“Northwoods rustic, clean, comfortable and sincerely welcoming spot”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lac du Flambeau
Dillman's Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lac du Flambeau
Chicago, Illinois
“Northwoods rustic, clean, comfortable and sincerely welcoming spot”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

The cabins are rustic with heavy wood furniture. My cabin had a full size fireplace and a fully stocked pile of wood outside the kitchen door. Also just outside the door was a Weber grill, a picnic table and a big fire pit stuffed with kindling and logs that was surrounded by chairs made of logs. Every view from every window was beautiful. The bathrooms have been recently updated and stocked with lots of soap and clean towels. The kitchen was small but well stocked including sharp knives, and wine openers.

I can say enough good things about the staff. Everyone was helpful, and encouraged us to just let them know if we needed anything at anytime. I can't wait to gather up my family and go back next year.

The staff recommended many interesting sites and restaurants in the area that we would have never found on our own. We toured the lake on the pontoon boat and our guide pointed out things of interest.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Pam H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Amherst, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 30, 2014

My friends and I look forward to coming to our Dillman's Collage Workshop with Laura Lien-Svencner each year. We start planning the next years adventure the day the workshop ends!

The setting is idyllic, the hosts charming and the education is invaluable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 1, 2014

If experiencing AMERICANA is on your bucket list, you need to make a trip to Dillman's Bay Resort. Before chain hotels and crowded breakfasts in hotel lobbies there were the HOUSEKEEPING COTTAGE RESORTS of the Northwoods! What a lovely experience, friendly staff- welcoming to us and our dog. You can experience the "pioneering spirit", venturing the beautiful northwoods property, campfires, fishing, indoor and outdoor games THAT ARE PLAYED TOGETHER AND DO NOT REQUIRE A NOSE GLUED TO TECHNOLOGY! Great adventures to be had WITH all the basic comforts of home included! Our pioneering relatives didn't enjoy flat screen Direct TV, DVD's, full kitchen and necessary supplies and comforts. We visited as winter turned to spring but sleeping with a cool breeze off the lake and listening to the loons and lapping water is certainly priceless!

Room Tip: Screen porches are huge bonus!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank HapppyTravelers
Monroe, New York
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My husband and I attended a wedding at Dillman's this past September. The first thing I found to be wanting was that they told me they would not accept a credit card reservation; we had to send a check. In 1980 that may have been the norm, but in 2013 it is unheard of and inconvenient for guests. However, the wedding was being held at the resort, so it didn't make much sense to stay somewhere else just because Dillman's didn't take credit cards. After I sent the check, I got an email confirmation of our reservation.

About a month later, I got a long, rambling messgae on my voicemail from Sue, informing me that they were not in the habit of holding reservations for more than 24 hours without a deposit, and had not yet received ours. She added that "as a courtesy," they were waiting for me to call back, but had moved us to a different room because "another gentleman" wanted the room we had reserved, and that if we expected to keep the room she had moved us to, she would "have to hear back today." I called back and spoke to another staff member, whose name I don't recall, who did apologize for the rudeness of the woman who had left the message. At 1st, she couldn't find any record of our deposit, and had to call me back. At that point, she told me that she had found our reservation and our deposit-- evidently, they had logged 2 reservations, one without a deposit under my name, and one with a deposit under my husband's, which made no sense. I was told it was probably due to the fact that when our check arrived, they filed the deposit under my husband's name, because his is printed 1st on our checks--- yet another reason they should accept credit cards. It turned out that the person who wanted our room had a physically challenged spouse, and the room we had reserved was handicapped acessible. We had no problem accommodating this and changing rooms, but it would have been appropriate to let us know this in the 1st place, not just tell us that someone else wanted the room.

These things probably wouldn't have mattered much to us in the long run if the accommodations hadn't been so terrible once we arrived. At 1st glance in the daylight they looked decent-- rather outdated, some stains on the carpet, but hey, we don't go barefoot in hotels, so it wasn't too awful. After going out to dinner, however, we returned and found that the overhead light didn't work, from the wall switch or the extremely short pull chain. I put my yoga mat down on the floor and discovered old popcorn all along the edge of one of the beds, which was gross. I swept it up and went to take a shower, only to find that the shower curatin liner was covered with slimy mildew. The room was a little stuffy, so my husband tried to turn on the overhead fan-- guess what? It didn't work. So, we turned on the fan in the window air conditioning unit, and it blew tiny bits of styrofoam all over the room. We went to bed disgusted, and listened to the people in the next room and their barking dog through the very thin walls all night.

In the morning, we requested a different room. We spoke to Sue at the front desk, who told us that due to the wedding we were attending, they were at full occupancy. She didn't offer any recompense other than sending cleaning personnel to our room with a list of our issues. We returned to the room after a couple hours. The overhead light was on, but could not be controlled from the wall switch; you had to use the pull chain. I literally had to stand on a chair to reach it. The overhead fan still didn't work. My husband went to take a shower, and the slimy mildewed liner had not been changed. We went to the wedding ceremony and reception and came back to the room for another miserable night.

The next morning, at about 6:00 a.m., my husband got up to make breakfast (we had rented one of the apartment style rooms, w/ kitchenette.) He found the frying pan in one of the cabinets, and it was covered with a thick layer of grease. If you stuck your finger in it, it would have left an indentation-- disgusting! I went to take a shower-- they must have changed the liner sometime the previous night when we were at the wedding, which was a slight improvement, but it was a cheap plastic liner that stunk like vinyl (the previous, mildewed one had been fabric.)

