“Frank Sinatra vibe and good food”
Review of Digger's Sting

Digger's Sting
Ranked #10 of 204 Restaurants in La Crosse
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Located in La Crosse's vital downtown with a free parking garage right across the street, this humble-on-the-outside restaurant would be easy to overlook, if not for TripAdvisor. We've eaten here twice in the last few weeks, both week nights with just a few other tables occupied. We had a good experience both times. We like the dark candlelit atmosphere with Frank Sinatra and Louis Armstrong playing softly in the background and the 60s era photos of Marilyn & the Rat Pack. The decor is a bit dated, but still with an elegant feel.

First visit we both had an excellent clam chowder and the evening special: shrimp and fish with pasta in a delicious sauce. Excellent margaritas too. Second visit, I had the filet, which, while tender and cooked appropriately medium rare, wasn't as flavorful as I'd hoped after previous reviews. My martini was a bit weak, but the baked potato and garlic toast were good. My husband had one of the fish specials of the day again and said it was very good.

The service is pleasant and quick.

We have eaten at several La Crosse restaurants while working here temporarily and this is one of our favorites. If only the steak had been better...

1  Thank Toonces

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Food and Service fantastic... Sean the Manager waited on us - couldn't have been happier....I had the Walleye which was prepared pan style - my clients who live in Lacrosse had steak and walleye. Wish it was closer to Chicago!

1  Thank Mp0010
Reviewed June 19, 2013

When visiting LaCrosse, WI on business, I decided to give this place a try. I was pleasantly surprised by how tasty everything was. The scallops and prime rib were the highlight! Both were perfectly cooked! I found the service to be a little on the slow side. Overall, this restaurant was a great experience. If back here again, I will definitely go back!

1  Thank suzyq76
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Opened in 1970 and still doing what it does best: quality prime rib, ribs and other classic fayre. We enjoyed the prime rib and bbq babybacks. The meals come with good side options (including garlic smashed potatoes!) and a soup starter (we had a good clam chowder). Atmospehere was a dark and quiet family vibe, which worked well.

When passing though LaCrosse we think its worth dropping in here.

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I only get a date night about once a month so we are pretty particular about our restaurants. We've somehow missed out on this gem all these years. What a perfect dinner! The ribeye was amaaaazing. A must have if you eat here. I had the scallops which were HUGE and delicious as well. Wait staff was very friendly but bartender Sam clinched the prize. We decided against other bars and stayed there for her service with great conversation with a smile. Solid five stars!

2  Thank MereConn

Been to Digger's Sting? Share your experiences!