“Fantastic Weekend Stay”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Carpentersville, Illinois
“Fantastic Weekend Stay”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Geneva for a weekend conference and found the staff, facility and amenities excellent. The suite was very comfortable and the bed was excellent. The staff is very friendly and helpful, any request's that I had were met with a superb response. I ate at the Grand Cafe and the Geneva Chop House (both within the resort) the food was excellent. Highly suggest the Prime Rib buffet on Friday evenings. The breakfast buffet with the omelet chefs was great as well. Many choices at a reasonable price....best part you don't have to leave the resort to dine in comfort.
I highly recommend the Grand Geneva for a family get-a-way or romantic weekend, the Grand does both very well.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Gerald R, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at Grand Geneva! We have a nice balance of activities and restaurants for families and couples. Now that winter is upon us, guests can enjoy our outdoor activities like skiing, ice skating, sledding or just relax indoors by our fireplace with a book or take advantage of the spa/ fitness center. There is a little something for everyone and I look forward to your return!

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
Chicago, IL USA
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I’m not usually a fan of mega-resorts but my wife and I drive from Chicago to ski at Alpine Valley and the area is not exactly overrun with upscale lodging options. We don’t mind ski-bumming it in a cheap hotel, eating delivery pizza and munching on fried cheese curds at Culvers all weekend. But staying at the Grand Geneva kicks things up a notch and makes it a true getaway.

The overall vibe I would give the place is that of an enormous country club. The crowd is a little better dressed and more well-behaved than you’re going to find at your average water-park hotel. With all of the activities and on-site restaurants the resort is big and not something you’d expect to find in rural Wisconsin.

We were in building 3 with a view of the parking lot - essentially the cheapest room available. Our room was clean and well appointed. The bathrooms seemed modern with granite counters and rainfall shower heads. The beds and pillows were comfortable. Free cable and WiFi is provided including a funky TV that is viewable through the bathroom mirror.

The on-site restaurants are reminiscent of up-scale chains like Ruth’s Chris or similar. The food is not edgy or pushing the culinary boundaries but it’s definitely good. The service is excellent. Prices are comparable to similar restaurants. There’s more local, unique restaurants nearby in Lake Geneva which I would generally prefer. But I have to admit it’s convenient to have good dining options on site. Room service is another amenity that you won’t easily find at other hotels in the area.

We didn’t visit the water park or the ski area but my impression is that they’re fairly small compared to other parks in the area. But, where else will you get both on the same property?

Overall the Grand Geneva manages to provide an upscale touch without being too stuffy. We try to make a few ski trips here each year and this is probably going to become our new preferred place to stay.

Room Tip: The main complex buildings are in a line from number 1 through number 7. The main lodge is in the m...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bloomingdale, Illinois
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I just checked out of the Grand Geneva in Lake Geneva, and would never go back! The staff is very polite and pleasant but the place is just plain old. The beds feel like they have not been replaced since Hugh and his play mates called it home!! The TV's go in and out while you are watching a movie! The Trolley that is suppose to take you around from location to location never shows up! waited 1 hour once until I just got in my car and drove. They called the trolley another time the driver said 4 minutes and 20 minutes later still nothing! The staff is extremely nice and laid back, they are truly the only reason I see this place survives! The steaks from the steak house were awful, I don't think I would feed my dog that grade of meat! My kids had fun I'm glad we did it but I have definitely had better night sleeps at motel 6's then this $500.00 a night suites!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Gerald R, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at the Grand Geneva. We pride ourselves on our accommodations, food and service. We have done numerous renovations, but there is still a nice touch of nostalgia from the Playboy days.
We recently installed new beds throughout the resort. These beds were designed specifically for the Grand and may be on the soft side for some guests.
Our trolley tour of lights is a very popular part of the Grand Geneva's holiday celebration and, therefore, has been very busy. If this was the cause of the delay, I apologize. I hope you will give us another try in the future.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I am a meeting planner and we're extremely impressed with the food at the Grand - even the conference food is excellent and well presented. All three on site restaurants have excellent food as well. Service in restaurants and from the banquet staff is top notch. The Grand is in a beautiful location close to but out of the traffic of Lake Geneva, and has a kind of laid back, comfortable feel to it, not like some resorts that make you feel you've got to dress up to leave your room.. The Junior suites with gas fireplaces are the best value, I was so cozy in my room. We're going back next year.

Room Tip: Spring for a room with a fireplace! All the rooms are very good, tv in mirror, etc, but these are gr...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Lake Bluff, Illinois
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I went with my husband for a conference and now that I am home, I am having withdrawals, from the amazing food to the dynamic suite. The beds are to die for, I have arthritis and always hurt while I sleep and wake up, no aches the entire weekend. I cannot wait to go back. We had the prime rib buffet, excellent main, sides and dessert bar, with white chocolate and milk chocolate fountains, and with staying in the hotel a dining discount, therefore the overall cost was definitely worth it.

Room Tip: The suites are situated in a quiet area in Bldg 1, loved it, and no one goes down there unless their...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Lake Forest, Illinois
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We had a Groupon for a night at the Grand Geneva Resort and Spa. Our reservation happened to be on the night of their holiday light extravaganza.What a fun event. The celebration began at 4 pm when a local HS orchestra played holiday music. Cookies,hot chocolate and cider were available for guests. Holiday characters were on hand for photos -- toy soldier, angel, Snow Queen, gingerbread man or moose. Guests could walk the hotel to see the beautiful decorated trees complete with fake snow that blew over the lobby area much to the delight of youngsters. Many animated displays kept young and old oohing and aahing . Gingerbread houses created by novices and professionals are displayed and guests can vote for their favorites. Over 2 million lights decorate the property. It's worth a drive up to the resort to see the 12 Days of Christmas, Santa playing golf, along with many other scenes. The evening ended with a fireworks display that was lovely.
Our room was updated, clean, and comfortable. We decided to try the concierge option which was $45. per hotel room. This was a separate room on the first floor that offered appetizers, drinks, and breakfast in the morning. It was a quiet, relaxing place to watch the game.
We will definitely go back for this event next year and will book another night during the year.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank roseyswan
Gerald R, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you for the great feedback on your visit during our Illumination event! The decorations change every year, so it is fun to come and visit us each year and see something different. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time here with us at the Grand Geneva and we look forward to your return in the near future.

Williams Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Although most resorts "decorate" for the holidays, Grand Geneva decorates over the top. Every turn as your wander the halls is an experience that is both enjoyable and "wow"able! And that is just the inside. The outside lights of the 12 days of Christmas can be driven without even getting out of your car. Plus they have entertainment and great food. All makes for a wonderful day or evening.

Room Tip: If you don't want to go "out" in the weather, make sure you get a room in the main bui...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends