“We had a Grand time at the Geneva Grand Resort”

Grand Geneva Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Lemont, Illinois, United States
“We had a Grand time at the Geneva Grand Resort”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

While on a recent business trip this fall, my husband and I were able to enjoy many of the amenities that the Grand Geneva Resort has to offer. We were greeted by a welcoming and helpful staff. Our comfortable room provided a beautiful view of the manicured golf course. We each received a golf lesson from the pro and then played a much improved round on the challenging course (thanks, Kyle). The food at the Chop House was exceptional and we ended the night relaxing around the fire pit with a glass of wine on a crisp fall night. The rejuvenating massage we received at the Spa was a great way to end the work week. While we enjoyed our fall visit, we plan on coming back soon to experience all that winter has to offer (skiing) at the resort.

1 Thank Sue W
MDGGRS, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your recent posting. The Grand Geneva is the perfect resort to Rekindle and Renew. During the winter season the resort transforms into a winter wonderland, you will love it. I look forward to your return visit.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
Ohio
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed at the Grand Geneva for a work related event. I was very impressed with the facility upon pulling up to the main lodge. The setting is quite lovely. The staff at check in was very friendly. I used the bell and valet service and they were both excellent. My room had a grand view of the lake and golf course and was spotless. The room was adequately sized with a nice, albeit small, deck and included all the amenities one would expect in this type of facility. I liked that the room has a sliding glass door with a screen that locks. I slept with that door open on both nights of my stay.

The grounds are spectacular with plenty of areas for walking and relaxing. The pool area and the lobby lounge are quite nice places to enjoy a cocktail. The Chophouse had very good food and service.

With regard to the work event, it was pulled off seamlessly. Excellent facilities and service.

I hope to visit again on leisure. What a wonderful place!

Room Tip: Go for the main lodge if you are on a couples retreat and request a room on the golf course side. T...
2 Thank Layne63
MDGGRS, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your recent posting. I was glad to read that the staff as well as the product exceeded your expectations. I agree with you that our resort provides an excellent venue to host conferences and events. I look forward to your return visit.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 30, 2012

In great contradistinction to my last stay here about 2 years ago, this was a generally awful experience, with a few notable exceptions. The good news: the spa and gym are fantastic. The massage therapist took time to inquire about my sore areas then concentrated on my tense shoulders and upper back. He also gave free pointers on stretching exercises. The steam room, sauna and whilpool were relaxing and well maintained. The attendants were attentive and helpful. Our room had a great view of the bucolic 36 hole golf courses, which appeared meticulously maintained (though I did not have opportunity to play any rounds). The champagne welcome at check in was a nice touch. Now the not-so-good news: unlike the spa staff, the hotel and restaurant staff, though pleasant enough, seemed confused and overwhelmed. The process of check in was painfully slow. We had booked a "junior suite", which turned out to be little more than a slightly expanded guest room with a faux fireplace and wet bar. Definitely not worth the $100.00 per night incremental cost. We could hear normal volume conversations from the next room through the thin walls till the wee hours. Also, the constant drubbing of the band in the lobby bar contributed to our insomnia. To be fair,the bed was quite firm and comfortable. The coup de gras, however, was the housekeeping (or lack thereof). The housekeeper did not show up until 2:00 p.m., while we were changing to go to a wedding ceremony. We asked them to retun in one hours time. When we returned from the wedding reception at 10:00 pm, the room still had not been made up. The night manager at the front desk offered nothing but a sack full of "I'm sorry's." While at the front desk I was accosted by a drunk who thought he could make an impression on the attractive young woman manager by berating me for lodging my complaint. He used foul language, calling me every dirty name in the book and then threatened to break the finger I was pointing in his direction while telling him to mind his own business, The front desk staff did noting to defuse the situation. The next morning at check out, the general manager to his credit deducted one night's room and tax from our bill and gave us a vouched for a weekend retreat, good for a year. But, this outfit certainly does not live up to the multiple four-diamond plaques they proudly display over the front desk.

Room Tip: Avoid Building 5, which is near the lobby bar, which has loud bands during the weekends.
1 Thank Orso52
Thank you for your recent posting. My name is Brett Sundstrom and I am the Managing Director of the Grand Geneva Resort & Spa. I apologize that you encountered less than ideal service while staying with us. We pride ourselves on creating a warm welcome experience with personalized service. Our priority is to provide you with a great experience, but it sounds as though we failed to hit the mark during your stay. I apologize for that. Your comments have been shared with my staff, so thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take your comments to heart, as your feedback will help us improve. As we continue to strive for excellence in service, I welcome the opportunity to speak to you more about your recent resort experience - I may be reached at 262-249-4713.
Toronto
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We were at Grand Geneva for 3 days for our parents 40th wedding anniversary. The town has a ton of attractions, the hotel had all the right amenities for kids 4 months to 5 years old. We used the pool, visited the Dan Patch farm/petting zoo/pony rides, and enjoyed seeing the sights. We wished we had more time for golf. Food was great, staff were friendly and helpful. There was a wedding going on Saturday night and the resort is laid out in such a way that other guests wouldn't know the difference. We'd go back any time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Patrick B
MDGGRS, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for your recent posting. I am honored that you selected the Grand Geneva resort to celebrate your parent’s anniversary. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your reunion. You definitely need to return and golf the Highlands and the Brute golf courses. I look forward to your return visit.

Chicago Ridge, Illinois
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We had a wonderful time. The staff was excellent as we enjoyed the glass of champagne upon our arrival! We enjoy dinning in the restaurants, the food was delicious as well as the evening cocktails. The indoor pool and the Spa were amazing. We had such a good time we plan to return soon!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nellie P
MDGGRS, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank you for your recent posting. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to your return visit.

Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed for one night to celebrate our 6 year anniversary. Upon check in we were asked if we would like a glass of chapagne and we were upgraded to a lake view room. The room was awesome and my husband loved the TV in the bathroom mirror! We were 3 mins from Downtown Lake Geneva where we had dinner and did some shopping. We hung out at the bar "Evolve" at the Grand Geneva and enjoyed a few beers and some wings while watching the Sunday night football game. There was a nice fire going and it was very comfortable and relaxing. The hotel was very clean and well kept. We will definetly stay here again. We used one of the "hot date" specials to stay on a Sunday evening so we couldn't beat the value! Free valet parking was a plus.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mamajuana1419
MDGGRS, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for your recent posting. I am honored that you selected the Grand Geneva Resort to celebrate your anniversary. I was glad to read that your resort experience was truly “Grand”. I look forward to welcoming you back to the resort.

Wheeling, Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had a great getaway thanks to the wonderful staff and amenities Grand Geneva had to offer. We will definitely go back again and again!!! They took us in on short notice. We had a great value. The food was also top quality.

Room Tip: Don't choose courtside view unless you want to look at the parking lot!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian A
Thank you for your recent posting. I am glad that you had a “Grand” experience. I look forward to your return visit.