“Great Place For Families”

Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Place For Families”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

We stayed in a room with a full kitchen, fireplace, huge bath tub and separate bedroom. I thought the room was a great place to relax with my family after a day at the water park. It was a very family friendly hotel. There were activities to accomodate all ages.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Kevin K, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Natalie B~ Thank you for your review. I am very happy that you enjoyed the accommodations at Timber Ridge Lodge. It’s always nice to get away and relax with as a family. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. ~ Kevin

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 9, 2014

We had such a wonderful time here. The customer service was like nothing I have ever experienced. Talk about employees who know how to please the customer. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. We have visited several water parks in the Chicago and outlying area and this is my absolutely favorite - far and above the rest. I will probably only go here from now on and not bother to drive to the Dells! We only stayed one night, so I can only comment on the actual hotel and water-park, but I couldn't believe the size of the room - it was equipped with a full fridge, dishwasher, dishes, stove top, and microwave. There was an adorable kitchen bar with 4 chairs, plus a dining room table - couch, TV over the "fireplace". Our room faced the farm and my son loved seeing the horses. The balcony was awesome - very private with two chairs. The bathroom was HUGE!! My only problem with the bathroom was the tub was very high and large, so if you have issues with knees, etc. I think it would be hard to get into the tub! The bedroom had a huge closet and it's own TV as well. Plus the room was nice - it really is a 4 star hotel!
The water park was smaller and we actually spent most of our time in the outdoor pool which had a shallower area where my 7 year old could touch the bottom of the pool and practice his swimming. He really enjoyed himself here and at one point said he liked it better here than Disney World.
I was impressed with the food options at the snack shop within the water park and we ate at Smokey's for dinner. I didn't realize we had a a full kitchen though or I would have brought more of our own food. It was only $2.00 for a cup of pretty good coffee (but you have free coffee in room with a real coffee pot) and overall I thought prices were very fair.
They have a trolley that takes you around the property and we did visit the petting zoo (farm). The trolley was very nice and you can call for the trolley to pick you up when ready.
My son enjoyed the arcade and upon check-in they give you a card that has $1.00 in tokens.
Again every employee was friendly - no matter where we were which I don't often see at other places we have frequented.. Highly recommend going here and we can't wait to come back.

2 Thank FOOPSIE
FOOPSIE~ Thank you for your positive review. It means a lot to me as a General Manager to read reviews where my team is recognized for their outstanding customer service. I am very proud to work with such an amazing staff of people who truly care about our guests. I will share your comments with them. I am happy that Timber Ridge Lodge is your new favorite place to visit. I can’t wait to welcome you back again soon! ~ Kevin
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Reviewed August 8, 2014

My husband and I took our son and daughter-in-law and two young boys, aged 4 and 6, and our grandson, a college student, age 20. We had a great time! The kids AND the adults enjoyed the water park. There's fun for all ages. And, with the snack bar right there, you can spend the whole day! The 4-year old is autistic and simply didn't want to come out of the water at closing time! We had two one-bedroom suites which were clean and comfortable! The staff was friendly and very competent. (I ordered extra pillows and had them within 5 minutes!) We ate at Smokeys several times during our 5-day stay and the food was wonderful! The entire Lake Geneva area and nearby Delavan is a beautiful and relaxing place. The location of Timber Ridge is great as it is very near downtown and the lake. We did an excursion on the large boat to see the lake. We also went fishing on Lake Geneva and the catch was NOT disappointing. I recommend this place highly!

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor the last time we were there. This time we were on the third floor with...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Shirley P~ I love to read reviews from families who come to Timber Ridge Lodge to spend quality time together. It certainly sounds like you had a fabulous time. I thank you for your positive comments about the waterpark, Smokey’s restaurant, and picturesque Lake Geneva. I appreciate the recommendation and hope that you will come and visit again soon. ~ Kevin
Brillion, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 5, 2014

It was ok, but for what it costs, their one bedroom suite has a strange layout that makes it feel narrow and cramped. I felt separated from our kids in our separate bedroom. The rooms were very clean and the staff very accommodating though.

And I'm much less impressed with Lake Geneva in general - it's a very overcrowded and money grubbing little town.

