See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 3, 2016

The plumbing was slow took forever to drain the sink and toilet flushes slow. It was the smell that got to me. Like old swimming pool chemicals. Made my eyes water and I coughed all night. Thought price was high for what it was.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
RAW905, Owner at El Rancho Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2017

We made every attempt to make our customers happy. We have remodeled the entire motel with new windows, siding, and new linen and new 39 inch flat screen TV' s and new lobby. Each room now has a refrigerator and microwave. New management. Unfortunately customers are not going to be happy no matter what we did. We take pride on what we have done to improve the look of the El Rancho Motel but guest do flush things that should not be flushed, the rooms are clean but we don" t know about toilets speed on less you tell the front desk manager and the maintenance crew can fix it, There are no pool chemicals as there is no pool in this motel. It is truly a shame that customers rate the place by such poor experience. A simple talk to front desk could have fixed it all. Bad reviews really heart a business for such little things. that could have been fixed on the spot. We hope to have you again at the Motel and we are very proud of what we provide here.

Reviewed August 24, 2016

This motel was built in the 1960's or 70's, and was once the nicest motel in town, and the adjoining El Rancho restaurant was one of the nicest in town as well...

The original owners sold it about 5 years back and it has fallen into disrepair. It is now considered only suitable for Truckers, Loggers, and Construction workers..

Stay away if you can..

UPDATE: The adjoining Restaurant, now called Finish Line Bar, burned to the ground on August 10th, 2016

Room tip: No Room is a good room.. ALL are old & decrepit..
Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo

We are so sorry to hear your comments on the guests rate you gave to the motel people staying here. As you think the truckers, loggers or construction workers have a lesser standard than you do. We have remodeled the entire motel with new windows, siding, and new linen and new 39 inch flat screen TV' s and new lobby. Each room now has a refrigerator and microwave. New management. Every body is welcome to El Rancho Motel, AGAIN don' t have to be a trucker, logger or construction worker to enjoy your stay here as they do need a place to stay during their working contract. We are sorry to hear it buttered you. The Motel was indeed built in 1972 but had so many major improvement since then, you should have noticed during your stay.. Should you wish we have [pictures to show you the before and after improvements.. Again we are so sorry this affected your stay.Unfortunately customers are not going to be happy no matter what we did. We take pride on what we have done to improve the look of the El Rancho Motel . Yes indeed it is so sad our neigh boor the Finish Line Bar and Restaurant had a fire but this should not rate or affect the Motel as their are many bars and restaurants within a few miles from the EL Rancho Motel. Hope you will come back again and enjoy your stay and try the great bars and restaurants around.

Reviewed December 26, 2015 via mobile

I called ahead because of a previous stay to see if any remodeling had been done. When I checked in there was an offensive sign hanging in the check in area. The 2 rooms I reserved stunk of mildew. There was mold in the tube of my room along with lots of water damage on ceiling. When I went to the lobby and got orange juice after drinking some I discovered a bug in it. The side walk was shoveled but you had to walk through some snow to get to sidewalk. The white sheet on top of the bed was dirty. For the price i paid it was not worth it. I gave them 2 chances. My family and I will not be staying there again.

Date of stay: December 2015
Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Sightsee507356
Reviewed September 28, 2015

I traveled to the area to see the fall colors. I knew I did not plan on spending my time lounging in a hotel room on this visit so I was looking for a place to sleep and shower. The room was inexpensive for the one night stay. Its an older hotel that could use some updating, but again I'm there to sleep.
The rooms have 2 doors, one that opens into the hallway of the motel, easy access to the lobby and the other to the parking lot, you park in front of your room. I do caution that the step from the sidewalk into your room is quite large. If you were not paying attention, going from the room to the outside could be eye opening.
The room was clean although it did have an odor. I bought a candle in town and burned it, I probably had the best smelling room in the place. If you are odor sensitive keep this in mind.
They offer a grab and go type breakfast. An assortment of sweet rolls, coffee, orange juice, oatmeal packet, etc. I liked the large styrofoam cups they offered for coffee, no lids through.

Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank CABurza

Thank you for your review .. since you ' ve stayed in 2015 we have put a new remodeled lobby, siding, windows, new linen, 39 inch flat screen tv's, hope you come back and see the improvement we' ve made to this great motel. appreciate your review.

Reviewed September 2, 2015

Air conditioner did not work, transferred to another room. The smell was horrible, cigarette/cigar/mildew. We had to purchase room air fresheners and Febreeze and spray everything. The smell was so intense, my husband and I had headaches, so we stayed away from the room as much as possible. Kept the windows open all day long to air out. The motel was booked so an alternate room was not available. The motel is a bit run down. Found bits and pieces of paper, paper clips, lollipop wrappers under the furniture, indicating that the cleaning staff are not doing a good job. A clean supply of towels and wash cloths will be supplied when requested. The Staff is friendly and helpful, free coffee, muffins and hot chocolate. We like the sound of trains. We were thankful the track was across the street. A freight train passes several times daily, enjoyed the train whistle. No telephones in the room, must bring your cell phone.

Room tip: Best price in Ladysmith, WI Convenient location to restaurants, small retailers and Walmart.
Date of stay: July 2015