“no excuse for the horrendous service”

Grand Geneva Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
New York
“no excuse for the horrendous service”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I traveled to this resort on August 5, 2011 and was given a king suite in building 1. The room was large, but had stained carpet, old, musty blankets and absolutely no light - it was a dungeon. The worst part, however, was the bathroom. It was barely 2 feet by 2 feet, unusually small for a hotel bathroom and not at all well-appointed. In fact, in the the ceiling light fixture was leaking, getting toilet paper, toiletries and whatever else there was room for, soaking wet. I contacted the front desk regarding the leak 2 times on Saturday and 3 times on Sunday, even going to the front desk a few times and urging them to come and fix the leak. At 9:30 pm on Sunday evening, an engineer came to the room and told us that the leak was a "safety hazard" and that we must vacate the room immeadiately! (notably, he told us that he had gotten the call about the leak 7 minutes before he showed up). Given that my 5 year old son was sleeping, I refused and agreed to move the next morning. The next morning at 7:00 am, however, came a knock on the door from a hotel employee who told me that the room was condemned and asked why I was still in it. My thoughts exactly! Needless to say, they had a new room for us by 3:00 pm that day in building 6. The room looked like it was in another resort - light, large, working bathroom, etc. Makes me wonder why I had to spend 3 nights with my family in the first room. Management was apologetic and gave us a one night credit and $100 in food vouchers. Nice try but hardly enough to make up for the 3 days in the condemned room.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank clevergirlNewYork
MDGGRS, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 27, 2011
Thank you for your recent post. I apologize that you and your family had to experience these poor conditions.
I would welcome an opportunity to discuss this situation with you in greater detail. I may be reached at 262-249-4713 or brettsundstrom@grandgeneva.com

Kindest Regards,

Brett Sundstrom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed here for a wedding. The reception was at the hotel. We couldn't have asked for a better weekend without the kids. Everyone was delightful. The food was great! We would recommend this place to anyone and if we are ever in the area again, we would definitely stay here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed at Grand Geneva in January. Unfortunately, I stepped on a piece of glass in our room. I reported it to security with little reactionor concern from them. I ended up having to have surgery to remove the glass. The glass was there prior to arrival. I broke nothing! I have been in touch with Gr. Geneva several times and finally today(August 2011) was DENIED any payment for my surgery to remove the glass or reimbursement for days missed from work due to the surgery. I loved the facilities etc but this has put a damper on my feelings for Grand Geneva.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kimberly L
Chicago
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My foursome was on a golf trip to Lake Geneva for the weekend and were looking for a good meal after 36 holes on a Saturday. We ended up choosing the Prime Rib Buffet at the Grand Cafe because we had a Buy 1, Get 1 coupon through the Lakeside Saver coupon book. http://www.lakesidesaver.com/ We were able to use two coupons and had an umbelievable dinner for around $50 as opposed to $100 (price is $25 per person). What a great value!

There is so much more on the buffet than Prime Rib - although that was definitely the highlight. They offered nice salad options, crab legs, peel and eat shrimp, a couple different fish options, bbq chicken and several side dishes. To top it off they had a very nice spread of desserts. All very good! Just what was needed for an energy boost after a long, hot day on the course.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I travel much on business and stay at many 4 star hotels - this is NOT 4 star hotel - the grounds are very pretty and the golf course is nice, but the hotel is outdated (70's type) and not as clean as it should be. Very disappointed

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank rams19881993
The original resort was built in the 60s and the architecture is inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright and is a perfect example of organic architecture. Over the last 10 years the resort has spent millions of dollars renovating and enhancing the product. None of this matters if the staff does not provide exceptional service. I apologize for your poor experience. Thank you for your business as well as your candid feedback.

Brett Sundstrom
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I stayed at the hotel for five nights as was part of a large conference. I was in the last building to one side, on the third floor and my balcony faced the parking lot. There are no elevators and it is a long, confusing walk. By the third day I had it mastered.

The hotel property is spectacular - the golf course perfectly groomed, a lovely pool to overlook the water, a terrific sports center that is well equiped.

However, I was not so enamoured with the rooms, hallways or maid service.
The halls were musty smelling and in need of care. Two napking, straws and other assundry items were on the floor of the hallway of the building I was in for 2 1/2 days. There had been maid service, but my coffee was not replenished, one day a set of towels was not restocked and the fridge did not work. The bath products were nice and the TV in the bath a wonderful edition. Bedding was very comfortable.

The staff was pleasant - the cocktail watiresses and bell boys were accomodating. The conference food was fine, but I have had far better in similar resort situations.

If I were to stay in Lake Geneva, I would seek out alternative options.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 8, 2011

First summer visit, had good experiences before in the winter. This visit was a let down. For the price we paid, I would have expected more, like good service.

Checked in, had a minor bug issue in the room, not a big deal but we decided to switch rooms. The next room had a backed up shower drain. They sent some one to fix it, and that person gave us free waterpark passes, which was nice.

The next day, we got back from the pool in the late afternoon, room not cleaned yet. They showed up at 4 pm while kids were napping. They said they would come back in an hour, but they never did. We had to make several phone calls to house keeping, and they finally showed up at 9 pm.

The hotel has a nice pool, but it is way overcrowded on a summer weekend. We ended up using the indoor pool most of the time to avoid the crowd.

The spa is nice. The steakhouse is very good, however we brought our kids, and $15 for buttered noodles......seriously?

On Sunday the placed emptied out, asked for a late checkout, they said no, not sure why. The parking lot was 2/3 empty.

The hotel staff just seems to be dialing it in, and I don't necessarily need to be pampered, but for the prices they charge, I at least expect good service.

• Stayed July 2011