Room Tip: Get a much better deal in another hotel in the area with an outdoor pool, and just go to the waterpa...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
TeranceScerine~ I am sorry to read that you were not impressed with your stay at Timber Ridge Lodge or the Lake Geneva area in general. Our suites are designed to give families the comforts of home such as a kitchen, dining room, living room and private bedroom area. Most of our guests enjoy the spaciousness of them. I am sorry you did not have the same impression. ~ Kevin

Room Tip Response: Moose Mountain Falls waterpark is only open to guests staying at Timber Ridge. We are not open to the public.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed 2 nights in a suite, which was very comfortable. The room was a little dry, but that would be my only real complaint. Lots of great amenities and the water park is great fun. Close proximity to Grand Geneva means easy dinner at the Chophouse which is phenomenal! Easy drive to downtown LG. I'd go back for more nights next time.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dpvirgilio~ Thank you for sharing of your stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. We look forward to seeing you again soon. ~ Kevin
Lake County, Illinois
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Nice hotel, fun water park, well-run prize-based games arcade, limited on-premise food. Plenty of organized activities for younger kids (under 10?), and the arcade and the water park kept our 10 and 11 year olds VERY happy.

The best part of this place is the water park. It certainly is smaller than a big Dells-type outdoor park, but for a hotel park it is spacious, very clean, and very well supervised. I was thrilled not to have to worry about the kids getting lost or into trouble. The lazy river is enjoyable for both kids and adults, the kiddie pool area had plenty of smiling toddlers, and the two large water slides (one for tubes, one for self-slide) were FAST and FUN! Tip: remove your glasses if you wear them before going on the yellow slide! There are some smaller slides for younger kids too and a 3 net water basketball area that our boys loved using. Us adults enjoyed the tables, (especially the ones with GFCI power outlets nearby!), the indoor/outdoor hot tub, and some time on the outdoor pool decks when the sun was out. They also have an concession in the pool area that had adult and kids beverages and food (pizza, hotdogs, etc.) which was nice. Lockers are available for a quarter if you want to lock up your room key/wallet/purse/etc.

We stayed three days / two nights and tried the only sit-down restaurant (Smokey's Bar-B-Que) twice: the breakfast was serviced attentively and the food was wonderful! The dinner service was abysmal - missing menus, slow service and some over cooked items. However, they were very willing to bend over backwards to try to make things right - just not sure if I would eat there other than breakfast again. The good news is that you are very close to downtown Lake Geneva, so daytime excursions into town for lake activities, shopping, and food were easy and fun additions to the weekend.

Rooms had a full refrigerator and freezer and a full sized stove along with other standard kitchen items. We used the fridge to store not only our leftovers, but cold juice and soda for the kids and half-and-half for our coffee. Speaking of coffee, although you do get a nice full-pot coffee maker in the room, the only other coffee to be found in the mornings is $2.50 for a large cup in the local hotel store. Probably not unusual for a family resort, but can be a bit of a surprise for a business traveler who expects that typically to be free in the lobby during the early morning.

TV has a HDMI input, so we tried attaching to stream NetFlix movies onto the bigger screen. The video worked fine, but the free WiFi signal was too choppy to handle streaming video. We did not try the premium WiFi service, opting instead for Nick and Cartoon Network on the free in-hotel cable :)

We did not have a chance to sample any of the other Grand Geneva resort facilities, but nevertheless had a great time and would gladly book here again.

Room Tip: Talk to their reservations desk to ensure the deal is still available, but we booked and paid in adv...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Kevin K, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
AsylumDEG~ Thank you for your detailed review. I am so happy that you had a great time during your recent stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future. ~ Kevin
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel a few hours before checkin and our rooms were not ready. After spending some time at the playground, we returned to wait in the lobby. Our rooms not ready yet. A member of the staff noticed we had three infants in our group and she pushed our room up the list and were cleaned promptly. Nice customer service by the staff.

We got two 1- bedroom suites with joining doors. The suites were clean and very spacious. The staff also brought us three pack and play cribs for our infants.

The BBQ restaurant was ok. We ordered food for pick up. All of our meals were on the cold side. The staff forgot a few items in our order but brought them to our room. When we return, we will try to sit down at the restaurant and see how that goes.

The water park was perfect. We had infants who loved splashing in the kiddie pool. The adults in our group enjoyed the water slides and lazy river. The slides were fast but not horrifying.

All in all a great stay and we will return. Oh, if you arrive early on the day of checkin, stop at the front desk and checkin early even if your rooms are not ready. They will give you your passes for the water park so you can you use it right away. There are lockers available for .50 and showers. Also, on your last day, you can use the water park after you check out. Also, you have access to all the facilities on the Grand Geneva Resort property.

Stayed August 2014
Steven R~ I was delighted to see the title of your review. I am always thrilled when I read that guests look forward to returning to Timber Ridge Lodge. I am happy that we were able to expedite your check in to get you and your toddlers into your room to relax. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. ~ Kevin