“A haven for kids”

Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My 9 year-old and 4 year-old boys and I stayed here on January 25-26 for a mini-vacation. We stayed in a 1-bedroom pool-view suite on the second floor. The room is well-equipped with a full kitchen. I brought some items to cook for breakfast in the morning. The bathroom is nice with a two-seater whirlpool tub/shower. There is a separate bedroom off of the living room with a comfortable king-sized bed. The living room has a sleeper sofa which the boys shared.

Your room key is required to be inserted into a switch near the front door in order for the heater/air conditioner to operate. This is a simple solution to ensure that energy isn't being wasted heating or cooling empty rooms. I like it when hotels conserve energy.

As I write this review, the children in the room above us are running a marathon in their rooms and I can hear every step. I can also hear voices of children screaming in the room next to ours so apparently, there isn't much in terms of sound isolation between floors or walls. It's important to note that this is a place for kids and so it's going to be loud. Don't expect a quiet weekend when you stay here. Bring earplugs and/or a good attitude if you intend on trying to sleep at all.

We started our little man-cation in the game room. Instead of dealing with quarters or tokens, the games use game cards which you can reload with cash or credit cards. As many of the games earn you points which can be cashed in for toys in the game room, the cards also automatically keep track of the points earned so you don't need to hold on to endless streams of tickets. Nice! There are a wide variety of games which appealed to both the 9 year old and the 4 year old.

After gaming, we went to Smokey's BBQ House. The view overlooks the indoor water park. Unfortunately, they don't serve pizza in the restaurant itself, but will deliver pizza to the room. We ordered our dinner there and had it delivered to the room. Preparation and delivery took less than 20 minutes. The food was good and the prices reasonable. A large pizza, shrimp skewer appetizer, steak sandwich with fries, and drinks cost about $48.

The water park area is well equipped with several water slides of various sizes for kids of all ages. There is an area for younger children, a lazy river (Canyon River), hot tubs, and an activity area for children ages 7-10. It is very clean and the lifeguards are very friendly and attentive.

The staff I had encountered in the game room, restaurant, front desk and water park areas were all very attentive, friendly and accommodating. Our stay was very pleasant and the kids and I had a lovely time together. I would definitely come back again!

Room Tip: Bring extra blankets or sleeping bags. The hideaway bed's mattress doesn't have much in ter...
1  Thank djohn409
Leslie J, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

djohn409~Thank you for sharing your experience at Timber Ridge Lodge. I am happy that you enjoyed your “man-cation” with your boys. I would like to apologize for the noise issues you encountered during your stay. We do have quiet times posted in our hallways that we request our guests to observe. I am very pleased to read that you will come and visit us again. Since you live close by I hope you have signed up for our email blasts so that you are aware of special rates/packages. Regards, Leslie

There are newer reviews for Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark

Reviewed January 24, 2013

My first impression of timber ridge was good. It was the interaction I had on the phone with the representative helping me with reservations. I had mentioned that we were regular blue harbor resort visitors but wanted to try timber ridge for the first time. She was courteous, patient, and helpful.
Unfortunately, when we checked in at 5pm on January 2nd, our room wasn't ready... And wouldn't be ready for at least an hour. After a full day of skiing at Wilmot, what we didn't need was a delay in taking off our winter clothes and relaxing in the room. No explanation was given. No apology. No voucher. The two ladies at the desk were very nice about it, but it was still inexcusable. After speaking with the manager, I learned that they were short staffed and even managers were helping with room prep. That made me feel a bit better.

When we did check in, the room was quite nice. We had selected the one-bedroom suite and it was spacious and well equipped. I especially liked the kitchen. Full fridge, stove, microwave, toaster, etc. extra blankets and pillows? No problem. Delivered. Overall, great. Next time, we're bringing groceries - eggs, milk, cereal. You can even order ahead and have groceries delivered and waiting when you get there.

