“Quiet but remote”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Austin, Texas
“Quiet but remote”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The Grand Geneva is an older hotel that is been well upkept. The dining was excellent as was the service. We ate at the Chop House and Ristoranté Brissago and in the high dollar range as far as pricing. There is a Starbucks in the main lobby with a nice gelato bar. So I have to point out the downfalls of the Grand Geneva. The resort is in a very remote area so if you don't have car you will be stuck at the resort. The small pool area with not enough seating and very slow and then inaccurate pool side service (food and beverage), this occured on multiple occassions. The resort grounds are immaculate and it is quiet and if you have a ground level room you have a patio with seats outside. But watch out for the mosquitos as they are in abundance. The golf course is challenging and beautiful. If you want to get away this is the place for you, however it is on the pricey side for where it is at and what you get.

Room Tip: There are some rooms that are very, very far from the lobby so if you are traveling with anyone that...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 26, 2011

This huge resort was a departure for us, as we are usually more of a B&B couple on our romantic getaways. Although the main part of the hotel is clearly old, it is well-kept-up and our room was in great shape. We wandered around to check out the conference facilities, and they are extensive. I lost count of the weddings being held there over our three night visit.

I really would not recommend it for someone with mobility problems, however, as the staircases and floor levels appear designed by Escher. Yes, there is a central elevator, but should you choose the wrong level, you would immediately be blocked by stairs between you and your destination. The property seems a bit daunting for the mobility-impaired.

We did not visit the spa, the water park, or the stables during our visit, as we were more interested in the town of Lake Geneva. But the view from our lakeview room was lovely, and it was quiet except when people spoke loudly in the hallway. Service was unfailingly pleasant and helpful. We really enjoyed the breakfast buffet.

Would we go again? Well, it's not really our scene. We don't have kids to enjoy the waterpark and we neither golf nor play tennis nor ski (they have a ski hill). But it was certainly relaxing and had no "corporate" feel. We liked it.

Room Tip: Unless you like a hike, try to get a Building near the main lodge (like Building 3 or 4). Also, whil...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tigerb
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We visited here just in August. It was my husband and I. We went for a little mini getaway just the two of us ( we left the kid at home). It was a nice hotel. We stayed for one night before going to the Dells, but we enjoyed it so much that when we were in the Dells we wanted to go back. The room was clean and it had two beds. The only thing that bummed us was that there is a tv in the mirror in the bathroom ( you would never know unless it is turned on) and it wouldn't work. We called maintaince down and they couldn't get it to work either. So they gave us Timber Ridge waterpark tickets for the inconvience. While we were there that night, we went to both pools (outside and inside). Both were very nice. I enjoyed the outside pool. The next morning/afternoon we ate at one of the restaurants by the pool. Food was good. Then we checked out the spa/fitness center across the street. The facility was awesome. I was blown away by the locker rooms in this place. I didn't want to leave. They have massages going on in there, couches you can sit on, a hot tub (Yes, right in the middle of the locker room), showers were awesome. After checking out, we went over for the rest of the afternoon to Timber Ridge and had some fun at the waterpark. The Grand Geneva is more for adults. Timber Ridge is for kids. You will not be disappointed. It also has a huge golf course for those golfers out there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank huhmetoo
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The board I sit on had its retreat at the Grand Geneva Resort the last weekend in September 2011. I check in with Sue at the registration desk. My room was not great, it had a view of the parking lot, yet another member of the board had a beautiful view of the golf course, across the hall from me. I immeidately called the front desk for a room change and Sue answer the phone. She told me the only way she could help me was for me to pay an additional $30. The company was paying all expenses, room, food, etc. for all of the board members. I explained this to Sue. She told me I would still have to pay, even though the other board member did not have to pay. I went back to the front desk and Tiffany put me in a wonderful room (lake view as well as golf course view) with no extra money or no problems. Upon checking out 2 days later, unfortunately I had Sue again. She tried to charge my credit card for all of my meals, etc. even though the reservations were under the corporation's name. I picked up my invoice and walked over to Tiffany, whose line just opened. She tood care of everything without a problem. Avoid Sue - she does not know what she is doing. Tiffany is great.

I ate at each one of the restaurants during my stay. The food was just OK, but the prices were very high. I am a vegetarian and my total for 1 breakfast, 2 dinners, and 2 glasses of wine at the bar came to $122. Mind you this did not include meat.

The facility is very beautiful with nice hiking trails. Everyone from the maid staff to the concierge to the wait staff were very nice (EXCEPT SUE at registration).

Room Tip: Unless you want to pay extra for a decent room, avoid Sue. She does not know what she is doing!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Brodhead, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We celebrated our 40th anniversary at the Grand...and it was Grand! What a lovely, historic place. The former home of Hugh Heffner Playboy Club...updated but still kept the charm of the past. Warm and inviting common area, food choices ranges from sandwishes in a little coffee shop to elegant meal at the main restrauant. Walked around the ground and took in the stunning views of the lake. In all, a very good place to reconnect and head into another 40 years! We would go back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Berkshires, MA
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We stayed at the Grand Geneva for an out-of-town wedding: short and sweet, 2-night trip. When we realized all they had to offer, we decided that we want to return to the area for an extended stay. The resort was clean and the staff were helpful and professional. I am not in agreement with the "resort fee" concept: this should be built into the room cost. We were told that our resort fee included 2 bottles of water each day. When we didn't use both of them the first night, we only received one additional one the next day. I thought this was a bit on the "cheap" side. Although we have no children, I reviewed a kids' program brochure and found that there were additional charges for each kids' experience. This could make a trip rather pricey for a family. These things aside, we did enjoy our stay very much and would like to return. We ate at one of the restaurants and had a very good meal. In addition, the shops were very nice and we did purchase some items.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Went for a quick overnight, mid-week getaway with a friend, just wanted to sit by the pool, read, relax, etc. We shopped and had lunch in downtown Lake Geneva and arrived at the resort around 2:30. Our room was not yet ready, so we waited at the Pool bar for the Front Desk to call us. The rooms are "guarenteed ready by 4:00" so we figured the wait would not be long. About 4:15 when we had not yet received a call from Reception, I went to the front desk to inquire.... "Oppps, No one called you? " was the response. The room was lovely, but given that we were only staying for one night at a cost of about $300.00 for the one night (less than 24 hours; since check out time is noon) we were pretty mift about being "forgotten". Although the grounds are beautiful, the wait/bar /housekeeping staff are great and the food/drinks very good... It's not a Four-Star experience and not worth the money.

Room Tip: Ask/Pay for golf course view
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends