“Will Not Disappoint, Will be Back!”
Review of Bistro 220 - CLOSED

Bistro 220
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was looking for the perfect place that would fill my desire for something unique and my husband's need for great fish. This place has a lot of charm. Thankfully, our table on the porch was warmed enough in 20 degree March weather. I got the tuna steak and he got the sea bass. My husband ranked both dishes equally but I must say, the Tuna steak was the PERFECT meal for me with slight spice and hearty taste all with high sushi quality. We also got the goat cheese and salmon cakes. If you call and they ask if the bar seating is ok say yes because it's all so charming inside! My husband and I needed the charm and warmth as well as our amazing meal to spark up our marriage.

1  Thank Kristin A
There are newer reviews for Bistro 220

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Love the atmosphere! Love the food! Staff was very accommodating and nice. We ate at the bar and had a lovely evening.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

A wonderfully different little restaurant. Beautifully decorated to mimic an italian bistro. The rooms are small - one with a fountain, and one with a fireplace. The menu is varied, with excellent food and great prices. The bar features drinks made with high end sake and are very imaginative. An all around terrific experience.

1  Thank Pamela W
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was our first time dining at Bistro 220. We had heard mixed reviews, especially from locals. Some loved it, some thought it was over-hyped and pricey. Valentine's Day seemed like a good excuse to see for ourselves. My wife had seen that they had a special menu for the occasion and was excited by the options. She had made a reservation for us for dinner more than a week ahead of the day.

We arrived at the appointed time and after ascending the stairs to the second-floor restaurant (two shops are on the ground level) and standing a few moments in the entryway without being greeted or our presence even acknowledged, we were finally asked if we had a reservation (no “Welcome” first), said yes, and the greeter looked at the reservation sheet without any hint as to whether she actually saw our name on the list or not. She told us to wait, then came back and told us there'd be about a 15-minute delay and we could wait at the bar. No apology or "sorry, we're running late."

When we took our seats at the bar, my wife was handed a rose (nice touch!), but without even a "Happy Valentine's Day" greeting...more like "Here ya go." It took perhaps 3 or 4 minutes after being seated at the bar before we were able to get the bartender's attention; if it had been busy, that would be one thing, but the attention seemed to be focused more on behind-the-bar activities than looking for and tending to the newly-arrived customers (we were the only new ones). Anyway, as neither of us drink, we each settled for bottled water and bided our time checking out the eclectic decor.

About 20 minutes or so later, we were told our table was ready and were finally going to be escorted to our table. But before we could exit the bar area we were told we needed to settle things up there first; apparently the notion of running one single check from the bar to the restaurant for the convenience of the customer, rather than the convenience of the business, had somehow not caught on here. So it goes. Anyway, by the time we were ready to order, virtually all the specials for Valentine's Day were unavailable. (I recall hearing Gordon Ramsay on more than one occasion on his shows reminding restauranteurs that they should never, ever, run out of their specials; that's why people come and the restaurant better have them.) As a result, I wound up having a grilled pork chop ($18) while my wife ordered the salmon stuffed with crabmeat and brie. The salmon was highly recommended by our bartender, our waiter and also a customer we had talked to while waiting at the bar who had just had that dish.

The soup that came with the dinners, a tomato-basil, was OK, but certainly not great. Seemed as if there were actually too many flavors at work in it, including parmesan cheese and pepper which seemed to dominate just a bit. The dinner rolls (2) were average and a bit on the small side. They were accompanied with a seasoned dipping oil which tasted stale, as if it had been sitting a while. It was more oily than seasoned. Not good.

The grilled pork chop was fairly large, seasoned just right, and was moist enough. I'd recommend it. The smashed potatoes were OK but had a bit of an odd flavor I just couldn't put my finger on. The entree was served on a bed of small, grilled asparagus...not crisp, but tasty nonetheless. My wife said with her first two bites that her salmon dish tasted "fishier" than it should have been. It seemed just a bit off, but she finished it...to her regret (more on that in a moment). For desert, my wife ordered a cheesecake and I had mint chocolate chip ice cream on chocolate fudge. Both deserts were huge and very good, but really we could have probably split just one between the two of us. Oh, the cheesecake was ordered because the desert special of the day -- red velvet cake -- also ran out just before we ordered.

Now to the story about afterward...my wife woke up in the wee hours of the morning with severe stomach pain. Nausea, diarrhea and a sleepless night ensued. I wound up having to make a trip to Walgreen’s to get a bottle of emetrol to mitigate the stomach pain and nausea. We can’t say with certainty what caused this episode. Could have been entirely coincidental. But the initial taste of the fish probably should have made her stop and send it back. For the price one pays here…

My wife called the restaurant 2 days later after finally feeling better to let the owner know about what happened and to ask if anyone else had called indicating a similar experience. She was told by the owner that no one else had called. There didn't seem to be, from what she said afterward, much concern expressed by the owner. She was not even asked her name. And whether or not an apology was required, none was offered. Nor was any type of "We hope you give us another chance," offer of a credit, or even a free beverage or desert as a bit of good will. It wasn't what we were looking for, but we have seen other establishments have that type of customer relations business sense which just didn't seem present here at really any point in the overall dining experience (other than the rose upon arrival).

It is probably not surprising that we will not be eating here again. Sorry, Bistro 220. Our one and only special occasion, our first time spent in your restaurant, was disappointing to say the least.

3  Thank CyFyGy
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very good food-dessert was too big for one person! Dining area was unique, like sitting in an old home but decorated nicely, Did not enter bar or gift shop below, but plan to on next visit.