“fun and interesting but not for the animals.”

Canyon Creek Horseback Riding Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Canyon Creek Stables. Take a step back in time and enjoy the old west on horseback with an exciting one hour guided tour. Enjoy our groomed trails as our expert guides take you through an old western town, past a couple of waterfalls and ride atop the famous "Lost Canyon".
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I had a blast at Cayon Creek! The petting zoo was fun and the animals were very nice! The horses were very tame and easy to control. I would have given this place 5 stars except for the fact the the animals were extremely dirty. I felt bad for them. The petting zoo animals were covered in dirt. The donkeys just look flat out depressed and dirty and the llama had mats of just dirt. The horses were also very dirty and their sweaty saddles were left on once we got done, which concerned me. Our guide was pretty nice, not very talkative, but nice and informative. I also was happy that they had ramps to easily get on and off of the horses. The trail was fun, as we saw a deer up close and many other nature-y things. The only other con is the ads are very decieving in the western town. It is very small and not impressive but the nature and hills made up for that. My family of 3, including a 10 year old, really enjoyed this, I just hope they clean up their animals. Until then, 3 stars.

1  Thank eskimopandas
There are newer reviews for Canyon Creek Horseback Riding Stables

Reviewed October 6, 2009

We had a great time with the four kids. Everyone there was bright and friendly; very helpful and informative. I grew up around horses and know what maintenance they can be. The horses are well fed, watered and cared for daily. There are over 100 horses and that is alot of hard work. We have been riding here since 1995 and keep coming back. That family is dedicated to their business and service. I recommend it highly! We also love Lost Canyon wagon tours on Canyon Road and Lake Delton. It is so beautiful there and not many know about this rare Dells canyon. Go see for yourself.

1  Thank Crazyhorse33
Reviewed September 7, 2009

The staff at this place is VERY rude, The horses are worked WAY to hard. If you want a great place to go go to Red Ridge riding in Mauston it is only 22 miles north of Cayon creek. I live in Madison and glady drove the extra miles to Red ridge the staff was very friendly and the horse are great.

1  Thank CHIPYONE
Reviewed August 25, 2009

We went on a ride and later came back to let our child see the horses again after they were done with the trail rides. They were all milling about in the open pen, and EVERY horse had saddle sores in various states of injury, or had scars from previous sores. One horse literally had skin HANGING off his body from where the girth goes behind the front legs. These horses are worked too hard, probably not groomed enough and the girl working there had the audacity to actually blame the saddle sores on the customers for not knowing how to ride. She said they put "stuff" on the sores. Growing up riding, I can tell you, these animals are not treated properly, and if they have open wounds should be taken off of work so they can heal. I would never go there again. Most people would never know that this is happening because they don't see the horses untacked. FOR SHAME!

2  Thank sun_lioness
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Unfortunately, we were not able to go on a horseback ride here as planned (our 7 year old got cold feet), but we did spend some time in their petting zoo.

When we were getting ready to ride the horses, the staff there was very rude. They were pretty much just bucking orders at everybody. Our daughter was a little apprehensive about getting on the horse that they brought her and they pretty much just told us to get off and go back and get a refund. I understand that they might be tired of dealing with scared kids, but they could have taken a minute or two to let us figure out how to handle the situation. We did receive a refund, which is why we are giving it a 2 rating instead of a 1.

As far as the petting zoo goes...We bought 4 cones of food, one for each of us. When we walked in the gate, we were swarmed by the animals, which usually would be a good thing. But not here. Most of the goats were downright mean, headbutting us and our kids and jumping up on on all of us to steal the food. The donkey followed my husband around biting him the whole time. One of the llamas actually charged us for what was left of our food. I was headbutted in the knee by one of the goats so hard that, over 12 hours later, it still hurts. The whole area was really dirty and run down. And we weren't the only ones. Pretty much everyone there was complaining about basically being attacked by these animals. There was no staff anywhere to be seen by the petting zoo either.

They make you sign a waiver to ride their horses, but they should really make you sign one for the petting zoo.

Again, we didn't make it for the actual horseback ride, but I can't imagine that it would make up for the rest of this experience.

1  Thank Gaslf