“Nice Place, Close to Home, Very Impressed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark

Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Chicago suburbs, IL
“Nice Place, Close to Home, Very Impressed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We booked this hotel on a Groupon and got a super good deal. My husband and I had previously stayed at the Grand Geneva and were super impressed. This place is on the same property but is completely geared for kids.

Room: Awesome for families. There is a kitchen and a separate bedroom area. Great if you have little ones who need their own area to go to bed for naps, early bedtimes, etc. Our kids were 10 months and 2 years old when we went. Kitchen is a luxury so you can make your own meals and have a real fridge for bottles, snacks, etc.

Pool Area: This is for indoor only since we went right after xmas and it was freezing outside! We have gone to the Dells prior and I thought this poo area was better. Not because it had more or better features, but it is smaller and contained which is better for families with babies and toddlers. It was quiet at the resort when we went to, so that was also a plus. They have 2 waterslides (one body and one tube). The tube slide is great for parents with daredevil toddlers. The 2 person tubes have an area for kids to sit in the front. Our 2 year ABSOLUTELY LOVED this big slide. The baby pool area had warmer water and a couple slides, swings, etc. Everything worked and was clean (unlike the dells). We would go back for the pool area!!

Customer Service: This is the one complaint. LACKING. The front desk people were neither helpful or overly friendly. The only reason I might notice this is because the service at Grand Geneva is STELLAR. This place needs work....I bought tickets to the Thomas show and was told I had to pick them up at the box office. When I asked the girls at the front desk what Box Office hours were, she proceeded to tell me she had no idea and I would have to HIKE back to my room (with my baby in tow) to dial 0 for service to get an answer. Mind you I was in the lobby with my baby to get a ride to the box office on the trolley. So that would have meant I'd have to walk all the way back to the room to call for an answer and then turn around a get back to the lobby. This would take likely about 20 minutes total, when she could have just simply called from the front desk. DUH!! (Or just be aware of your box office hours in the first place). They just seem to have an attitude here.

Overall: I LOVE Grand Geneva and think that Timber Ridge makes this property even better. Families with young kids will appreciate this local getaway with a great pool and convenient rooms. We liked it better than the Wisconsin Dells!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank threepooches
Tom M, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Threepooches~ Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to Timber Ridge Lodge. I appreciate your positive comments regarding the rooms and waterpark. I was happy to read you liked it better than the Dells! Please accept my sincere apology for the front desk service that you experienced while you were our guest. I have shared your comments with our Front Office Manager and she will go over your concerns with our front desk team. I cherish all feedback from our guests, as those that care to take the time to comment are showing how much they care about Timber Ridge Lodge! I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future. ~ Tom

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Let me preface this by saying we visited Kalahari the two previous winters and were hoping for something as nice but closer to home. Given that, we were disappointed in the water park. It is SMALL. There's no regular pool. The under 48-inch crowd could only use 1 of the slides. There is a pool with basketball nets and "activities" but nothing for really just playing. The baby/little kid area is great though. However, the air wasn't nearly warm enough and the towels were a joke. The room was slightly dated and missing odd supplies (we had a coffee maker but no coffee, a dishwasher but no dish detergent). There is zero soundproofing and the windows and patio door were very drafty. We heard everything at night, including a snow plow at 3 AM. We would not return, but it might be an okay experience for someone who has never visited a water park.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank ts_cs1234
ts_cs1234~ Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to Timber Ridge Lodge. Please accept my sincere apology for the frustrations that you experienced and shared in your review. Moose Mountain Falls was designed to be a smaller waterpark because we are not open to the public like the mega waterparks in the Dells are. You must be a guest of the hotel to use the waterpark. Guests of Timber Ridge Lodge are also welcome to use the facilities at the Grand Geneva Resort. Thank you for your feedback on the pool towels. We just ordered new pool towels for the waterpark last week and will be switching out the old ones for the new. The new towels are larger and softer than the old ones. Since your review we have reached out to our snow removal company and requested that they come later on the days in which we have snowfall. We truly value each and every comment, positive or negative, as it helps us to provide excellent hospitality to all of our guests. I hope you will reconsider and visit again in the future. ~ Tom
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Every year on this weekend Families from the school my 3 kids go to head up to this Waterpark so my kids finally convinced us to join in on the fun and that is exactly what this place turned out to be! There was about 60 rooms for our group so there was a great room rate I think it was 130 dollars. The room was clean and huge! The waterpark was large and comfortable our group was able to get enough tables while the kids swam in the lazy river and slides, Multiple Lifeguards available! Just a great atmosphere! I brought the kids skiing the next day which is right on their property just a short shuttle ride away, What a Blast! I should also mention there is a Wal Mart 5 minutes away to get supplies because the rooms have fridges and kitchens! I am looking forward to going on this outing every year until our kids graduate from this school!

