“Stay away---far, far away!”

Grand Geneva Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed July 9, 2006

It's been a year since our stay at the Grand Geneva Resort, and the memories will not go away! My hubby and I were there as part of a convention. Relatives who had been there before told us that if we were in the main building, we should ask for a room close to the lobby. It seems that the further you are away from the lobby, the worse the rooms become.

Well, there was only 1 room farther away than ours, and I really, really felt sorry for the poor people that ended up with that room. I don't see how it possibly could have been any worse than ours, but if it was, I would have run screaming into the night.

To start, the room was dirty. Just plain dirty. The bathroom was in need of repairs and mold removal. The bed was probably the worst I have ever slept in. Every tiny movement made the bed shimmy and shake. They told us it was a full-size bed, but I believe it wasn't much bigger than a twin. I ended up between the wall and the bed several times.

We thought that the balcony might be the one redeeming factor, but upon stepping out, we noticed that the gutter right beneath the railing was littered with pop-top rings from pop-cans, among other random niceties like cigarette butts, moldy leaves, and beer bottle tops. When was the last time you saw one of those pull-off rings from a can of pop? If you are feeling nostalgic, you now know where to go to see some.

As far as the rest of the resort, it is in a beautiful setting. But, the ceilings seem low and the whole building seemed dark I guess it was originally a Playboy club, so it must be what was "in" in the 1960's.

We ate one meal at their upscale Italian restaurant. I did not know it was possible to ruin simple marinara sauce, but they managed. We both ordered fruit gelato for desert. The presentation was nice, with the ice cream in the hollowed out shells of the fruit (orange for me and lemon for the hubby). But, the things were frozen so solid that we had trouble scraping some out into our spoons. Then, my lips actually froze to the spoon (yes, just like in the "Christmas Story" when the kid licked the flag pole).

Breakfast was.....ok. Not much more to say about that.

The price charged by the hotel is far, far more than anyone should be asked to pay for this level of accomdation and service. We checked out early, and noticed that several other guests seemed to be doing the same.

Now, since I always try to find at least one bright spot, I can say that they provide Aveda toiletries, which were very nice. I even made a special trip to the Aveda store at the Oakbrook Center Mall (Oakbrook, IL) to purchase a supply for myself.

As a Postscript--I had received an e-mail confirmation when I made my reservation, which stated that I would receive a survey after my stay. I never received it, so I guess they knew what I'd say, considering I left early.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
14  Thank jbillin

Reviewed June 19, 2006

typical convention center resort. well kept grounds. clean rooms. food is mediocre. with all the conventions and meetings, I got the impression that we might have been the only ones paying full price.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank jojojet195
Reviewed January 28, 2006

• Stayed: January 2006
12  Thank rhhenne
A TripAdvisor Member
Round Lake Beach, Illinois
Reviewed December 2, 2005

I have been attending this resort for many years of my life, and every year reminds me of why I am so loyal to it's service. The rooms are well kept, you may come and go as you please, everything is elegant and homey at the same time. It is impossible to be uncomfortable, with the indoor and outdoor pools and even a small community of shops within the resort. The scenery is lovely, the staff is friendly, and I happen to know that quite a few stars find this particular resort "up to par". It is kosher and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway.

Stayed: July 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 26, 2005

My husband, working in Chicago for a month, booked this without consulting me and after i read the reviews i was dreading staying here. Well, we must have had a newly decorated room (3213) because it was fine. It's a huge, huge place with something like 5 or 6 wings, each wing with a couple of floors. I suspect it gets very busy and noisy in peak season, but we arrived the day before Thanksgiving and it was empty. By the time we left, Saturday after Thanksg. it was busy and noisier.

I digress.... our room was standard size with two twin beds, the bathroom was not palatial but fine (yes, a lot of dust on the overhead lights, but if i didn't look up, i wasn't bothered). The decoration is "country style" very floral, dark wood etc. We had a view of the car park, but as we didn't spend a lot of time in our room, this didn't bother us. Yes, coffee making facilities were in the bathroom, but with the ever present Starbucks in the lobby, we never used this.

There seemed to be 3 restaurants within the complex, an Italian (can't remember what it was called) which was very nice - we ate twice and were not disappointed. Smaller European portions as well, which was a welcome break. However, on our last night we ate in the "cafe" behind the lobby and this was disappointing. Our server was more interested in his "buddies" at the next table and although my choice was fine, my husband's food was not good. We chose from the menu giving the standard buffet fare a miss.

We sat in the cosy chairs next to the fire, which was nice and on what was probably the coldest day in November, walked out to see the ski area (which was amusing.....)

We pottered around the lake a bit, but it was really too cold to do much walking unless you had the correct clothing. Shops are "quaint" if you like shopping!

A friendly place to stay, but i'm not sure i'd go back again as i don't place golf! Oh, and i forgot to pack my swimwear so we didn't bother with the spa...

• Stayed: November 2005