“Great Food! Expensive!”

House Of Embers
Ranked #12 of 27 Restaurants in Lake Delton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Description: Featuring Hickory Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Steaks, Seafood, Fresh Fish, and Pasta. We welcome families and large groups.
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great Food! Expensive!”
Reviewed August 23, 2008

Great Food! Expensive!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Madison
“Terrible Food And Service!! Do Not Waste Your Time!!!”
Reviewed July 30, 2008

My boyfriend and I frequent the Dells in the Summer months and enjoy the variety of dining choices in the area. When we want a pricey meal we always go to the Del-Bar for great food, service and atmosphere. Recently we decided to try a restaurant that we had never been to, The House of Embers. This was a huge mistake. When we arrived the hostess was a older woman and basically snub us right when she set eyes on us. She sat us a table that peered right into the kitchen and was crammed against the wall. I asked the beverage girl if we could be moved into the little private dining area the lacked the awful view, she said she had to go ask the hostess. When the hostess returned she told us there was a $10 charge to dine in the room assuming that we would not want to sit there, but I blew off her rudeness. After she sat us in the room she informed us that even though there were only two of us gratuity would be added to our bill. When I asked why she informed us that gratuity was added to all checks (TOTAL LIE!!!!, she either had a problem with us because we were in our twenties or because we are a interracial couple, probably both). We should have left after our whole ordeal with the hostess, but I chose to suck it up and not let her win. Our sever came and asked us for our beverage order and returned I kid you not 15 minutes later with our drinks, set them down and ran off before we could tell her we were ready to order. When she arrived back another 10 minutes later she took our food order and was gown without offering us more drinks or refills. Our food arrived after about 35 minutes; the server set the food down and did not ask us if we needed anything. I ordered the prime rib with a baked potato for $26.95. My meat was ice cold and the potato was barely warm. My boyfriend ordered a steak with steak fries for $19.95 and a 1/3 rack of ribs for $9.95. His food was barely even warm as if it were under the heat lamps for too long. The server never checked back until she was ready to send us on our way. We had our food boxed. The bill came and was as follows Prime dinner $26.95, steak dinner $19.95, 1/3 rack ribs $9.95, lemonade $2.95, room charge $10, and gratuity $13.75 totaling almost $90 for THE WORST DINING EXPERIENCE I’VE EVER HAD AND THAT IS NOT AN EXSADORATION!!!! They were lucky that I have class and was on vacation, because I should have informed management how terrible of an establishment they are running. Instead of making a scene I decided to take the high road and only dine at establishments that I’m familiar with that are respectable in the Dells and to never enter the House of Terror (Embers) again. I will also make sure to tell every last person I know to not waste their time experiencing such rudeness and to go elsewhere when they are in the Dells. If you want to experience good food and great service walk across the street and go to the Del Bar, because for the last 6 years of dining their our experiences have been nothing but superior and the staff treats you wonderfully. As for the House of Embers it is sad that their management turns a blind eye to terrible food and service.

3 Thank rox4231
usa
“Terrible food and service. Tourist trap!”
Reviewed July 24, 2008

My husband and I and our 5 year old wanted to treat ourselves to fine food, and decided on this restaurant. What a terrible mistake we made. We spend $135 and the food was not worth it, and the service was terrible. The waitress told my husband that the lobster tail would be HUGE, two people can share it. My husband ordered the surf and turf for $60. How disappointing. The steak was fair, and that huge lobster tail turned out to be small, dry and chewey. He was also supposed to get a simple side salad with his dinner, and had it exchanged with a caesar salad for $1.99 more. When the bill came they had charged us extra $4.99 for the caesar salad. When we brought it up to the waitress, she told us someone else had done the billing, and she'll delete the charge if we wanted her to. What? Wouldn't the right thing be to simply say I'll fix the problem right away. We were annoyed, but didn't want to complain, so we paid it all.

I had ordered the prime rib, and that tasted days old, and had too much fat on it. I ended up eating only about one third of it. They had it soaking in au jus, as if to cover up the taste of the old meat. I also had a baked potato with that, and had to ask for sour cream, which, in my opinion, should have been brought right away.

Our five year old's pizza was dry, with minimal cheese. She only ate one piece of it.

The food was not worth the money we spent. Believe it or not, we were still hungry when we left that restaurant.

If you're at the dells, stay away from this place. I don't think the management wants repete costumers, because they don't seem to want to provide a good service.

In my opinion, it's a TOURIST TRAP.

2 Thank flavor777
Roy, Utah
“Customer Service by owner a nightmare, coupons not honored, not kid friendly”
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My family decided to eat here after a day at one of the many waterparks which makes Wisconsin Dells a vacation hot spot. They advertised free kids meals with the order of adult entrees. We have 4 kids so it’s a great deal for us, and we always tip well in offers like these. We also ate with my husbands family who had a $10 off coupon they were given at their hotel. This restaurant has different policies than most. Since we sat together in a “party”, they would only allow one coupon or offer to be used. We asked for the manager as we were also told we could not split the checks between the families. When the owner of this restaurant came over, he seemed already irritated. We disagreed with his policies regarding the coupons and it was clear he had no intention of resolving the matter. He started accusing us of wanting all our food for free and refused to see if our orders were already cooking when me made it clear we wanted to leave, stating we would have to pay for the entire order (which is the law in WI). He called the police, as did we, because he said we would have to pay for all the food ordered. Turns out the waiter had not put our orders in, and if he would have checked, we could have resolved it, paying for our drinks which we offered to do in the beginning, and leave. To make matters worse, my husband left his cell phone on the table. The next day I was told there was a cell phone found, but when they went to go get it, they claimed it was someone else’s. We had Sprint trace our phone using a GPS system and they located it at their exact address. Only get this, only minutes after they traced it at their restaurant, it moved to the street which is parallel with their back building and dumpster. The owner’s response to this was “We don’t have your phone. If it moved then go find it”. I have never had an experience where ANYONE at a restaurant was so rude. What is shocking is that is was the owner himself.

3 Thank buttercup922
Deerfield, IL
“Another great meal at Wally's”
Reviewed January 7, 2008

I've reviewed this place before, but we were back this last weekend and had dinner here again, and it was excellent. We started by sharing a app of escargots which disappeared so fast it wasn't even funny...
My one son really enjoyed their clam chowder, and we had the spinach salad with warm dressing, which seemed a tad off to me this night, maybe a little on the vinegar-heavy side.
We always love their coconut shrimp and ribs, and since our last visit they have changed the presentation of these somewhat. I wish I had been able to take a decent pic, the shrimp are much larger than I remember- just huge, and they skewer them and serve them with the skewers stuck into a grilled pineapple slice. Very pretty, not to mention delish! One son had a rib eye steak, which was very tender. My only complaint is next time I'm going to split my entree because the shrimp were so huge I couldn't finish....

1 Thank irisarbor