We thought we would check out the waterpark before bed.
As soon as we walked in, I smelled an overwhelming scent of natural gas. Nausea set in. Not a good first impression. I asked about it and was told it only happened when the heater kicked in. Unfortunately, from my experience during our stay, the heater was kicking in pretty often. After a few minutes at the water park, we didn't notice it anymore. My wife and I found a table (barely) and sent the boys out to explore. They came back a few minutes later - still dry - claiming they couldn't find any intertubes. They wanted to go on the lazy river (their favorite) but could not. To describe their expressions as dejected wouldn't do it justice. We left. It was so bad that people were carrying them around with them - taking them to their tables - just so that they wouldn't be without one.
At 9:00 the next morning, we came back when the park opened and found intertubes. Of course, they were all stacked on an island in the middle of the lazy river - piled high... Making it difficult for the boys to reach and retrieve. About one in four intertubes were short on air. Why would that ever be? Are there holes in them (repair or replace)? Do they just need more air (why wasnt this taken care of overnight)? During our stay, I saw a few dads sitting by the side blowing air into these huge double intertubes. I found myself doing it as well when it was the only option.
The waterpark itself is nice. It's clean. The lazy river is the best we've seen (and we've seen a bunch). Unfortunately, the life guards could have been better. Comparing it to blue harbor, the lifeguards at timber ridge are too few and not nearly as attentive. The one at the pool is too busy chasing balls to watch the pool. The ones at the top of the slides are too busy flirting and chatting that they don't bother watching the guests and just sort of nod to you to go. This happened three times - each with a different guy chatting it up with a different girl instead of paying attention. The only time it didn't happen was when there were two female guards up there. This shouldn't be viewed as an overall condemnation of the entire guard staff, but improvements can be made and the number of guards increased. At blue harbor, there's someone patrolling the entire lazy river - doing nothing but looking for trouble. Here, not so much.
The slides themselves are great. The green intertube slide is relatively gentle and good for nearly all ages. The yellow enclosed one is one of the fastest darkest slides I've been on. Terrific. In fact, I couldn't even convince my boys to try it. I'm working on it.
As usual, the hot-tub was a hit - especially the shared outdoor-indoor aspect of it. It was 30 degree out- which made it a huge hit with the boys. Of course, when we went out there, all I saw was a bunch of kids - all about 8 - without an adult - some out of the water. They were playing on the ice, seeing how long they could stay out of the water, and then jumping into the hot tub. So much for the "adult needed if under 16" sign. There was no lifeguard anywhere near the hot tub, so the sign seems more like a CYA (cover your butt) sign than anything helpful. Yes, their parents should have been more attentive as well.
We stopped by the arcade one afternoon and had a good time. Usual games... Highlighted by air-hockey. Tokens stored on magnetic stripped cards. Nice. The boys each walked away after about an hour or so with candy and little games. The guys working there were nice and helpful. Who knew the arcade would be such a hit? Pleasant surprise.
I thought the boys would be into art, but I couldn't bring myself to pay $10 each for them to make necklaces with beads that probably cost about 40 cents to buy. We were better off in the arcade. It seems like it would be a small price for Timber Ridge to pay for filling in some time for the kids.

We checked out the BBQ place (Smokey's) for breakfast. Usual fare - decent food, reasonable prices. There are better places in Lake Geneva, but considering the overall good quality and the irrefutable convenience, I'd recommend it. Lunch/Dinner is likely better than breakfast.

Overall, the trip was nice and the kids had a good time, which is really the most important.

Room Tip: The one-bedroom suite worked well for us - a family of five. A roll-away bed helped a lot.
1  Thank ultane

ultane~ I would like to thank you for your detailed review of Timber Ridge Lodge. I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your comments with my staff on some of the opportunities described in your review as areas we can improve on. We hope that you will come back and stay with us again in the future. Regards, Leslie

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a party of two adults and 5 small children under the age of 10. Waterpark is nice, but will not be the type of park you can hang out at for the entire day. Two fun (enough) slides for my 8 and 10 year old, lazy river, pool, and a few kiddie slides. Loved the organized kids' activities and the fact they let the kids win tokens for the arcade. My children loved it. They said it was their favorite hotel with a waterpark. Hotel rooms were nice. We stayed in the family suite with a loft and a king bed bedroom. Heating system was impossible to figure out, and we ended up having freezing cold air blow on us all night. We set the temp. at 70, woke up and it was 63. Brr. Kitchenette did not have an oven, only cooktop and microwave. Would definitely stay again. Oh, one more thing....we went on an incredibly busy day, and found there was a major shortage of towels and rafts. We worked around it and the staff was incredibly nice.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

stephanie p~ Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am glad that your family enjoyed the waterpark, arcade and activities that we have to offer on property. I was delighted to read that Timber Ridge Lodge is your children’s favorite waterpark hotel. I will address the heating issues with my engineering team. I do hope you will come and visit again soon. Please sign up for our email blasts so that you are informed on our special promotions/rates. Regards, Leslie

