“Always A Good Choice”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Chicago
“Always A Good Choice”
Reviewed August 8, 2006

I usually visit and stay at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa various times each year, most recently with a group of girlfriends, but I also visit often with my husband and three children. This time my husband came up after the girls went home and we spent a great day on the golf course.

For our girlfriend getaway this past July, five of us took two rooms, one a standard and the other a nice Newport Junior Suite (I think that’s what it’s called). Accommodations were great and the beds must have been new because they were unbelievably comfortable…more than I remembered from past visits. When traveling as a family, we tend to be loyal to Westin hotels as the chain’s Heavenly Bed are great. Grand Geneva Resort & Spa’s beds reminded me of the Heavenly Beds.

Poolside for drinks was the perfect way to spend the day with the girls. Plenty of chairs to be had and servers were very attentive, even offering complimentary bottles of Aquafina each day.

Breakfasts were eaten in the Grand Café and I highly recommend the oatmeal with carmelized crust and lots of fruit. Yummy! Service was fine.

Our nicest dinner was at the resort’s Geneva Chophouse, a bit pricey but let’s just say “you get what you pay for.” Monster-sized steaks and desserts to die for. Our server was extremely helpful in menu selection as well as deciphering the impressive wine list.

As far as the golf with my husband, we played The Brute, one of the most unbelievable courses I’ve ever played. Condition of the course was amazing, especially given the fact that it hadn’t rained for weeks and grass was firm and plush. Afterwards, we drove around the resort’s second course, called the Highlands, and found a completely different type of course which looked equally as plush.

We refer to the AAA travel guide for most of our vacation planning and the book says that Grand Geneva is one of just three AAA Four Diamond resorts in Wisconsin. There’s really no other option for us in Lake Geneva as this resort virtually has it all and the service has yet to disappoint. It definitely lives up to it’s Four Diamonds!

7 Thank Jillsvh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
USA
Reviewed July 17, 2006

We enjoyed our stay at the Grand Geneva. Try and stay on the side overlooking the golfcourse, it was beautiful! We had a ground floor room and could walk out and sit on the andorondak chairs overlooking the 18th green. It was very peaceful and a great place for the morning coffee and evening wine. Our room was fine, it was a Newport suite but really just an extra long room with a sitting area and table/chair kitchenette area. I really liked the outdoor pool, not too many resorts still have a big outdoor pool and on the night the weather was iffy, the indoor pool was a great option. The morning buffett was pricey and average in taste. We didn't eat at the other restaurants but walking by the prime rib in the Chophouse window made me WANT to eat there. We did get coffee and gelato at Starbucks, again pricey as always but a nice little cafe. Staff was very professional. We paid the extra $$ for waterpark passes at Timberridge, surprises there wasn't more of a break for Grand Geneva guests since they are on the same property and owned by the same. All in all a good trip

Stayed July 2006
9 Thank tsmdlm
Illinois
Reviewed July 9, 2006

It's been a year since our stay at the Grand Geneva Resort, and the memories will not go away! My hubby and I were there as part of a convention. Relatives who had been there before told us that if we were in the main building, we should ask for a room close to the lobby. It seems that the further you are away from the lobby, the worse the rooms become.

Well, there was only 1 room farther away than ours, and I really, really felt sorry for the poor people that ended up with that room. I don't see how it possibly could have been any worse than ours, but if it was, I would have run screaming into the night.

To start, the room was dirty. Just plain dirty. The bathroom was in need of repairs and mold removal. The bed was probably the worst I have ever slept in. Every tiny movement made the bed shimmy and shake. They told us it was a full-size bed, but I believe it wasn't much bigger than a twin. I ended up between the wall and the bed several times.

We thought that the balcony might be the one redeeming factor, but upon stepping out, we noticed that the gutter right beneath the railing was littered with pop-top rings from pop-cans, among other random niceties like cigarette butts, moldy leaves, and beer bottle tops. When was the last time you saw one of those pull-off rings from a can of pop? If you are feeling nostalgic, you now know where to go to see some.

As far as the rest of the resort, it is in a beautiful setting. But, the ceilings seem low and the whole building seemed dark I guess it was originally a Playboy club, so it must be what was "in" in the 1960's.

We ate one meal at their upscale Italian restaurant. I did not know it was possible to ruin simple marinara sauce, but they managed. We both ordered fruit gelato for desert. The presentation was nice, with the ice cream in the hollowed out shells of the fruit (orange for me and lemon for the hubby). But, the things were frozen so solid that we had trouble scraping some out into our spoons. Then, my lips actually froze to the spoon (yes, just like in the "Christmas Story" when the kid licked the flag pole).

Breakfast was.....ok. Not much more to say about that.

The price charged by the hotel is far, far more than anyone should be asked to pay for this level of accomdation and service. We checked out early, and noticed that several other guests seemed to be doing the same.

Now, since I always try to find at least one bright spot, I can say that they provide Aveda toiletries, which were very nice. I even made a special trip to the Aveda store at the Oakbrook Center Mall (Oakbrook, IL) to purchase a supply for myself.

As a Postscript--I had received an e-mail confirmation when I made my reservation, which stated that I would receive a survey after my stay. I never received it, so I guess they knew what I'd say, considering I left early.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
14 Thank jbillin
tampa
Reviewed June 19, 2006

typical convention center resort. well kept grounds. clean rooms. food is mediocre. with all the conventions and meetings, I got the impression that we might have been the only ones paying full price.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank jojojet195
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 2, 2005

I have been attending this resort for many years of my life, and every year reminds me of why I am so loyal to it's service. The rooms are well kept, you may come and go as you please, everything is elegant and homey at the same time. It is impossible to be uncomfortable, with the indoor and outdoor pools and even a small community of shops within the resort. The scenery is lovely, the staff is friendly, and I happen to know that quite a few stars find this particular resort "up to par". It is kosher and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway.

Stayed July 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2005

My husband, working in Chicago for a month, booked this without consulting me and after i read the reviews i was dreading staying here. Well, we must have had a newly decorated room (3213) because it was fine. It's a huge, huge place with something like 5 or 6 wings, each wing with a couple of floors. I suspect it gets very busy and noisy in peak season, but we arrived the day before Thanksgiving and it was empty. By the time we left, Saturday after Thanksg. it was busy and noisier.

I digress.... our room was standard size with two twin beds, the bathroom was not palatial but fine (yes, a lot of dust on the overhead lights, but if i didn't look up, i wasn't bothered). The decoration is "country style" very floral, dark wood etc. We had a view of the car park, but as we didn't spend a lot of time in our room, this didn't bother us. Yes, coffee making facilities were in the bathroom, but with the ever present Starbucks in the lobby, we never used this.

There seemed to be 3 restaurants within the complex, an Italian (can't remember what it was called) which was very nice - we ate twice and were not disappointed. Smaller European portions as well, which was a welcome break. However, on our last night we ate in the "cafe" behind the lobby and this was disappointing. Our server was more interested in his "buddies" at the next table and although my choice was fine, my husband's food was not good. We chose from the menu giving the standard buffet fare a miss.

We sat in the cosy chairs next to the fire, which was nice and on what was probably the coldest day in November, walked out to see the ski area (which was amusing.....)

We pottered around the lake a bit, but it was really too cold to do much walking unless you had the correct clothing. Shops are "quaint" if you like shopping!

A friendly place to stay, but i'm not sure i'd go back again as i don't place golf! Oh, and i forgot to pack my swimwear so we didn't bother with the spa...

• Stayed November 2005