“Grand geneva GRAND.......” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Naperville, Illinois, United States
“Grand geneva GRAND.......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were @ Grand Geneva for 2 nights. Very nice upscale place. Great rooms and the best part was the TV in the bathroom .
Since it was off season they let us do an early check in and a late check out. They also gave us a room with great view.Very accommodating and courteous staff.
The gym and spa was great. We also did the rock climbing.Great dining options. We had a memorable luxurious vacation .
Highly recommend this place.
M

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room with good view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MDGGRS, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Anupama V, thank you for your recent posting. I was pleased to read that you had a memorable, luxurious vacation. Yes those TVs in the bathroom mirrors are cool. I have shared your accolades with team. I look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

Kindest Regards,
Brett Sundstrom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
Morton Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights. At first we were hesitant because it was a little pricey, but the website offered a buy 1 night get 1 night free deal, which was amazing! The amenities were luxurious. I especially liked the built in tv's in the bathroom mirror! The property was clean, the staff was friendly. They also accommodated all our requests without hesitation. It was located very close to town (3 minutes drive). Valet was complimentary, which is always a plus! The food was delicious and not a bad price for the service and quality! Overall, the value was well worth the money. I definitely recommend staying here, and we are already planning on coming back during the summer!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Courtney N, Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Christine Z - Thank you so much for your recent posting. I am so glad you tried out our 2nd Night Free offer and enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you return again in the summer.

Regards,
Courtney Nobilio
Director of Marketing Communications
Hanover Park, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have been fortunate to visit the place and I really loved it. I would go back in a heart beat once I got the luxury of time and spend a quiet week-end. Very nice and stress relieving place. Thank you to the staff and managament.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Casa Grande, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed last summer and made a suggestion that you use dedicated carafes or teapots for hot water for tea. The reason being that no matter how well you clean a carafe that has been used for coffee you always have some residual cofee flavor in the water. I'm delighted to say you listened. I ordered room service both mornings with hot tea. My hot water came in a carafe that had a tag on it indicating it was identifed for use with hot water.My tea tasted like it should and started my day off on a positve note. I meant a lot to know that you listened and took my suggestion seriously. Thank You

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

we were upgraded to a suite...nice room..free deserts at restaurants..food was wonderful..spa treatments were very relaxing. staff was friendly and sent free truffles to room. pool n jacuzzi..nice n clean. robes in room. room located close to main lodge. piano music in lounge daily

• Stayed April 2013
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

We made reservations last night for May 21 and 22, and we're already writing a review? "Why, for heaven's sake?" you ask. Here's why: First, the gal we spoke with last night was wonderful. She told us about the free access to the spa and fitness facility (aside from spa treatments which of course are extra). She asked if we were going to be celebrating a special event, and we told her this trip would be a pre-celebration of our wedding on May 25. Even before we called back to add a second night, she had decided to upgrade us to a lake view from a parking lot view, which is normally a $30 dollar upgrade. When we called back, she said she'd upgrade us on both nights. So far, so good.

Now here's the not-so-great part: Today we receive an email confirmation that adds a $15 per night plus tax resort fee to the reservation. When I called to inquire the operator said that was their way to save us money because it was a bundled fee that paid for wireless Internet and parking as well as the spa. In my experience, wireless Internet is free at any hotel other than large chain hotels in big cities. And I have always protested vigorously against the fees in those hotels because they're just hidden fees that they use to keep the room rates artificially low, and they represent pure revenue, not just a cost they have to pass on. Same with parking. I've never paid for parking at any non big-city hotel, and no one should. They have parking lots for a reason, so people can stay at their hotel and pay for the privilege of staying there. Free parking should be an enticement to stay at your hotel. The parking lot is a cost built into the construction of the hotel and was paid for long before. Thus, like wireless Internet, it represents just another way for the hotel to make money, and the cost is hidden until the very end. To the extent the hotel wants to charge for access to the fitness center/spa, it should be optional.

In any event, when I complained, the supervisor removed the charge, which I appreciate as far as it goes. We likely would have canceled our reservation completely had it not been removed. But this idea of charging for these items, and the even more infuriating idea of keeping them separate from the room rates, is despicable and unethical. They know that people look at room rates when pricing hotels, and by the time they learn of the extra fees, most customers have already made up their minds. The practice should be illegal.

All that being said, we expect to have a wonderful time at the Grand Geneva; by all accounts it's a fabulous facility. The corporate practice of attempted after-the-fact gouging, however, will stay with me.

p.s. I'm clicking on April 2013 for time of travel because I have to select one of the options in order to post this pre-review.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank redgrange89
Hello redgrange89 – Thank you for your recent feedback. I had my Reservation Manger Jayson Martin reach out to you to assist you with your resort fee. I understand all is well now, if not please call me at 262-249-4713. For the future traveler we do charge a daily resort fee of $15 that covers: valet parking, on-campus trolley transportation, in-room safes, use of the fitness center, Wi-Fi service, two bottles of water and local calls. Redgranne89 how was your stay?
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the grand Geneva resort on the weekend of April 13. Overall it was good. Rooms are nice love the tvs in the bathrooms as well as
the beds. Service during check in was just ok could have been better but no complaints. Hubby and I hang out at the lobby bar on Sat night and enjoyed the classical entertainment. The band especially the piano player was really good. Overall no complaints about our stay we will be back but during the holidays. I missed the holiday decor! Last time we stayed at the grand Geneva it was during Christmas so the place looked a bit dull without all the decor. Oh and breakfast at the Grand Cafe was amazing! :)

• Stayed April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dearly4ever
Hello dearly4ever – Thank you for your recent posting. I was pleased to read that you and your husband enjoyed your weekend. I have shared your feedback with my Front Office management team. At the Grand Geneva we are committed to high quality, live, daily, entertainment at the resort and agree that the Dan Trudell Jazz piano trio are amazing. Be sure to check out our new live holiday shows this coming Christmas.

Sincerely –