“Great Experience”

Grand Geneva Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I spent part of our honeymoon here and spent three nights at the resort. We loved the restaurants on site and had a fabulous experience at the spa. We had a standard room with king bed, which was a good size. Overall, I would most certainly return!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jessica C
Courtney N, Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Thank you for your recent posting. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience and were able to celebrate your anniversary with us! I am glad that you got to see first hand our "People Pleasing People" service culture in so many different areas of the resort. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Grand Geneva Resort & Spa

Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was my family's first trip to the Grand Geneva and overall we were impressed with the place and will likely return for future vacations.

What's good:

1) The Rooms. We stayed in a Junior Suite, which is basically an oversized room with a pull-out couch and a breakfast/wet bar nook that includes a mini-fridge. Our daughter slept on the pull-out couch and while it did not provide the privacy of a true suite (with a separate bedroom), the fact that the couch was facing away from our bed helped our daughter fall asleep while we were still rambling around the room. We stayed on the third floor facing the lake. The view, while partially obstructed by trees, was still gorgeous and we all enjoyed sitting on our patio in the mornings and evenings absorbing the sights and smells of nature.

2) The Views. As good as the view from our room was, the views from the main lobby, the outdoor pool and the Grand Cafe were even better. Just stunning.

3) Concierge Service. If you are going to take part in any activities in the resort, do yourself a favor and speak to the concierge. On our trip, the concierge was Jan and she was phenomenal. She helped book activities and provided tips for non-resort activities in town. She remembered us and when she saw us walking in the lobby, she would follow-up to see how our activities had gone. This is a rare level of customer service that I've only experienced previously at the Ritz-Carlton.

4) Activities. The Grand Geneva offers a smorgasbord of activities - both for kids and adults. We barely scraped the surface on this trip, trying both the horseback riding and the water park, but we intend to delve more deeply on future trips. We really feel that we could go here any time of year and have plenty to keep us pleasantly busy.

5) Employees Empowered To Make Things Right. There was an issue with our room when we attempted to check in and the person at the front desk immediately (and appropriately) offered us a free lunch at the Grand Cafe to compensate for our inconvenience. This quickly turned what could have been a bad situation into a good one.

The Not-So-Good:

1) The Grand Cafe. Since we had our daughter with us, we frequented the Grand Cafe rather than the more upscale dinner-only restaurants. While the food at the Cafe was generally good and even occasionally very good, the service -- especially at breakfast and lunch -- was mostly lackluster. The service was marked by lack of checking back with the table, getting orders slightly incorrect, and overall slow service. While the service was certainly not atrocious, it failed to live up to standard set by the rest of the resort (or even the standard of a well run chain restaurant). Additionally there were small disappointments such as ordering an omelet that the menu said would be "topped with fresh salsa" only to discover that the salsa was obviously from a jar. At the breakfast buffet, neither toaster actually seemed to toast (we observed two other families having similar problems). We mentioned this to the manager but are unsure if it has been resolved (the toasters were still there and not working properly our last morning). Since the breakfast and lunch options at the resort are limited, the Grand Cafe is the one thing that gives me the most pause about returning to the Grand Geneva.

2) Marcus Rewards - Marcus Rewards is the Grand Geneva’s affinity program where you earn points for money spent on dining and services at the Grand Geneva (and any other Marcus properties). The points can be converted into gift certificates for Marcus properties. The program itself is a good thing, but there is one aspect to it that I found aggravating. To get credit for each dining and service purchased at the resort, you must swipe your affinity card each time. I was astounded that you couldn’t bill everything to your room and then have your Rewards accounted automatically credited at checkout (this is how MGM Resorts’ affinity program works). Why does this matter? Remember how I said that service in the Grand Cafe is slow? Well, this adds another step and more time to settling your bill. If you weren’t using the Rewards card, the server could drop off the room charge slip and then you could simply fill it out and leave. If you want to earn Rewards credit for the meal, however, you must wait for the busy server to take your card for processing like a credit card. I understand that if you are not staying at the resort, that swiping is necessary but why not make it easier for those who are staying there? The other time this issue comes into play is when you want to buy food at the pool or at the Timber Ridge water park. Generally, you do not want to drag along a wallet or even an affinity card to these locations, but if you do not, sorry -- no reward for you.

