We spent 3 nights at the Grand Geneva Resort & Spa immediately following our wedding as a "mini-honeymoon", as conflicting work schedules made it difficult to take a more lengthy trip. While the property is gorgeous and the staff is very courteous, room prices are somewhat exorbitant (and the $15 daily "resort fee" is ridiculous). Note that the resort grounds and public areas have been more recently renovated and are much nicer than the actual hotel rooms. As all my reviews are somewhat lengthy, feel free to scroll to the bottom for a quick summary.
The Grand Geneva is truly a beautiful property. The lengthy drive into the resort takes one over undulating hills and through a thicket of trees. Glances eastward offer inspiring views of one of the two golf courses -- gorgeous. The facade of the lobby has been recently renovated in flagstone and the entire resort is modeled in a contemporary iteration of Frank Lloyd Wright's "prairie style" architecture. Upon entering the lobby, the resort staff was extremely helpful, friendly and efficient. After telling the check-in clerk we had just been married, we were kindly greeted with a bottle of champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries shortly after getting settled in our room.
In short, our hotel room was somewhat disappointing, especially in comparison to the lobby and other public areas of the resort. While very clean and nicely appointed, I can't say that our room was any nicer than your typical Marriott or Hilton. For $270 a night, one tends to expect eclectic furnishings, a nice view...something a little out of the ordinary. While our room did have a balcony, it overlooked...the parking lot. Also keep in mind that all $270 gets you over the summer months is their base room ("deluxe guest room").
The bathrooms have granite vanities but are otherwise fairly "standard." One cool feature is the small LCD TV "built-in" the bottom of the bathroom mirror, however I find this to be more of a novelty rather than actually useful. I also noted some moisture damage in several spots in the ceiling above the shower.
As mentioned above, the exteriors of the buildings housing the hotel rooms seem much more dated relative to the lobby.
The service was IMPECCABLE. This was truly the shining star of our stay. The entire staff was extremely knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. Room service was very prompt. As mentioned above, the champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries delivered to our room shortly after check-on was a nice touch.
The service at each of the resort's restaurants was absolutely out of this world. We had a celebratory dinner at Brissago and were literally treated like royalty. We ordered the wine pairing with our dinner. After telling our server how much we had enjoyed one of the wines, he sent us back to our room with 2 glasses and the remainder of the wine bottle. Unbelievable!
The resort has several dining options, with the two "flagship" restaurants being Ristorante Brissago and Geneva Chophouse. As its name implies, the Chophouse is your standard variety steakhouse (albeit very upscale), while Brissago is a very finely appointed Italian restaurant.
All of the resort's food options range from very good to superb. As mentioned above, the Brissago restaurant was simply amazing -- I would HIGHLY recommend this spot. We enjoyed dessert one evening at the Chophouse restaurant and were very impressed. Food ordered through room service was also delicious, despite the fact that we ordered it at 12:30am! Lunch at the poolside cafe was also very good.
The pool area itself is very nice and is situated overlooking the golf course -- truly a postcard-perfect view. Despite this, a MAJOR flaw of the pool area (at least when we were there) were the absurd amount of bees which circulated the area. While multiple bee traps are strategically placed throughout the pool area, the bees remained a huge issue throughout our time spent by the pool.
While technically being in the city of Lake Geneva, the resort is nowhere close to the actual lake. While there is plenty to do at the resort (especially for those who like to golf and spend all day at the spa), those who wish to stroll the streets of historic downtown Lake Geneva and enjoy the lake's activities will find themselves a traffic-ridden 20-minute drive from downtown. We will therefore look into resorts situated directly on the lake next time we stay in the area, as we enjoy all that the town has to offer.
My wife had an 80-minute massage which she said was absolutely amazing. This was not cheap, however, at $185 before gratuity -- my wallet was hurting afterwards.
Overall it was a very restful and enjoyable stay. However, several pertinent negatives will likely direct us to try a different resort next time we're looking to stay in the area.
Fantastic staff, superb service.
Great dining options, delicious food.
Beautiful grounds and public spaces.
Rooms are VERY overpriced; views of parking lot are unacceptable at such a high pricepoint.
Large amount of bees at pool -- NOT enjoyable.
Drive to adjacent Lake Geneva can be significant on summer weekends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Geneva® Resort is the place to meet. Whether a corporate meeting, convention or a gathering with friends and family, the endless range of meeting rooms & space and activities will keep everyone engaged. Conveniently located between Chicago and Milwaukee, there is so much to do at Lake Geneva’s only four diamond resort.Corporate travelers and families alike will find what they need to re-focus, relax or rev-up. With over 62,000 square feet of banquet space, guests have multiple options to choose from for that important business meeting, church retreat, wedding reception or family vacation. Or take time and enjoy a relaxing experience at the newly renovated WELL Spa or one of many dining options, while an indoor waterpark and kid’s program offer the excitement kids crave. Enjoy a group bonfire at the horse stables, a fast plunge down a ski hill, a serene walk through the trails or a drive down a fairway on two championship golf courses – all situated on Grand Geneva’s seemingly endless acres.No matter your reason for meeting….it’s all here in one Grand location in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Geneva Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Geneva Resort And Spa
- Grand Geneva Hotel Lake Geneva
- Grand Geneva Lake
- Lake Geneva Illinois