When we went to check out, shortly before 8:00 a.m., there was no one there, just a note to leave your keys. I've stayed in many hotels and motels, and I have never before seen a place that doesn't have anyone on staff by 6:00 a.m. It was just another example of the unprofessional "service" provided at Dillman's. We will certainly NEVER go back there, and would recommend staying in a Motel 6 before staying at this dump. The setting may be idyllic and beautiful, but the accommodations were awful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tawnyfrog
dillmansbay, Owner at Dillman's Bay Resort, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Natalia and Robert:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We are very sorry you didn't have a good experience at Dillman's. Certainly that is not our intention or goal - especially when you were coming from NY for the wedding of such a wonderful couple. To address your concerns, I have looked back through our email correspondence and notes in your file. The two last names (phone reservation and deposit check) did cause problems for your 2-night say in our computer system; however, it was sorted out before you arrived. My name is Stephanie, I was the second person you spoke with on the phone, on our call, I said we do take credit cards (Visa, MasterCard and AMEX) - but we prefer checks/cash to avoid the additional credit card fees, this is also noted on our website. You are right, we are a small, family run resort and we do try to minimize our credit card fees, when it is convenient for our guests. About 75% of our guests are returning vacationers, and they are usually very happy to pay by check. But again, we certainly do accept credit cards.

Yes, you are right, as a family run business we do not staff our desk 24/7. The sign at the front desk provides our phone number, which rings in our home, on the property. At 6am you could have called if you needed any assistance during your checkout.

We do sincerely apologize for the lack of cleanliness with your room - a lakeview in the Northshore. I know Sue sent the housekeeping to address your concerns. It is our goal to have our rooms clean and ready for occupancy and we are very sorry we disappointed you on your stay.

We appreciate your flexibility with switching rooms so the person with the handicap accessibility needs could be accommodated. That was very kind and generous of you and we know that party also appreciated your flexibility. Again, we are sorry Sue didn’t initially communicate the exact reason for the move to you on the voicemail left.

Please feel free to contact us by email and/or phone if you would like to discuss any of your concerns in further.

Stephanie
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 22, 2013

If you are looking for a fun and relaxing escape, this is where you want to be. My family has been visiting Dillman's Resort for five years. I was looking for a relaxing environment where we could spend time together with phones and computers off and where the kids could enjoy a multitude of fun activities. Dillman's fits the bill. From the second we drop off our luggage we have something to do. The short list starts with kayaking, canoeing, swimming, fishing, and we launch our own boat for water skiing. Evenings are around the campfire with s'mores and the occasional trip into Minocqua when we don't feel like cooking. The cabins are very clean and the staff(which is hard to say because they are more like family) are extremely accommodating and friendly and very helpful in assisting you in making the most of your vacation time. The clincher here is that Dillman's has something for everybody of every age in your group. If it is just sitting in an Adirondack chair decompressing and reading while looking out at the lake, taking an art class, or going on a leisurely pontoon boat tour of White Sand Lake(which they offer I think on Wednesdays) everyone will find something that they will enjoy. The Robertson and Skotterud families have been running Dillman's for years and it is no surprise that they have it down to an art form of its very own. We have had many fond memories at Dillman's and always look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank John G
Wheeling, Illinois
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed in North Shore 1 & 2, though we were part of a large group for a wedding, and I saw several rooms/buildings. The placement of the resort on the peninsula into the lake is gorgeous and access to the water just like you owned the place - so that is great. Also, they are dog friendly, and offer multiple fire pits (they supply the wood too) for great nights under the stars. You have to give them credit for an amazing location. However, as far as the sleeping rooms go, they are spacious, but furnished in 1980s dorm furniture - and our rooms kind of smelled of the dogs that had great vacations here previously. It's f a 'cabin in the woods' rental with a microwave and sink/dishes etc, so you can cook simple meals if you want. There's dish soap in the kitchenette and a hair dryer a bar of soap in the bathroom. clean towels. Cheap flat pillows and ancient bedspreads, but clean sheets. So, if you don't expect much in the way of 'nice hotel' and want a place where you and your kids can romp with your dog on vacation - this is a nice place. If you are looking for upscale furnishings and nice B&B touches - this ain't it.

Room Tip: there isn't a restaurant on property- but they do have a breakfast bar area, though they only ha...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Debra P
Northbrook, Illinois
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I and our children have been visiting Dillmans Bay Resort for a week each summer for over 35 years. We visited Dillmans again this summer with my married daughters, and grandchildren who are now the 3rd generation of our family who come with us to Dillmans each summer. Dillmans is a family run and owned resort with a kind and helpful staff. It is clean and has beautiful, well kept grounds with breathtaking views of White Sand lake. When visiting the resort, my family and I can enjoy fishing, swimming, kayaking, canoeing, or just laying on the beach while viewing wildlife such as eagles and loons. Dillmans is a safe environment where young children can have the freedom of being independent while either bike riding or playing on the grounds by themselves while their parents or grandparents have the peace of mind knowing they are safe at all times.

Room Tip: When making a reservation ask to speak to either Stephanie or Sue who are both extemely helpful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
#5 of 7 in Minocqua
Black Bear Lodge
Black Bear Lodge
#1 of 4 in Saint Germain

Been to Dillman's Bay Resort? Share your experiences!