3) The Outdoor Pool. This may not be entirely fair as the outdoor pool area is beautiful and the views from it are breathtakingly amazing but be aware that it is fairly small and if the weather is good and the resort is busy, the pool area is going to be completely packed. There is a decent indoor pool as well.

4) Passageways Between Buildings. Does this really matter? Probably not, but the passageways that connect the buildings and the stairwells in the buildings still have their 1970's appearance. The rest of the resort has been very nicely updated so these areas stand out a bit. But again, this is minor thing.

Room Tip: If you are going to spend a good amount of time in your room, paying extra for the lake view is prob...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Courtney N, Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for your recent posting and your recent stay at our property. I am so glad to hear of the exceptional service that you received from our concierge Jan. She truly demonstrates our motto of "People Pleasing People".

I also wanted to let you know that we are in the process of updating our Rewards program. In the next month, we should have our system updated, so that you can charge all of your dining and activities back to the room, to make your earning process so much easier. I am sorry that it did add to the delays in service. We definitely use feedback like yours to improve upon our practices that are already in place.

Thank you for sharing the feedback on the service level you received in the Grand Cafe also. I have shared your feedback with our food and beverage team. We do take your comments to heart, as your feedback will help us improve. I hope that you will come stay with us again soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

We only stayed one night. I loved the prairie style of the hotel. We were impressed with the property(s) and want to go back for a longer stay. We had our 2 kids with us and used the water park all day. They loved it. The next morning we went to use the hotel pool and it was crowded. There was very limited seating and it seemed like people "reserved" their chaise by leaving their towels out. The water aerobics was neat. Wish we had a longer stay, it was quite and had beautifil grounds. I would like to ask if it is an industry standard to have uncomfortable beds.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent posting. My name is Courtney Nobilio, and I am the Director of Marketing Communications here at Grand Geneva. It is great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay and your time at the waterpark.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and taking the time to review our property. I did want to let you know that it is not an industry standard to have uncomfortable beds. It sounds like we failed to exceed your expectations in this area. We take your comments to heart, as your feedback will help us improve. We welcome the opportunity to speak to you more about your recent experience. Our General Manager, Brett Sundstrom, can be reached at (262) 249-4713.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

We got a great deal on Travel Zoo to stay here. Our room was nice enough, smelled a little musty, but not too bad. We had a little patio door/balcony that looked over the golf course and pond. Two queen beds. We got a roll away for our third child. The bathroom had a neat tv in the mirror. The kids were mesmerized by it.

It was quite a hike to the pool as we were in an end building, but we walked through all the buildings and got there. The pool area was nice. It had a hot tub, kiddy pool, and larger pool with arcing fountains. Towels were there and they even had chilled towels for the hot day and flavored water. Drink service was available. The loungers were really comfortable and fun summery music played from the speakers. There is also an indoor pool that looked good.

This used to be the Playboy Club many years ago. It's thought provoking to picture what it must've been like back then. The hotel has a couple of nice restaurants, but we didn't try them. There is also a gift shop.

