“Some good...some bad”

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Illinois
“Some good...some bad”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My family and I spent three nights here just after Memorial Day. We have stayed here before and the stays were wonderful. This trip was rather disappointing. The good first...it was not very crowded so we had a great time using the pool (indoor and outdoor). We had a very attentive server at the outdoor pool, Michael. He made sure we always had everything we needed and was very polite. The spa was wonderful. Leana (spelling?) was fantastic and Connie made me feel especially welcome. Great job!! Now the not so good part...the room. We had a premier suite which is a beautiful room. The beds though need to be updated. The room has a king bed and a pull out sofa double bed. The king bed was fair but the pull out bed was terrible. The only way to sleep on it was to take the mattress off the bed, close it back up and put the mattress on the floor to sleep on. But, we had to put all of the couch cushions underneath the mattress on the floor to even make it somewhat comfy. Still not good but so much better than the bed. The second item I was a bit frustrated with was housekeeping. Our room was not made up until 2:00 when we were not in the room after 9:30 am. We stayed 3 nights and were never provided more than one bottle of shampoo and conditioner to use for 4 guests. The floor was never vacuumed the entire time we were there. For the price paid for the room I would have liked to been better taken care of. Last thing, when I checked out, the associate never asked how my stay was. I would have gladly brought up my concerns with him but he never asked.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MDGGRS, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear cd942 - Please accept my apologies for the poor mattresses and housekeeping services that you were provided during your recent visit. I assure you that this is not the level of service or product that we provide at The Grand Geneva Resort and Spa. I was also shocked at the poor interaction that you had with our front desk associate. I have shared your feedback with my management team in an effort to enhance our operating procedures as well as our training programs. As for the mattresses we do have a new bedding program that will be installed within the next 45 days.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
Kingsford, Michigan
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Wife and I recently spent two night at the Grand Geneva. Staff was amazing. Rooms were ok, did have a tv in the mirror of the bathroom. Food was very good. Lot of great amenities included in the resort, though some are additional charges. Room did not get very cold. Was able to get a great deal for the weekend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Matt914 – Thank you for your recent posting. I was pleased to read that the staff was amazing and that our People Pleasing People service culture was evident during your visit.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife and I spent three nights at Grand Geneva at the end of March as a brief getaway during spring break.

Grand Geneva sits on a beautiful wooded, rolling campus a few minutes outside of downtown Lake Geneva for when we wanted a change of scenery and did not want to eat or drink at the resort establishments.

We had a king suite in Building 2, which was a long and winding walk away from the main lodge where the lobby, pools and restaurants are located. In order to go between the room and lodge, you have to walk through narrow room corridors. I was left with the impression that it would be best to be located further away from the lodge so as to limit noise from passersby. In nicer weather (it was still wintry when we were there), it might be faster to walk outside to go between the room wings and lodge.

Our room was very nice, with a comfortable king bed, a very nicely appointed bathroom, and ample storage space. It was nice to have a small refrigerator in the room to allow us to bring back beer and snacks purchased in town to enjoy in the room. A minor quibble: the couch and chair in the living space were not all that comfortable.

A couple of words about dining at Grand Geneva: The Geneva ChopHouse was a flat-out disappointment the night we ate there and we would not go back. The service was uneven, which was heightened by a surly manager who seemed inconvenienced to be there. He sniped at his wait staff and could not be bothered to offer assistance when it was clear the staff could use an extra hand clearing a plate, etc. The staff clearly lacked good leadership. The food was also not up to scratch given the prices that were being charged. And what restaurant in the 21st Century has a dessert cart?! The thing was an abomination at best, and a hazard going through the dining room at worst!

The week we were there, the Italian restaurant was closed because its kitchen was converted into a Kosher kitchen for Passover, so we could not eat there. The best food of our stay was probably at the sports bar/ nightclub next to the ChopHouse, which served very good bar food and had a nice beer selection. The staff was as good as could be despite working for the same surly manager. Don't even get me started about the dinner buffet in the lobby cafe...

