5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Del Bar

The Del Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Del Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 28 Restaurants in Lake Delton
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: E Hiawatha Drive
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2010

We drove by Del-Bar several times a day while staying in the Dells and it kept calling me. It looks cool from the outside in a Frank Lloyd Wright kind of way with lots of triangles (a visual pun on the word delta?). We had dinner there on Saturday night, we were seated immediately at six without reservations. Ordered oysters on the half shell as an appetizer (6 for $10, not bad), they were delicious and had four choices, two Atlantic and two Pacific. They also offer an oyster shooter which is an oyster in a shot of vodka with cocktail sauce and horseradish - loved it. The salad was excellent, as was my entree of grilled salmon. The atmosphere was upscale without being snooty; we had two six-year-olds who got rowdy once or twice but we got nothing but knowing smiles from the servers and the people around us. All in all, I wanted badly for the Del-Bar to be as good inside as it looked outside and I wasn't disappointed. My kind of place.

• Polish first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2010

Indiana
“Much better than expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2010

If you read some of the reviews on this site. They will lead you to believe that Del-Bar is all show and no go. That in my opinion is incorrect. We arrived there and was seated right away. Within 60 seconds our waiter was offering us drinks. He promptly brought back said drinks (Water and a Vodka Martini $8.50) and we ordered our appetizer (cheese tray $9.50) and our meals (10 oz sirloin $27 and 10 oz Fillet Mignon $39) We had our appetizer in approximately 5 minutes after ordering. Our waiter waited til we were done and brought us our salads. Once we were done with the salads he brought our steaks which were prepared perfectly. Steaks were very flavorful and tender. For dessert we had peanut butter pie ($6.95) which was very good, After tax and tip our bill came to 110.00 for two people. I could not find anything wrong with this restaurant. If you fine dining for adults Del-Bar is a very good choice!

WI
“Del - Bar Good But NOT Good Enough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2010

I am here this week (April 2 - 4) for my kid's Spring Break. I always like to dine at new places away from the tourist traps in town. I happened to see some reviews good and bad about Del - Bar. So I checked out there website. Their website was helpful in looking at their menu and wine list. They had a early bird special and 20% of the wine on the list for Friday. So with my wife, my daughter (8) and my nephew (6) we all headed for our dinner at 5:00.

When we arrived there was basically no one in the dining rooms. Helloooooooooo. A woman greeted us and a man instructed her to take us to the back of the restaurant. I guess its because of the kids. We were led way in the back in a separate room just for us. I didn't mind at all actually, I like our privacy and plus with the kids we can goof around and not worry about bothering other guests on a more romantic dinner.

After about 5 minutes, a waitress did show up asking us if we wanted drinks first. I had already looked at the wine menu and so I ordered a bottle of Kongsgaard Chardonnay for my wife. It is one of her favorite white wines. Now this is one of the issues during the night that irked me. Knowing that they had a 20% discount I ordered the bottle of wine knowing the price ($122). Both the wine list on line and and the wine list at the restaurant stated a 2005 but what I got was a 2006. I noticed this once the cork was out. I mentioned this to the waitress but all she did was acknowledge the fact that it is a 2006. Now I would have thought a manager would have came and apologized for the mix up, but nope, nada, crickets chirping.

We did get a bread basket with some crackers and bread. Not exactly what I expected. On a good note, lol, they did serve us soft butter. We started with 2 orders of oysters for the adults. The kids chose hamburgers from the kids menu. Oysters were fresh and good. My wife chose the toss salad and walleye and I chose the spinach salad with the pork chops.

There was a fairly long wait for the food. I mean the place was empty. My daughter and my nephew went through quite a few Knock Knock jokes to kill the time. I think the waitress did come once for refilling my wife's wine but not much to attention to the guests. I mean the plates were stacking up and she didn't know what to take and leave.
I must say service should be a given if you are trying to establish your restaruant as a special place.

The food was good. My wife like her walleye and I liked my pork chops. Well the kids finished off with a sundae for dessert.

So the final bill with tip $250. Yes a large part of it was the wine, but the food was good but not good enough for that kind of price. Most of my complaint is about the service and management. Definitely need to step up a few notches in the service area.

wisconsin
“Total Rip-off”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2010

The food was horrible! Filet and shrimp was served raw (ordered medium) and cold with two tiny breaded shrimp...the garlic mashed potatos looked like they had been sitting out for about twenty minutes under a warmer as a film had started to form over them...we ordered two cocktails each and left with a 150$ bill and complete disappointment...service was mediocre considering that we spent so much on our meal figured we would have been treated a lot better....

1 Thank erinmarie23