Room Tip: Further away from main building for quieter maybe. Closer to amenities if that's what you favor...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your recent posting and for sharing feedback about your stay. I am glad to hear that you were able to relax by the pool and keep cool with some of the pool amenities we have available to our guests.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I have shared your comments about your room with our housekeeping team. It is through feedback like yours that helps us improve. I hope you and your family can make it back again soon.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

The landscape around the hotel is gorgeous and impeccably maintained. The inside is grand and unique. There is plenty to do to make your stay anywhere from totally relaxing to fun and exciting. The beds are comfortable...my only complaint is the pillows are rather hard. Overall it was a grand experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent posting. It is great to hear that you truly enjoyed the beauty of the 1,300 acres that we offer here. Thank you so much for providing feedback on your stay. I have shared your feedback on the pillows with our housekeeping team, and we will be sure to take a look at those. Hopefully you can make it back to the resort again soon.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

The grand geneva is a well groomed property with comfortable rooms. We had a king suite which was quite spacious and clean. The health exercise facility was also very nice. Although we didn't play, the course did appear very well kept.
Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent posting and for your recent stay with us. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at the resort. Thanks for sharing your feedback as well. Hopefully you can come back and play The Brute or The Highlands sometime soon.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Well - I attempted to write this review shortly after our stay in June, but you're not allowed to review the same property twice within 90 days. So, here it is (a little late). As you may see from my previous review, we had visited this really great resort for my birthday in April and when my son's birthday was approaching in late June, we decided to come back. It's a 5 hour drive from St. Louis so very do-able. Once again we had an exemplary stay. The people really make this resort the great experience that it is. But, that's not to say that it's not beautiful in it's own right. Once again we had the very large suite exactly like last time. This is a truely comfortable, lovely suite with large seating area and very sweet patio overlooking the golf course/ lake. At night, the lake's fountains are all lit up and so pretty while sitting on the patio. However, my Mom's room was just an ordinary room and had very little seating but she spent most of the time in our suite anyway. Once again, we ate at The Chop House and it was very good with excellent service. This time we also tried the more formal northern Italian restaurant upstairs (the name escapes me) and found the food a bit disappointing. My Mom ordered a half order of a pillow- type pasta (like ravioli but fancier) and do you know what she was served? Three (yes, THREE) pillows on a small plate. We just looked at those 3 lonely little pillows and laughed. I told the waitress, that was quite frankly 'shocking'. I mean I think if you knew that's what someone is going to be served and that it's going to look shocking - which anyone would, I don't know - I think maybe I would have said something to the customer so they would understand that it was going to be such a small small offering. Well, they certainly made amends by bringing not three more, but six more pillows. I think they did charge me for a full order, so it wasn't complimentary. But, Oh well. The service otherwise was beyond reproach. It felt like the service in a very fancy big city restaurant - like they anticipate your every move and pick up an empty glass almost before you set it down and if you get up to use the restroom or something, when you return, your napkin is freshly folded and they place it on your lap when you sit down. (I'm a sucker for that stuff).Such a treat.
Anyway, the only other thing I'll mention is I wish they would do something about the bathroom facilites at the pool. We had a very nice swim and ordered lunch and drinks by the pool and the young people who work the pool were lovely - very attentive and very fast. I have to think they were all college students and they were top-notch. Loved the iced towels. But the facilities are a real problem. You have to go into the main building, down a long set of steps with limited signage telling you where to go. Then a little bit down another hall. And then, it's a one-person bathroom. So there was someone using it so I had to stand in the hall with wet hair and just wait. I almost didn't as I had to leave my autistic son up at the pool with my 91 year old Mom and that makes me understandably nervous. Luckily, the other woman came out fairly soon but that was never a given. So I really feel they need to do something about that.
But I won't end on a down note, because we really do LOVE this place and recommend it very highly. But very very highly recommend only the suite. Just Lovely

Room Tip: Suite Sweet Suite
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Courtney N, Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Thank you for your recent posting about your stay in June. My name is Courtney Nobilio, and I am the Director of Marketing Communications at Grand Geneva. Thank you for returning to the resort for another family celebration. I am glad to hear that your family had an enjoyable experience.

I am glad our team in Brissago was able to rectify the issue with your entree. I have shared your feedback with our Chef and his team.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We truly do value it, and we use your feedback to help us improve. I have also shared your feedback regarding the pool restrooms with our management team. As we continue to strive for excellence, customer feedback is important in the improvement process. Thank you for staying with us again. I hope you and your family can make it back again soon!