“Nice stay!”

Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My family (wife and two daughters, 7 and 5) and I just got back from Timber Ridge over Mother's Day weekend. It was the first time we stayed at Timber Ridge but not the first in Lake Geneva. Overall, I would say it was a very nice stay, and a good value when compared with other resorts in the area with indoor water parks.

We arrived right at 1 PM, which is when Timber Ridge lets you start to use the water park if checking in that day. To our surprise, the front desk not only gave us wristbands but also let us check into our room (4 PM is normal check-in time)! That was a big plus to start out.

Our room was great (all rooms there are suites). We opted for the one bedroom suite (the least expensive), which includes the separate bedroom, pull-out sofa, a small kitchen, fireplace, balcony, and 2-person whirlpool tub. I felt that the rate we paid for the room was very reasonable - not only less expensive than the base rooms at other indoor water parks in the area (e.g. Key Lime Cove), but also you get a lot more in the room.

After checking in, we went right to the indoor water park. The indoor water park is on the smaller side (when compared to Key Lime Cove or others in the Dells): there is a toddler/small kids area right in the front, an activity pool with basketball hoops and lily pads right behind it, a lazy river, two big slides (one tube and one body), and that's about it. The park was plenty big enough for all of us to have fun, though. (There's an outdoor section, too, which we didn't use because it was too cold.)

Parents with toddlers and/or kids who cannot swim: before you go in, I have to give you a heads-up: immediately adjacent and behind the toddler/small kids area are stairs to go to a larger (yellow) slide that goes into the activity pool (4-5 feet deep). Within 5 minutes of arriving, our 5 year old who had been playing in that area (and who can't swim well) ventured up those stairs, out of sight, and down that yellow slide. For a few seconds, my wife and I weren't sure where she went and then...we heard two loud whistles indicating that a lifeguard had to pull someone out of the water.

Ugh. Needless to say, we found out first-hand that the lifeguard staff is very professional (and friendly).

While I definitely take responsibility for losing sight of my child (which seemed like it was for less than a split second), I think the layout of the water park itself could (and should) be tweaked a little to better segregate the toddler/small kids area from the activity pool and prevent something like this from happening. That probably wasn't the first time something like that happened, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

One other heads-up: the particular cocktail of pool sanitizer they are using (chlorine? bromine?) is *really* strong. There were several people walking around the water park with noticeably red skin, and when I showered afterward, my skin stung like I had a pretty good sunburn.

We didn't eat at the restaurants, as we knew we had a kitchen in our room beforehand and brought some food with us. We did get Gino's East pizza delivered for dinner, though. :-)

Anyway, we did end up having a good time at Timber Ridge, and will definitely consider staying here again the next time we head up to Lake Geneva for a weekend.

Room Tip: First floor for easiest access to water park!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jason_r_smith
Gerald R, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

jason_r_smith~ Thank you for the kind words regarding your recent stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. It was a pleasure to read that your very first stay with us was during Mother’s Day Weekend. I will share your concerns regarding the layout of the waterpark with my aquatics team. I am relieved to know that everything ended well with your 5 year old daughter. Our lifeguards take their job very seriously and our guests’ safety is always our top priority. I will share your positive comments with them. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. ~ Gerald

Write a ReviewReviews (1,276)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have been here a couple times and always enjoy this place as a great place to spend time as a family and with other families. Rooms are very comfortable and more like a condo then a hotel. Staff is friendly and waterpark is great for younger kids.

Room Tip: if you are staying with others call the morning of your stay to remind them to have rooms together...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Gerald R, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Avannice ~ Thank you for your great review of Timber Ridge Lodge. I always appreciate hearing feedback from repeat guests. I am happy that your stays are always enjoyable. I will share your positive comments with my staff. Please come back and visit us again soon! ~ Gerald

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My 11 year old son LOVED staying here. And so did the adults! The rooms were AWESOME & the restaurant, Smokey's BBQ, was delicious for breakfast & dinner!
The water park is AMAZING & the arcade was fun too! We'll definitely be back!!
Thanks Timber Ridge!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite (it's 2 levels!) VERY COOL!!
1  Thank Tina K
Gerald R, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Tina K ~ Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Timber Ridge Lodge. I am happy to hear that you were pleased not only with the accommodations but with our restaurant, waterpark and arcade as well. It is always such a pleasure to hear that families came to Timber Ridge and enjoyed fun quality time together. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon! ~ Gerald

