It's been a year since our stay at the Grand Geneva Resort, and the memories will not go away! My hubby and I were there as part of a convention. Relatives who had been there before told us that if we were in the main building, we should ask for a room close to the lobby. It seems that the further you are away from the lobby, the worse the rooms become.
Well, there was only 1 room farther away than ours, and I really, really felt sorry for the poor people that ended up with that room. I don't see how it possibly could have been any worse than ours, but if it was, I would have run screaming into the night.
To start, the room was dirty. Just plain dirty. The bathroom was in need of repairs and mold removal. The bed was probably the worst I have ever slept in. Every tiny movement made the bed shimmy and shake. They told us it was a full-size bed, but I believe it wasn't much bigger than a twin. I ended up between the wall and the bed several times.
We thought that the balcony might be the one redeeming factor, but upon stepping out, we noticed that the gutter right beneath the railing was littered with pop-top rings from pop-cans, among other random niceties like cigarette butts, moldy leaves, and beer bottle tops. When was the last time you saw one of those pull-off rings from a can of pop? If you are feeling nostalgic, you now know where to go to see some.
As far as the rest of the resort, it is in a beautiful setting. But, the ceilings seem low and the whole building seemed dark I guess it was originally a Playboy club, so it must be what was "in" in the 1960's.
We ate one meal at their upscale Italian restaurant. I did not know it was possible to ruin simple marinara sauce, but they managed. We both ordered fruit gelato for desert. The presentation was nice, with the ice cream in the hollowed out shells of the fruit (orange for me and lemon for the hubby). But, the things were frozen so solid that we had trouble scraping some out into our spoons. Then, my lips actually froze to the spoon (yes, just like in the "Christmas Story" when the kid licked the flag pole).
Breakfast was.....ok. Not much more to say about that.
The price charged by the hotel is far, far more than anyone should be asked to pay for this level of accomdation and service. We checked out early, and noticed that several other guests seemed to be doing the same.
Now, since I always try to find at least one bright spot, I can say that they provide Aveda toiletries, which were very nice. I even made a special trip to the Aveda store at the Oakbrook Center Mall (Oakbrook, IL) to purchase a supply for myself.
As a Postscript--I had received an e-mail confirmation when I made my reservation, which stated that I would receive a survey after my stay. I never received it, so I guess they knew what I'd say, considering I left early.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Geneva® Resort is the place to meet. Whether a corporate meeting, convention or a gathering with friends and family, the endless range of meeting rooms & space and activities will keep everyone engaged. Conveniently located between Chicago and Milwaukee, there is so much to do at Lake Geneva’s only four diamond resort.Corporate travelers and families alike will find what they need to re-focus, relax or rev-up. With over 62,000 square feet of banquet space, guests have multiple options to choose from for that important business meeting, church retreat, wedding reception or family vacation. Or take time and enjoy a relaxing experience at the newly renovated WELL Spa or one of many dining options, while an indoor waterpark and kid’s program offer the excitement kids crave. Enjoy a group bonfire at the horse stables, a fast plunge down a ski hill, a serene walk through the trails or a drive down a fairway on two championship golf courses – all situated on Grand Geneva’s seemingly endless acres.No matter your reason for meeting….it’s all here in one Grand location in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Geneva Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Geneva Resort And Spa
- Grand Geneva Hotel Lake Geneva
- Grand Geneva Lake
- Lake Geneva Illinois