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We went up to Timber Ridge with our 4 young kids and stayed for a night just as a quick getaway. We called ahead and asked to check-in early, which they agreed to. Here are some general comments about everything:

Service:

While the service was excellent overall, for some reason the interaction with the front-desk (supervisor I think) was kind of off-putting to me. She was the first person we spoke with when we walked in and just didn't come across as very friendly. Just handed us our keys, briefly explained everything, and off we went. The next day was Saturday (19th of Jan) and I walked by the front desk in the morning to check on the check-out time. I asked if it was possible to check out a bit later and she said (before I finished) "11:30 is the latest cause we're booked". And as I was walking away she said something to a co-worker like "Everyone has been asking so I just tell them 11:30 is it". Maybe not a big deal to some, but it was kind of the impersonal way of communicating something. That was actually the same lady that we checked in with. But besides her, everyone else was great....the lifeguards are VERY attentive and you can tell that their boss has trained them well. Restaurant service also very good.

Pool: Like others have mentioned, there is a tube slide and an individual slide. Since I had kids with me, we stayed with the tube slide and it was a lot of fun. Overall, it's a great park for younger kids, not sure about older kids though. One suggestion for the park is to carry more tubes that have the seat as opposed to the opening. There was a big time shortage on those and it seemed like that's what everyone looks for. Another thing is the tempature of the pool/room. We were there Friday and it's EXTREMELY warm at times. I think someone must've complained because they started pumping cold water into the pool. I guess better than the alternative, but still.

Rooms: We had a 2 bedroom and I would describe the room as probably just ok. We had 3 problems with the room. Kitchen light out, fireplace didn't work (or timer didn't work actually), and a very drafty back door. They fixed the first problem, but didn't address the last 2. Not a huge deal, but still downgrades the experience.

Overall, I would only go if you happen to get a really good deal and can go during an off-week. Over this particular weekend, I can see it getting way too crowded to be a great time.

2  Thank Neverlandpirate
Leslie J, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Neverlandpirate~ Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Timber Ridge Lodge. I am so sorry for the poor first impression you were given at our front desk. I will be speaking with my team to ensure this does not reoccur. Also, I will address the issues you had in your room with my engineering team to ensure that they are resolved. I apologize that they were not taken care of while you were our guest. I hope you have signed up for our email blasts so that you are informed when we are running special rates/packages. I sincerely hope that you will return to Timber Ridge Lodge in the future. ~ Leslie

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Me and my wife stayed here for a day to ski at the wilmot montain. After a long day of skiing this was a great way to relax. The water park was a great. It's perfect for a couple with little kids to enjoy and also for yound couples. We enjoyed our stay alot!!!

• Stayed: December 2012

ridi1987~Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. I hope that you will come back and visit again soon! Regards, Leslie

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Timber Ridge is an EXCELLENT facility! From the full-service water park to the fireplace in your room...it has it all. The staff is magnificent. They work hard to make you feel at home. I had stayed the the Grand Geneva before and this was my first time on the other side of the resort at Timber Ridge. I think I prefer it. The trolley takes you to and from the main lodge and the driver was also friendly. It is a very family-friendly, professional, clean and fun environment. Whether you're single or have a family, you'll definitely enjoy it. After checking out the water park, I realized I made a BIG mistake by not bringing the whole family. They would've loved it. Next time I MUST remember to bring the swimsuit! Give this place a try! I heartily recommend it.

Room Tip: Any room is great! The fireplace has a timer on it, too, for convenience and safety's sake. I...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Leslie J, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

BobbyT2013~ Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Timber Ridge. I am delighted that we were able to meet and hopefully exceed your expectations. I will share your comments with my staff. What a pleasure to hear that we made you feel at home. We hope you will visit again soon with the whole family. Please sign up for our email blasts so that you know when we are running special offers on our room rates. Regards, Leslie

Reviewed January 15, 2013

If you are looking for friendly staff and a nice atmosphere, then is a stop to add to your list. We recently stayed here with the kids and enjoyed oursleves very much. I recommend this place to everyone, even if you live only ten minutes away like we do.

Room Tip: The suite is the best deal to get!!
1  Thank Tony K

Tony K~ Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. I really appreciate the high recommendation. Since you are so close to the resort I hope you will sign up for our email blasts so that when we have special rates/packages available you can come back and enjoy all that we have to offer our guests. Regards~ Leslie