at Cascade Mountain for the five of us, which didn't even include the room! Now, if you are an avid skiier, The Mountain Top Ski Resort, may not be challenging enough for you. My two oldest sons prefer Alpine Valley, but said that the Mountain Top was just fine and they stayed out skiiing for seven hours! They are both good skiiers. And, just an FYI, the people at The Mountain Top Ski Resort were very organized and when I showed them my ID card from the Timber Ridge Lodge, they immediately knew how to charge us correctly. No problems at all! As for the condition of the Timber Ridge Lodge, it is starting to show some wear & tear, but overall it is still a great stay. The rooms are large enough for a family of five. Our fireplace worked wonderfully. My oldest son took a bath in the jacuzzi and loved it. The kitchen is nice because you can bring your own food if you prefer to save money. And, if you are staying at a resort that has a waterpark, you can expect to see loads of kids. And, since the kids are on vacation from school, they will be staying up late, for the most part. That should be expected. It is the responsibility of the parents to keep the kids quiet, not the resort staff. We loved it and plan to go back again real soon!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2009

When I made my reservation, I initially wanted to stay at the Grand Geneva Resort which is the main hotel on this property. The reservations associate (who was very nice) convinced me Timber Ridge was the better deal. So not true! This place had no one to help with luggage, there was no parking, there were millions of children (because of the water park) and the entire property seemed geared towards children.In the middle of night we heard screaming and roping children that should have been in bed. The restaurant was as big as a large closet, and the service was slow and the food mediocre. The room was very uncomfortable and very basic. The fireplace was gas and timer controlling it audibly clicked killing any nice effects. We decided to move to the Grand Geneva the second night and it was lovely. We were so happy to move. I was very disappointed that when we getting ready to check out, the Timber Ridge staff called and told us to vacate right away as they needed to clean the room. They had no interest in why we were so disappointed with our experience. Unless you have kids, and have no interest in relaxing, stay away.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2008

We have stayed at this hotel multiple times over the last 5 years.
It is great for a quick get away if you live near Chicago as we do.

The property itself is showing some signs of age, but it is still the best place to go with kids in Lake Geneva.

We called the property directly and asked for the Entertainment rate. We also asked for a 2 bedroom as these are on the top floor and by experience the quietest rooms. We saved 60 dollars per night with the Entertainment rate.

We love the beach in Lake Geneva, so if coming here before Labor day or even after if it is warm, don't forget to bring sand toys and floaties and come down to Riviera beach in town. It is very reasonably priced, and the water is very clean. There are boat rides too, or you can rent a boat or wave runner if you are more adventurous.

Timberridge resort rooms are really small condos, everything is included. Bring your own food, or stop by the Walmart and get some items for breakfast and lunch, dinner too if you desire.

We always make eggs in the morning and save a bundle doing so. You have a full sized fridge, and microwave, and cooktop, no regular oven.

Dishes, glasses and silverware are included for your use as well, also a blender, toaster and coffeemaker.

The beds were quiet comfortable in the unit we stayed in # 413.

The upstairs did get a little warm though.

Our kids enjoyed the pools, and the slides. The lifeguards were polite and professional.

We noticed that the carpeting in the halls is stained and starting to smell of mildew. Probably from all the hotel guests running up and down the halls in wet suits, for many years. It does need changing.

Give this place a try if you have not already. Don't forget the Entertainment card!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2008

This hotel is GREAT for families with small children and teenagers. Almost everything is geared towards kids. The only problem I had was the "shuttle service" they offered from the Chicago O'hare airport. They sent a limo which cost $200.00 plus an automatic 25% gratuity. Over the phone they claimed there was only one shuttle service in the area, however, on the way back to the airport I was able to find a taxi service for half the price. The number is 262-949-TAXI.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family