This review is getting long, so I will summarize that the spa and fitness center are very nice. My wife and I enjoyed a very nice massage.

Last thing to mention about Grand Geneva is regarding their pet policy, which was great! We took our 17-pound mixed breed (mutt!) and she was treated wonderfully. They provided her with a gourmet dog treat, and us with complimentary poop bags and a holder (hint hint). We decided to go down to the bar in the lodge for a drink and to relax outside our room and took the dog down. The staff was cool with her being there even though I am sure she was probably not supposed to be there. We would recommend taking your dog if you are considering a stay.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay at Grand Geneva and will definitely consider it again for a getaway based on setting and room quality, though we will probably not eat on campus much if at all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MDGGRS, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Schmengi9 - Thank you for feedback on your March resort stay. I want to apologize for your horrible ChopHouse experience. I assure you that this is not the level of service or product that we provide at The Grand Geneva Resort and Spa. I have shared your feedback with my leadership team in an effort to enhance our food selections, operating procedures as well as our training programs. I was pleased to read that your other interactions with the resort staff and facilities were positive.

Brett Sundstrom
Burr Ridge, Illinois USA
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I recently took my daughter and 5 grandchildren to Grand Geneva for the Memorial Day Weekend. I drove up later in the day than they did, stopping at the Lodge to drop off my bags -- they were staying at the waterpark hotel a couple minutes away. As I was driving over there to meet them, my daughter called frantically to please hurry, the youngest (2 years old) had a seizure (his third); she had administered the medication she had, and he was coming out of it, but wanted some "support". She called the front desk to ask for an "in house" doctor -- a security man came up immediately, who had been a medic in the military and was a trained first responder. He was very helpful in "keeping things cool", and advising us which hospital to head to with directions -- even though the seizure had ended, Caden had some residual symptoms that we wanted a doctor to see.

Over the next couple of days, we ran into the "security" man several times -- always asking how the baby was doing and dropping off a "get well" basket of goodies.

This was one of many times we have stayed at Grand Geneva through the years, and we have always enjoyed ourselves and the wonderful facilities. One of the "stand outs" for me, is the delicious Sunday morning buffet at the Chop House -- "not" to be missed!!

Room Tip: I always stay on the second floor in building 6 overlooking the parking lot --- lovely rooms that...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MDGGRS, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Donna V - Thank you for sharing your accounts surrounding your recent visit. How is your Granddaughter doing now? I have shared your accolades with our Loss Prevention Department, our team is well trained and I was pleased to read that their skill set was beneficial to your families needs. I hope you and your family will have an opportunity to return to the resort in the near future.
Inverness, Illinois
Reviewed June 5, 2013

First time there, hotel was amazing, dinner was amazing. The outside grounds were amazing. Valet is included. Great experience, we will be back of course. The drive from the northwest suburbs was about an hour. We went during a time when it was raining, and we thought it was really busy. I can't imagine what it would be like during the warmer months in better climate. Definitely check out downtown. There are plenty of restaurants in the hotel to eat at. But definitely try and support the local businesses downtown during your stay. I think a 2 or 3 day trip is sufficient.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear wrajendr - Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you made the short drive from the Chicago land area to experience the Grand Geneva Resort for the first time. I look forward to welcoming you back to the resort this summer.

Brett Sundstrom
Whiting, Indiana
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My friends and I recently rented two side by side villas at the Grand Geneva. We were pleased with the room, staff, accomadations. The map, though, makes it seem as if everything is within walking distance when in fact each building is on a hillside and not easily accessed by foot. That is my only negative comment.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Villas, overlooking the golf course. Clean, quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Very nice and responsive employees. Rooms are nicely appointed and it seems that all of them had a balcony. Trolley tour taught me so much about the grounds. If you can catch the tour with Bob I would highly recommend it!! Lookin forward to a future visit and having the time to enjoy the recreational activities the grand Geneva has to offer (horseback, golf, skiing, etc.)

• Stayed May 2013