• 5 of 5 stars
Soxfan46~ Thank you for sharing your many positive comments about your first stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. It is music to our ears to hear that you will be coming for many years to come. We love it when our guests enjoy themselves so much that they bring their friends with them the next time they visit. I am glad you were able to ski and swim during your weekend getaway. We look forward to seeing you again next year. ~ Tom
Berkeley, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I went last weekend with our son, daughter in law and 2 grandsons, age 3 and 4 months. They had visited in December and really loved it. We rented a 2 bedroom suite which worked well for us. Yes, as some people mentioned, it was slightly dated. The unit (437) could use some TLC. The dishwasher wasn't mounted to the counter top so it would fall out if opened too far and the drawers on the dresser in the loft wouldn't shut. Not huge issues. The kitchen was well equipped with just about anything you could need. The housekeeping staff was very efficient, even unloading the dishwasher for us.

The waterpark itself is really nice. The staff was very focused on keeping a watchful eye on all the children-not an easy task. The water was warm and the temperature in the park itself was very comfortable. We ate at the Hungry Moose in the park. Good pizza and salads. Great drinks and reasonably priced. We had dinner one night at Smokey's. The food was pretty good but service exceeded our expectations. Another night we ordered pizza from Gino's East that was delivered promptly.

We really enjoyed this short trip and I'm sure our family will go again.

1 Thank Ellen H
Ellen H~ Thank you very much for sharing such kind words about the staff, the hotel, and our onsite restaurants. All of our staff members, from the housekeepers to the lifeguards, work very hard to provide the best hospitality in Lake Geneva! I will let our servers in Smokey’s know that they exceeded your expectations. They will be delighted to hear that. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon! ~ Tom
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We made an impromptu trip to Timber Ridge in December. OMG we loved it!! Some of the highlights of our stay were: there was a mailbox for Santa. My son wrote a letter and, shortly after returning home, received a reply (nice touch.) Every employee we encountered was professional, efficient and had a genuine smile. I appreciated the staff who promptly corrected an overly loud neighbor. The problem was resolved in just a few minutes- excellent service. Waterpark was clean and fun and not jam packed. Also, the big log play structure in the waterpark did NOT have water spraying/dumping on kids faces/heads. Thank you SO MUCH for that because my kids despise water in the face. The Christmas decorations were fabulous. And finally the room was perfect with a kitchen, fireplace and large whirlpool tub. We did not want to leave! We are definitely coming back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JessieA10
JessieA10~ Thank you for the many kind words you shared about your recent stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. It is a pleasure to read such positive comments about the resort and our amazing staff. I will be sharing your comments with all of them! I am happy you will return again in the future. ~ Tom
Franklin, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We got to the resort around 10:30 a.m. on Friday morning and was able to check in right away. Stayed in a two bedroom suite and it was perfect for us. We had four adults and a 17 month old in our party. The food at Smokeys was great. We ate one dinner there and one breakfast. We had two lunches at the cafeteria style restaurant off the water park and that food was amazingly good. Enjoyed the water park. Will definitely go back. Staff was friendly. Good experience.

1 Thank Jodster57
Jodster57~ Thank you for the kind words regarding your recent stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our two onsite restaurants and the waterpark. I am sure your 17 month old had a great time! I will share your kind comments with our staff. I look forward to welcoming your family back again soon. ~ Tom
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed in a two bedroom unit over the Christmas holiday. We had a great experience, our boys ages 6 & 4 loved the large room and waterpark. Rooms were were clean and we enjoyed the fireplace. Took the free trolly to tour the property and visit the Grand Geneva, a lovely hotel as well. We will definitely be back.

• 4 of 5 stars
tmoch~ I was glad to read your review of your recent stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. I appreciate your recognizing the large space in your two bedroom suite, basically an apartment with the kitchen, living room, dining area, two bedrooms and two bathrooms. I am glad you had the opportunity to take the trolley to experience the entire resort complex. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon! ~ Tom