“Excellent, Huge Portions”

The Green Owl
Ranked #11 of 27 Restaurants in Lake Delton
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Just a minute's drive from the Kalahari, Noah's Ark, Mt. Olympus, and all of the water park and resort fun of the Wisconsin Dells, The Green Owl is a family-owned restaurant and bar serving up delicious, homemade appetizers, salads, sandwiches, and more. What really sets us apart, though, are our handmade pizzas (made with 100% Wisconsin mozzarella) and delicious desserts, so be sure to save room for our peanut butter cheesecake. Pair that with a craft beer poured from one of our 8 taps, and you've got yourself the perfect evening out in one of the Dells' best hangouts.
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I had heard from both locals and TripAdvisor that The Green Owl was a good place to eat, and so we tried it for lunch. We arrived early and had a chance to talk with Barb, our hostess, about the menu. Barb was professional, friendly, and an expert on the food. My wife was delighted to learn the house salad wasn't your typical iceberg lettuce fare, and ordered it, while I opted for the grilled mushrooms & cheese crustini. The salad was very nice, with fresh greens and a house-made balsamic dressing. The crustini (3 half-hoagie buns, nicely crisped with herbed butter, covered with sauteed mushrooms and mozzarella) were very nice and tasty. Very filling, too.

When we talked about each of us getting a sandwich, Barb let us know that the portions were large, and that we might want to split one instead -- and we we glad for the advice! Not only was my appetizer so large that we had to split it, but the black bean burger we ordered needed to be shared as well: it was huge!

The burger itself was awesome: served in a poppy-seeded soft focacia. The patty was just crusty on the outside, while fresh and smooth on this inside, with distinct black beans: it was excellent! (It wasn't just something pulled from an "Amy's" box and re-heated.) It was served with a chipotle mayo that wasn't too spicy at all, and some pickled onions that sparked it all up. The only downside to it was that it tended to mush out from the sides when bitten into, but this only proved more to me how fresh it was, and scraping the bun sides with a fork (to reapply at a bite location) wasn't a big deal at all. (Anyone who has eaten good veggie burgers or crab cakes knows what I mean.) It was big enough that the greens and tomato on the side were simply eaten as a side salad, and not used as toppings. The bit of raw red onion on the side was powerful stuff, and skipped by us: younger folks can go for it.

The location was very nice as well, with a fair view of the river and dam below. Jackets were needed, as it was getting fairly crisp. The price was more than reasonable for the good food, and the smiling, knowledgeable service. I heartily recommend this place, and we will certainly come back again.

1  Thank Curtis1025
There are newer reviews for The Green Owl

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Get outside of the water parks & resorts. I loved this place. The setting is the best, you have to sit outside. The deck at night was fun with soft lighting. You can hear the water at the dam. There were families enjoying the setting as well as couples. If you don’t like the outside then don’t go here. The food is good, large portions and a very, very reasonable price. The staff was friendly and helpful and did a great job. He kept our drinks filled and brought the food out while it was hot even though they were busy. I had nachos and I could not eat them all and that is saying something. The only thing I have to warn others about is that the inside of the restaurant is small dark and dingy. Go here when you can sit out on the deck and take your time to relax. Or they also deliver I would recommend delivery in the winter.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

No body speaks english, seating out side is nice if you want to eat the forest. Would not go back. The food is over priced and not a very good selection

1  Thank Marijo P
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Was looking for a place to eat and watch the Packer Game on a Sunday afternoon in the Dells area. So glad the Green Owl was recommended to us. The setting is great, right in the woods above Mirror Lake. We sat at an outdoor bar and watched the game. The sandwiches were great on the homemade bread. Good portion size too. The turkey in my sandwich was roasted there as was the beef in my husband's "Beef Bomber" that he loved. We even tasted the pizza that was great. I would definitetly recommend this place. The outside seating was nice and rustic in the woods. Not part of the touristy part of the Dells.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Food was average (like most places in the Dells), but the setting above Mirror Lake was very pleasant on a sunny day. Plenty of seating at the bar or a table. Good beer selection. Makes a great stop on a Dells/Delton pub crawl.