“not recommended”

Ranked #10 of 11 Lake Geneva B&B and Inns
Grayslake, Illinois
“not recommended”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

It was the only place with a vacancy left for the weekend and now i understand why. I stayed with my family and the first thing we noticed was the terrible smell when we walked into the room. The room was dirty, the pool and is not what i call a resort at all. The only good thing is that it is very close to town but if you spend a little more you probably would have a nicer stay. I also believe it was extremely overpriced for an out dated room with no internet services at all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank s s

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Gurnee, Illinois
Reviewed July 3, 2013

3 perfect words to describe this place: what the heck!!!>:/

These are our top 10 worst things about our experience at the Westley "Inn and Resort".

1. It took them 10 minutes just to acknowledge the fact that we were there. Finally a 15 year old kid came to check us in.

2. We opened the room and it smelled like moldy carpets and cigarettes. We had to light multiple scented candles to even bare the smell.

3. There was no remote for the 1980's TV which only had 7 channels when half of them didn't even work. The lady came into our room to get us a remote in her age inappropriate bathing suit. The remote ended up not working and she never gave us one for the whole weekend.

4. There was only one coffee pouch and the coffee maker had a giant scissor bug in it. By the way the coffee sucked.

5. The shower drain was clogged and there was no shampoo or conditioner. The housekeeping was bad and they only made the bed ( not washed ) and 2 more clean towels for a family of 4.

6. We went to go checkout the pool and there was garbage all over the tables and the pool looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a week or 2. There was bugs all over. It was disgusting!

7. Nobody was there at checkout time. The sign said, " We will be back at 9:00 am" ( It was 9:45.)
Honestly, I think they just avoid checkout purposely so they don't have to hear the complaints. We had to put our key in the mailbox by the house.

8. We got charged $200.00 a night for this horrible place! That's ridiculous!!

9. We had finally left, happy get out of there and headed back to our town. We got to our house and unpacked our stuff and a cockroach from the hotel was in the trunk! EW!!

10th and final thing to be aware of is...

10. THIS IS NOT A RESORT OR EVEN A HOTEL, IT'S A VERY CHEAP BUT OVER PRICED, TRASHY MOTEL. DO NOT GO BY THE PICTURES! IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THEM!!

WARNING: DO NOT STAY HERE UNLESS U WANT TO SLEEP IN A SMELLY, TRASHY, LOW QUALITY, DISGUSTING, BUG INFESTED DUMP!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Jose Q

Travelers are raving about these Lake Geneva hotels

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This place is run down and unsafe
The pillars holding up the roof are not anchored, if you lean on them they slide.
The electrical wire from supplying the "resort" hangs so low across the yard a toddler can reach up and grab it.
Our room was next to a tattoo parlor.
The sheets in the bed smelled unwashed, there were a lot of bugs in the room and towels were never changed or washed.
all this cost $200/night. NOT WORTH IT.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank wisconsin3348
kenosha
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I have stayed at this place 6 times now in the past 3 1/2 years. I guess I would have never come if I had read some of these reviews. I don't know what these people are talking about. I have stayed in about 4 different rooms and they've all been fine. Not fancy or extremely modern, though. A few of the rooms i was in had brand new beds and new carpet. I think that improvementss are being made every year? I have talked to the manager a couple times and she is so, so nice and accomodating. the pool is beautiful and really, really BIG big. It is surrounded by trees and is not near the road like most of the motels on the street. The place has a laid back atmosphere and is pretty casual. It is NOT for stuck-up snobby people (which sounds like some of the reviews are from). I reccomend this place if you are not a high-maintence person.

Room Tip: The "cabins" are cute but very, very tiny. The rooms on the side of the big building are t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We were booked into this hotel last weekend for Friday and Saturday night, we left on Saturday morning absolutely disgusted at this "Inn and Resort.". For $180 a night, we were basically staying in a cheap, dirty and uncomfortable motel. We had many grievances, however, here are our top 5!

1. This is no Inn and Resort. Trust me, its a cheap Motel, nothing more. There are no in Room amenities such as a coffee maker and the TV has 2, yes, 2 channels......

2. The first room we were put in reeked of cigarettes, the AC didnt work, there was a cigarrete burn in the comforter and one of the bathroom lights was held down with tape because it didn't work. We also were right on the road with a cheap door and a lock we didn't trust.

3. We were put in another room, this one was just as bad! It had a cheap, smelly bed, the ac sounded like a truck and there was no COLD water in the shower. It was basically a very cheap, and dirty little motel room with no sense of being comfortable or safe. However, here is the best thing: There was a blood stain on one of the towels!

4. The POOL! WOW, the POOL is green, no one in their right mind would consider jumping in this pool. I saw two 10 year old girls run to the pool and then run screaming back to their mother after seeing the water.

5. Oh, yes, there is never anyone at reception, you actually have to call them and ask them to come to reception.

Overall, this is a cheap, dirty, run down road motel, except it costs over $150 a night! I would NEVER consider going anywhere near this place again. Anyone who writes a positive review of this cesspit is either an employee or is one of the owners........We want our money back in full.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ollie10s
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I enjoyed their pool area but we stayed in one of the cabins if you will. It is the size of a king size bed. There's no room in there, and not to mention it was so hot but it was 95 degrees outside. The air conditioner wasn't working properly. It took me almost 20 minutes to check in since no one was coming and I took my phone out and called them while I was standing at the front desk then someone came, but if I didn't do that I wonder how long I would have been there. I was scared to sleep there, when I left to go to a concert I came back and the bathroom window was wide open. It was like a horror movie, it's not what I'm used to and I won't be returning.

Room Tip: maybe try the hotel not the individual cabins.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jill R
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Ok so here we are! Its roughly 85 -90 degrees outside and the room is about 80 with the pos ac unit runnig full bore and a special fan that we requested to help circulate the hot air... The first room we tried was a "cabin" which is literally a shed... Im not joking the cieling in the "cabin" was "osb particle board". If ur un sure of what that is its the absolute cheapest ply wood money can buy. Plus as you may assume it smelled horrible kinda like a shed! So we asked to be put into the upgraded room which is nicer then the shed! Cob webs and bugs in every corner and a stale disgusting smell all for the " discounted price" of 120$. Id rather sleep in my car. This place is honestly a pathetic excuse for a bed and breakfast and frankly the owner should be ashamed. Never again. Just killed another bug as i crawled on me while lying in this nasty bed

• Stayed July 2012