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I decided to get away for a few nights for our anniversary somewhere close to home. We have been to Lake Geneva before but never stayed. We thought it would be fun to stay at Timber Ridge and we were right!! What a nice place! We stayed in a one bedroom suite. The room was very nice and clean!! The tub alone is worth it!!!! I liked having the full kitchen because we were able to make our own breakfasts! We were able to use the Well spa that is part of Grand Geneva and the spa is AWESOME!! We stayed from Sunday to Wednesday so the park was pretty empty so we practically had the place to ourselves!! We will definitely be back!! Thanks!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Sharon C ~ Happy Anniversary! I am so happy you chose Timber Ridge Lodge for your celebration getaway. Timber Ridge is an excellent destination for couples as well as families. I will agree that our spa is AWESOME as well as the two person Jacuzzi tubs in our suites. It certainly sounds like you and your husband enjoyed your first time stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. ~ Gerald

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We were looking for a place to get away for a couple of days and just spend together... We found an affordable and clean and nice place at Timber Ridge Lodge. We loved that our room had a full size fridge and stove so we could eat in and just spend time reading and relaxing. It was fun to sit by the fire and read or soak in the Jacuzzi hot tub!

Room Tip: My tip would be to call ahead and plan on getting a massage or using the gym facilities at the Genev...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

KristiPowers~ Thank you for your review. I really appreciate you pointing out that Timber Ridge Lodge is not just for families. We have many amenities for couples as well. Our units have fireplaces and a two person Jacuzzi tub in them. We also have many fabulous restaurants on property as well as a full service spa. I am happy you were able to relax and enjoy your getaway. I hope you can come back again soon. ~ Gerald

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have been going to the Grand Geneva for as long as I can remember. Now that we have a 1 year old daughter we figured might as well check out Timber Ridge. I will start off by stating this is far from Wisconsin Dells water park size.
We stayed April 19th - 21st and got a 1 bedroom suite. We travel a lot in general and having a "full" kitchen is always nice. I shopped at Walmart beforehand to grab quickie breakfast items.The only downside to the room is the shower was in the jacuzzi tub. If you took a wrong step back in the tub (due to the tub having built in seating) you could easily trip and fall. The room was very clean and housekeeping did a great job.
Now for the water park. They cram a lot of people and children into a small space. The area for toddlers was hard to walk and they have 3 (yes 3) slides feeding into the middle of the pool. We tried to keep our daughter in the entrance of the pool where they had small fountains and the swing area. We brought our daughter's toddler raft and decided to try the lazy river. The lazy river was great but cramped again.
We dined at Smokey's BBQ one night and the food was great as was the customer service.
Again my husband and I travel a lot (this gal is a frequent Orlando visitor) and this water park is very small. I don't feel the $400 + we spent on the weekend was well worth what the water park had to offer.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Gerald R, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

NikkiChiTown ~ Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. Many would agree that our waterpark is geared towards younger children, which is a benefit to those families who feel comfortable in a smaller environment. Also, we are not open to the public like a lot of other hotel waterparks are. I appreciate your positive comments regarding our housekeeping staff and Smokey’s Bar-B-Que restaurant. I will share your comments with my staff. ~ Gerald

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Our initial impression of the water park was that it is a bit smaller than the waterpark in Gurnee. However, the service and cleanliness here is hands down far superior. That alone made it worthwhile. Our 3 and 4 years old kiddies had a blast as many of the other little kiddies present at the lodge. i also admit that the made to order pizza from the fast food joint in the waterpark was prepped and baked pretty fast and was very tasty. Thanks for the great time and hopefully we'll be returning in the fall!

Room Tip: If you can get a room on the street level that would be great. Especially if you take a lot of stuf...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Moises M ~ Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Timber Ridge experience on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your comments regarding the cleanliness of our waterpark. Thank you again for choosing Timber Ridge Lodge. We will see you in the fall! ~ Gerald